Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Sonata SE with approx 38,300 miles. The car has 4 new tires and has been aligned recently. I feel the car wander at higher speeds (60mph and above). A small movement of the wheel and the car goes into the next lane on the freeway. I am aware that this car has electronic steering and was wondering if anyone knows if there is a parameter that can be changed by the dealer to stiffen the steering. I have heard something to that effect for the YF Sonatas.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata SEL
500 Posts
I have a 2016 Sonata SE with approx 38,300 miles. The car has 4 new tires and has been aligned recently. I feel the car wander at higher speeds (60mph and above). A small movement of the wheel and the car goes into the next lane on the freeway. I am aware that this car has electronic steering and was wondering if anyone knows if there is a parameter that can be changed by the dealer to stiffen the steering. I have heard something to that effect for the YF Sonatas.
Have you noticed a sticky feel when driving straight at highway speeds? As if the steering is stuck momentarily and some extra effort is needed to overcome, then you over compensate and end up in another lane?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes there is a slight sticky feel usually when turned to the right. The sticky feel is there when I want to change lanes, but when trying to stay in the lane I find myself veering off sometimes. It happens enough to be annoying.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I’m actually feeling this sticky feeling in the highway too. 2017 sport with 8,300 miles. Is not too much trouble as of now, but Is noticeable enough because I feel myself having to add more force to do the same thing I used to do with less force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Sonata SEL
500 Posts
Ok guys. This has been an issue with Sonata and Elantra for some time. Maybe all the way back to 2011 models.
This can be fixed. There's several threads about sticky steering.
I personally started one. Right now I'm heading off to work but I'll post some links to those discussions later today.
Or search for sticky steering.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't see anything on that post about sticky steering feel and no one has answered my initial question on the car wandering.
Is there a fix for that?

·
Registered
285 Posts

The wheel alignment could be incorrectly set. After the work was done, you should have received a report of the settings before and after alignment.

Do you have a report?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts