Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I bought used 2016 Hyundai Sonata plugin early last week. It ha been working great until recently. Wondering if anyone has seen this charging issue before. Sorry for length wanted to get all the details in.

Charge at 120V. Normally don't use schedule at all, just plug and charge

Tuesday morning noticed it hadn't charged at all, car started in HEV mode
Monday was the first day I had let it actually use all charge on way home, forcing it to switch to HEV

Drove HEV charge mode to work, car said it gained 6 miles electric range at end
When starting car going home it said I actually had 15 miles electric range
Drove home leaving about 10 electric miles range left

Plugged in about 3:30, said 50%. Green light on, power supply charge light on. Said about 5 hours to charge.
Glanced around 4:30, green light still on
Checked car at 6:00. Green light off, power supply charge light off. Still at 50%, so it wasn't charging at all even when green light was on.
Pulled plug from car and put back in, Green light goes on, power supply charge light goes on
Checked car at 7:45. Green light off, power supply charge light off. Still at 50%
Set schedule turn-on at 7:50. It did turn on at that time
Checked morning 4:45. It had charged to 70% but still shut off early. Good at least it does charge a little so power supply seems good. Said about 3 hours to charge.
Set schedule turn-on at 4:50. It did turn on at that time
Checked 6:10. Not charging, still at 70%. Turned off schedule and started "charging"
Went to work 6:40. Green light on, power supply charge light on. Actually decreased to 67%.

Notes
Started getting colder here. About 15-20, so not super cold but colder than last week
Again, Monday first time I had let it actually deplete electric charge and force it to switch to HEV

Anyone see anything like this? The car is still under MFG warranty so I may take it in. Also may try a L2 charger if I can find one.

Thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
So funny, exactly that happened to me yesterday. Plugged in the car as normal, but it didn't start charging. Tried turning the engine on, moving the car around a bit - nothing. I unplugged and plugged in about 5 times total. Then I created a charging schedule, then turned it off, and it started charging.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting, has it worked fine ever since? I took scheduling off again.

I've been thinking it is cold related. I took it to dealer and it charged on their level 2 charger. Since then it was warmer last week and it started working again on my L1 at home. Now this week it got colder again and it didn't charge on my L1 once or a public L2. Strange thing is that i unplugged and plugged again and then it charged. Recent case only drove about 4 miles on EV.

Also at the dealer they couldn't clear the scheduling so had to reset something in the fuse box. Then it started charging. So it is possible the "reset" did something as well. Trying to get the dealer to contact Hyundai support to see if this is known issue.

The real curiosity is that the chargers are drawing energy. The L2 charger reported 2kWh drawn, and I put a power meter on my L1 and it also shows power being drawn. So maybe the car is charging but SW bug is not showing it, or else I don't know where the energy is going.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts