Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Any of you who has an Oil Catch Can installed. Which one would you recommend? I have 60K now on my tucson and I know it's a little late to install one of these but I still feel like it's not too late to do this. Any recommendation that you had good experience with? Links to purchase would be very helpful too.

Thank you all in advance!

·
Registered
56 Posts
i'm looking to get more info on this process as well

my 2016 is approaching 51k and i'd like to start getting into some upgrades and customization to keep it in good shape and running smooth for the next 100k miles

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys I decided to go with the following link.

My question is, what's that extra filter at the top? It looks like it's an extra spot for the air to go in. Someone in there said not to do it because it can mess up your vacuum? I wasn't too sure what that meant. Anyone has any insight whether or not that extra filter is necessary or not?
The filter on top allows the CatchCan to vent into the atmosphere, the downside about that is it STINKS! and isn't good for the environment. I would recommend a sealed unit with a good quality baffle.

·
Registered
242 Posts
In the ad it states the filter is for pre-pcv vehicles I am installing one, that I put together from parts. It is possible, but unlikely that it could freeze in the winter. The engine bay would be quickly above freezing in the winter, and the PCV gasses are pretty hot leaving the engine, so I would think if it froze, it would thaw quickly. The low micron filter does not have a very large filter area, and may eventually plug up, causing some vacuum issues to the pcv valve.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the ad it states the filter is for pre-pcv vehicles I am installing one, that I put together from parts. It is possible, but unlikely that it could freeze in the winter. The engine bay would be quickly above freezing in the winter, and the PCV gasses are pretty hot leaving the engine, so I would think if it froze, it would thaw quickly. The low micron filter does not have a very large filter area, and may eventually plug up, causing some vacuum issues to the pcv valve.
The filter on top allows the CatchCan to vent into the atmosphere, the downside about that is it STINKS! and isn't good for the environment. I would recommend a sealed unit with a good quality baffle.
Thank you both of ya'll can you send me a link to the ones you guys are using in particular. I didn't even know the one in the link was Pre-PCV shiz I almost messed up my car and I don't even know how to install Pre-PCV. I barely learned how to do the normal one on youtube

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you both of ya'll can you send me a link to the ones you guys are using in particular. I didn't even know the one in the link was Pre-PCV shiz I almost messed up my car and I don't even know how to install Pre-PCV. I barely learned how to do the normal one on youtube
Something like this.

Note doesn't have to be a 3 port system you can get a 2 port or just block 1 port depending on your engine.
Or you can build one your self, or you can get a branded catch can which are normally better quality but the $$.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Something like this.

Note doesn't have to be a 3 port system you can get a 2 port or just block 1 port depending on your engine.
Or you can build one your self, or you can get a branded catch can which are normally better quality but the $$.
Thanks for the link and recommendation.
How can one tell if it's a PRE PCV or POST PCV setup? I bought the one I linked because it looked exactly the same as the POST per say PCV Setup.

Also, what's the point of Pre-PCV? I thought catch can purpose was to catch and contaminants coming after PCV anyway

thanks again for your time!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Pre pcv vehicles were like before 1973 (before emissions) and just let the engine crankcase fumes out into the atmosphere.
I could not find any catch cans online exactly like I am using.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the link I provided I guess only works with a Pre-PVC setup right?
They look exactly the same as a normal oil catch can lol

·
Registered
242 Posts
It can be used with both systems, you just use 2 of the ports
My catch can
IMG_20200728_122936618_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200728_123006123_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
So the link I provided I guess only works with a Pre-PVC setup right?
They look exactly the same as a normal oil catch can lol
yup just connect the catch can to your PCV and then output back to your intake, just get a sealed system with a baffle but you can use the one you have purchased.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It can be used with both systems, you just use 2 of the ports
My catch can
View attachment 449399 View attachment 449400

yup just connect the catch can to your PCV and then output back to your intake, just get a sealed system with a baffle but you can use the one you have purchased.

Thank you all for the comments.
The one that I provided is not sealed? If you are referring to the top part for the air vent isn't it already sealed if you are planning not to use the vent?
Also, it says that it's baffled but do you think the one I provided is not?
Sorry for the many questions, I just want to get this right and not mess up my car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts