Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 Sonata SE with 28,900 miles has me worried a bit. Inconsistently, my car will have a short lived “shake” or “shudder” when I’m at a red light stopped and I when depress the brake and start to apply acceleration. In the moment between depressing the brake and pressing accelerator pedal my car has the “hesitating shudder” for a second. Sometimes I can prolong the shudder by partially depressing the brake when not completely ready to fully accelerate due to traffic in front of me. The shudder goes away as soon as brake is depressed and the car starts coasting with its own acceleration or applied acceleration by me. Did anyone have the same issue and had it taken care off by the dealer or by other ways? I have an appointment scheduled at my dealer but expecting to hear the classic “this is normal”. Thank you for your attention, and your replies are heavily appreciated!

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,671 Posts
Just a thought...if your engine has a "drive by wire" throttle valve your symptoms might be caused by your brake light switch being a little slow to switch off when you release the pedal. If the engine PCM is seeing a brake pedal input from the switch it will restrict control of the throttle.

I had a customer a while back complaining about a random misfire and I couldn't find any explanation for it until someone told me the brake lights were flashing on & off while driving. Every time the brake lights flashed on the PCM would reduce the throttle which felt exactly like an ignition misfire.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a thought...if your engine has a "drive by wire" throttle valve your symptoms might be caused by your brake light switch being a little slow to switch off when you release the pedal. If the engine PCM is seeing a brake pedal input from the switch it will restrict control of the throttle.

I had a customer a while back complaining about a random misfire and I couldn't find any explanation for it until someone told me the brake lights were flashing on & off while driving. Every time the brake lights flashed on the PCM would reduce the throttle which felt exactly like an ignition misfire.

Thank you for your reply! What exactly would cause that slow communication? And what could be the solution?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,671 Posts
It might just be a sticky switch, so replacing the switch would be the cure if that's the case. From what I've read on the forums, brake light switch problems aren't unheard of on Hyundai too.

·
Registered
689 Posts
it might just be normal but really depends on how bad the vibration is. I get it too when I take my foot off the brake at the red light but it doesn't bother me. What you should look at is how your RPM changes when you do feel the shake.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it might just be normal but really depends on how bad the vibration is. I get it too when I take my foot off the brake at the red light but it doesn't bother me. What you should look at is how your RPM changes when you do feel the shake.
It used to not occur. Or it wouldn’t noticeable enough to bother me. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Exactly like this. I’ve read deep into that thread and others before posting this one. My impression is that I should try to take it to the dealer and try to get them to reset the software on transmission or computer in general. But I hate dealing with them honestly. Awesome car, terrible service in my opinion. I don’t trust them but might have to take it in and try if issue becomes more annoying. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It might just be a sticky switch, so replacing the switch would be the cure if that's the case. From what I've read on the forums, brake light switch problems aren't unheard of on Hyundai too.
Nice suggestion! Definitely will look into that. Thank you

·
Registered
206 Posts
Exactly like this. I’ve read deep into that thread and others before posting this one. My impression is that I should try to take it to the dealer and try to get them to reset the software on transmission or computer in general. But I hate dealing with them honestly. Awesome car, terrible service in my opinion. I don’t trust them but might have to take it in and try if issue becomes more annoying. Thanks!
At the end of that thread I changed the oil filter and my issue went away. If you are doing your own service you could try that as-well. I haven't had anyone else try this on the forum tho, so this is just what I did.

I haven't taken my car in for any service since purchase.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
....!!UPDATE!!....

Took my car into the dealership in Flowood MS, USA and after back and forth with service advisor, I got to talk to a technician(Tyrone-seems caring and knowledgeable). He took my car in and came back out and said that I had something going on in the intake and that I also needed VCMA replacement. No work performed yet because it’s a Saturday but he said to schedule during a business day and he will take care of me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At the end of that thread I changed the oil filter and my issue went away. If you are doing your own service you could try that as-well. I haven't had anyone else try this on the forum tho, so this is just what I did.

I haven't taken my car in for any service since purchase.
I do my own oil changes and have changed the filter several times during my oil changes. That did not affect how the car acts on the current isssue. I just posted an update!

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
Welcome to the forum
Please fill in your profile, location, model, year, trim etc.
Please post your further questions to the appropriate forum thread. This is not the correct place.

·
Registered
28 Posts
....!!UPDATE!!....

Took my car into the dealership in Flowood MS, USA and after back and forth with service advisor, I got to talk to a technician(Tyrone-seems caring and knowledgeable). He took my car in and came back out and said that I had something going on in the intake and that I also needed VCMA replacement. No work performed yet because it’s a Saturday but he said to schedule during a business day and he will take care of me.
Hey did the fix work? I got a 2017 and the shudder is driving me nuts. HELP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts