Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Classic case of rusted and broken screw on the trunk door of my car due to all of the lovely Midwest winters that it has ensured. First off, I tried cutting the head of the screws with a dremel so I could use a flathead screw driver to get them out but the screws were so soft that the screw head gave way to the flat head. I then foolishly tried to twist the screws with channel lock pliers and broke off the head of one screw completely. So I’ve blasted the screws numerous times with PB Blaster and then tried using speed out screw extractor bits on a cordless drill. I got one of the screws out no problem however the other broken screw remains. It looks like the screw expanded for the extractor bits and I do not how to get it out. I have gotten the extractor to catch on to the screw but it will not budge. The bottom threads of the screw are sticking out and if tried twisting those with pliers but it still will not budge. Any words from the wise to the unwise?

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Is that because he could be working all night on it?

Hood Automotive lighting Black Car Automotive tire

I'm thinking threads could be broken inside that nutsert (rivnut) and it's well and truly locked. Maybe if you can get to the back of it inside and use a cutting disc to cut the back off the nutsert and have it replaced.

Or post some images of both sides so we can see what you have to deal with. I've never been in the situation personally.

Font Plastic Auto part Rectangle Transparency

1 - 3 of 3 Posts