Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everbody! New to the forum!

I have a 2017 Hyundai Sonata 2.0t and have a couple questions.

1. Do we need a tune after adding a cold air intake, or is it even worth installing one?

2. Has anyone added keyless entry/push engine start/remote start

3. How are our cars in regards to taking power upgrades?

4. Is adding springs a good option for a lower profile? Or should one save for a full coil over or strut/spring set up?

5. I want to add window visors, is there a brand you guys like, I found a couple on eBay that I may add.

6. Do you have anyone going for a VIP style, that’s the look I want and want to see some pics

Thanks again! New here, I apologize of this is the wrong area so please let me know !

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
1. Don't need a tune. Free flowing intakes are usually worth it.
2. Waste of money
3. They break... mod away until you find the breaking point
4. Your money and your choice. I prefer to be able to drive over speed bumps.
5. Don't care for them
6. VIP? Its a &^%ing Hyundai. Put some Mercedes badges on it if it makes you feel better.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
459 Posts
The Theta II platform isn't a good choice for mods (IMHO). The most popular tune option is the Uncle Lap 3 chip which costs around $600 for a modest HP gain https://www.k5optimastore.com/products/lap3-performance-tune .

If you want to go fast, Honda is better choice as there are hundreds of tried & true off the shelf mods available at reasonable prices. I'm happy with my 2.0T's performance as is, YMMV.

Welcome! 00000732

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,601 Posts
Not as much available for the LF as the YF.

Only real engine mod is the Uncle Lap 3 chip from K5 Optima store and intake and cat back exhaust.

IMO there is no performance increase changing the intake on a stock engine the factory air box and filter provide more flow than your engine is going to use. Add on CAI with cone filters look cool but most draw air out of the engine compartment so its not cold air.

Lowering springs are available from Megan ($150) Ark,($250), Storm ($250) Kennitic Eibach ($300) they vary in drop from Eibach at 0.8" to 1.75" ,with stock struts Id stay mild in the drop. I have a set of Megan springs but am not sure I am going to install them. There are no performance struts and shocks available as of now for replacement as far as i know. Coilovers are better but will cost you 4-6 times as much at $1000 and up

There are more mods available for the YF (pre 2015) than for our model, probably post most in the LF forum.
check out
K5optima store
shark racing
megan performance
ARK performance

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everybody and being patient with me, new to Hyundai’s!

I’m not trying to Pimp out my ride and try and be like a Mercedes. I was just curious to see what others have done to their sonatas.

I will probably just keep the ride height the same.

As far as power mods go, i think it is adequate for what it is. I think mostly for me I want to keep it a clean look. I probably won’t spend any money and power mods then, it seems to everyone it isn’t worth the trouble.

·
Registered
904 Posts
@jeffpaguio

There's also a lot of people who give bad advice.

Stay far away from the chip, it's not worth the issues you could experience. I know all the history of it and who brought both the chip and the tune to the US. With the chip it's more of a guessing game, the car is being tricked to raise the boost. The fuel maps, ignition timing and other tuning variables are not changed. The chip relies on the ecu to make these changes on the fly and if it miscalculates the result can be catastrophic. The chip is especially dangerous if you follow any of the advice from K5OS. At minimum you need catch cans and HKS plugs. If you buy a full exhaust and run the chip you will blow your motor since the free flowing midpipe will cause the car to overboost.

Right now your best bet is to buy an intake, bov, and maybe a catback (do your research). This will change the sound of the car and make it a bit quicker and more fun to drive. Then when the tune is released for your car you are further ahead. Don't waste your money on the chip....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
@jeffpaguio

There's also a lot of people who give bad advice.

Stay far away from the chip, it's not worth the issues you could experience. I know all the history of it and who brought both the chip and the tune to the US. With the chip it's more of a guessing game, the car is being tricked to raise the boost. The fuel maps, ignition timing and other tuning variables are not changed. The chip relies on the ecu to make these changes on the fly and if it miscalculates the result can be catastrophic. The chip is especially dangerous if you follow any of the advice from K5OS. At minimum you need catch cans and HKS plugs. If you buy a full exhaust and run the chip you will blow your motor since the free flowing midpipe will cause the car to overboost.

Right now your best bet is to buy an intake, bov, and maybe a catback (do your research). This will change the sound of the car and make it a bit quicker and more fun to drive. Then when the tune is released for your car you are further ahead. Don't waste your money on the chip....
Nice! Good explanation!

Yes intake, bov and maybe an catback will suffice. And to reiterate, a tune would not be required for any of the above mods?

I will stay away from the chip then. So as I take it, an actual tune by a tuner would be better? That is assuming the risk of losing the warranty though.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Nice! Good explanation!

Yes intake, bov and maybe an catback will suffice. And to reiterate, a tune would not be required for any of the above mods?

I will stay away from the chip then. So as I take it, an actual tune by a tuner would be better? That is assuming the risk of losing the warranty though.
No those 3 mods won't make that much of a difference without a tune. You might pick up 10-15 hp running premium with those mods though the car could adjust itself either way. You're more changing the way the car feels and sounds. The intake will allow you to hear the turbo spool and bpv release pressure. The bov will just amplify the sound and more than likely vent to atmosphere. The catback will help give your car a better sound as well, though keep in mind it's very hard to control drone on a 4 cylinder like this.

When a tune becomes available you will be able to upgrade the midpipe and take full advantage of your mods. With KDM stuff it's more of a waiting game unless you start with something older. Also with the newer platforms they won't be selling a flash module, so you will more than likely have to purchase an ecu that's flashed with a canned tune. This way you'll be able to return the car to stock if you have issue and you're still in warranty. It all depends on what breaks and how it breaks so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice! Good explanation!

No those 3 mods won't make that much of a difference without a tune. You might pick up 10-15 hp running premium with those mods though the car could adjust itself either way. You're more changing the way the car feels and sounds. The intake will allow you to hear the turbo spool and bpv release pressure. The bov will just amplify the sound and more than likely vent to atmosphere. The catback will help give your car a better sound as well, though keep in mind it's very hard to control drone on a 4 cylinder like this.

When a tune becomes available you will be able to upgrade the midpipe and take full advantage of your mods. With KDM stuff it's more of a waiting game unless you start with something older. Also with the newer platforms they won't be selling a flash module, so you will more than likely have to purchase an ecu that's flashed with a canned tune. This way you'll be able to return the car to stock if you have issue and you're still in warranty. It all depends on what breaks and how it breaks so keep that in mind.
Sounds good! Thank you for all the info, you definitely helped me better understand the platform. I will probably add an intake in the next couple weeks and maybe a bov if the intake sound isn’t enough lol.

Being new to Hyundai, I’ve comed to realize there is very little comparison for a car in the mid-sized segment that offers what the sonata does.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Just wanted to submit this - this little bugger added some MAJOR pull to my 2017 Sonata sawyertuning.com/?s=sonata
You're asking to blow up your car with that.

Hope you're running 5w40 oil, hope you're using premium fuel.

Watch out in the cold, those boost chips don't car if it's colder more dense air and you can overboost and blow your engine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts