Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy. Have a 2016 Tuscon Sport with about 90k miles on it. Just swapped the stock induction system for a AEM cold air and love the difference it has made. Planning on doing incremental upgrades to bump up the performance and was curious what others are getting into, as I can find very little info on people modding this car. Was thinking of grabbing the AEM charge pipe kit as well. However not sure if performance will be affected all that much as the current charge pipe is a decent size. Also interested in any info regarding exhaust setups that you guys have or might have seen.

Ultimately I would like to: Upgrade flywheel, charge pipe swap, full exhaust and tune the ECU to see if we can get a little more out of the turbo and optimize air/coolant flow for the new systems. Exhaust and ecu would theoretically be done together. Ideally looking to bump up to right around 250hp/tq.

Thoughts?

Also really curious to see if anyone has gone so far as to swap forged pistons, bored engine, change the intercooler and rock a bigger turbo or at least more boost. These Borg Warner turbos are supposedly pretty decent so really curious as to how much the stock one can output within reason. Discuss!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For those watching, just did a muffler delete with some new twin tips. Looks fantastic and sounds killer. Not too loud as was initially worried that it would be. Glad I went this route as opposed to a Magnaflow muffler.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Someone did a intake/exhaust/... on a 1.6T eco Sonata years ago.... much more pep or MPG available depending on your foot

Enjoy your mods. But, I doubt you can go overboard with the transmission.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I wonder how the marginal DCT will hold up with pushing more torque through it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I worry about the DCT a bit in terms of longevity. To be honest, it seems to perform a bit better after the current upgrades. More fluid off the line and less jerky at low speeds. I do think it's really in your foot though. Coming from nothing but manual cars since the dawn of time, I feel its not bad when you get the hang of it. Aka don't dump the clutch and gas it out of first and wreck your transmission. Better to drive it like an AWD and creep off the line then boost second and third. Especially since the low-end torque in first would be most suspect for transmission issues. Turbo seems to enjoy it. Not to mention it sounds fantastic shifting with the new exhaust. Probably gonna run that charge pipe kit here in the next couple weeks and see how it fares. I also saw that Rockstar did an offroad build for SEMA a few years back that looks and sounds absolutely beefy. Might post a spec list if I can find one and people are interested.

Also, for what it's work the engine was replaced about 3 months ago under warranty. Bent rod after oil burnt up shortly after dealer oil change. Took like 2 months to get repaired. Didn't cost a dime and had a new Sonata and Accent for a few months so not too terrible. But holy crap this Tuscon drives so much better than both the Sonata and Accent.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Had thought perhaps parts could be added from 201 hp Veloster (compared to 175 hp for Tucson) uses however, I believe thae additionl hp rating for the Veloster is due to different turbo used.
A 2016 Tucson with 175 hp uses a 1639 970 0016 with e-actuator (first diagram). The 201 hp Veloster uses a 5303 970 0466 with pneumatic actuator (second diagram). These two turbos are completely different except for the inlet flange of the exhaust manifold. The former turbo sits above the exhaust manifold, the latter below it. The air inlet and exhaust outlet are on opposite sides of the turbochargers. So not at all interchangeable. Fitting a 5303 970 0466 would require all the pipework around the engine to be changed. Unsure if any other parts could be used or help with increasing HP / torque.

This illustration shows 1639 970 0016:

And this illustration is the 5303 970 0466 used in Veloster;

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info and attached diagrams HSpeed! Interesting that the layouts are so different. My guess would be that the engine bay is larger and deeper than what's in the Veloster, allowing for a more vertical orientation. I wonder if the actual size of the turbo is different. Aside from a different tune, that would explain the bump in HP because I doubt it's due to the actuator. I could be wrong though. My guess is the ecu is more aggressively leaning on the turbo and more boost is being generated. Begs the question: what range are these turbos rated for in terms of output? Will have to dive deeper and see what I can dig up.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Believe different ECM tuning / mapping and larger intercooler may assist in making the Tucson equipped with 1.6 TGDI more spirited.

·
Registered
2018 tucson 2.0 AWD, 1992 Volvo 940 turbo, 1998 Volvo S70T5m, 1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0
11 Posts
Tork Motorsports
Select a Product | DamnFastDD.com

KIA and Hyundai 30HP for $300 Results 1.6T Gamma
So this is kind of disingenuous, you're not going to pick up 30 whp with a cat delete and a new intake filter without a remapped ecu. The gains that big would be coming from installing those parts ALONG with recalibrating the ecu and probably upping boost pressure. Not from just installing those parts alone.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Depends on the engine on what you get/don't get

Looks like the 1.6T might like to breathe easier. So, unless it can be proven by another dyno run with dissimilar results, power gains are there.

I don't think that the vehicle is worth anything other than "bolt on's". Nothing else to discuss unless OP are foolish with your money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts