Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Finally got my car back yesterday after 51 days in the shop. Looks like they swapped out the onboard charger and the driver cluster. The check engine light is gone at some $10k in parts, labor and car rental. WOW. My car show I only have 15 miles now instead of 8715 miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Would you please share the details of the repairs they have performed on your car? My car is older model 2013 hybrid limited. But I'm curious to know further about the problem

·
Registered
32 Posts
Can you review/share your repair history and find out what error code was displayed to generate the check engine indicator? Previously I posted (May 2016) about a P1E0C OBD2 error code I was seeing. My car seems to have had similar repairs to yours back then.

Some background, when I saw the engine light I used an off the shelf OBD2 BlueDriver reader and app to discover the code P1E0C. My Hyundai dealership did not recognize this code

I was told the problem was my Clipper Creek 220V charger. I feel that response is just noise since the connector on the car is supposedly J172 standard and the aftermarket charger is J172 compliant. Clipper Creek makes a great product.

Just today, my check engine light came on. Yep, error code P1E0C. Called the dealer and was told that since I am using a aftermarket charger, bring the car in and we will see what Hyundai says.

By the way the car drives and still charges at home with not a problem. The check engine light came on after driving to Atlanta and putting the car in charge mode(HEV hold) internally so I could have battery for around town traffic. So, whose charger is causing the component failure/error code?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Check out this thread: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/sonata-all-hybrid-models-yf-lf/445257-2016-sonata-phev-check-engine-indicator.html

"Replace the Generator Control Module if any one of the following DTCs are set:

P1AF0 (Drive Motor Control Module Hybrid/EV Battery Voltage System Isolation Lost)
P1B0B (Drive Motor Control Module Hybrid/EV Battery Voltage Isolation Sensing Circuit 2 Low Voltage)
P1E0C (Hybrid/EV Battery Voltage Isolation Sensing Circuit 2 Low Voltage)
P1E12 (Hybrid/EV Battery Voltage Isolation High Resolution Sensing Circuit 2 Low Voltage)"

FWIW.

·
Registered
32 Posts
An update on my P1E0C code. Took car to the dealer and was told it was my Clipper Creek J1772 compliant wall charger. Dealer said since I was not using the Hyundai charger repairs might not be covered. I sent a letter to Hyundai and got an immediate written response that compliant aftermarket chargers would not void the warranty.

The day before I was to take the car in the warning light went away. Did a scan, OBD tool shows 1 confirmed trouble code, yep still P1EOC. Still went by the dealership. They said that without a warning light on, nothing they can do. Come back when the light is on.

Maybe next time, 22K miles on the vehicle and still an excellent daily driver. Battery only during the week, sips a little gas sometimes on the weekends.

Oh, the dealer did say they were discontinuing the Sonata PHEV. Too many are sitting on dealer lots unsold. Realize I live in Georgia, none are sold here.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
An update on my P1E0C code. Took car to the dealer and was told it was my Clipper Creek J1772 compliant wall charger. Dealer said since I was not using the Hyundai charger repairs might not be covered. I sent a letter to Hyundai and got an immediate written response that compliant aftermarket chargers would not void the warranty.

The day before I was to take the car in the warning light went away. Did a scan, OBD tool shows 1 confirmed trouble code, yep still P1EOC. Still went by the dealership. They said that without a warning light on, nothing they can do. Come back when the light is on.

Maybe next time, 22K miles on the vehicle and still an excellent daily driver. Battery only during the week, sips a little gas sometimes on the weekends.

Oh, the dealer did say they were discontinuing the Sonata PHEV. Too many are sitting on dealer lots unsold. Realize I live in Georgia, none are sold here.
Yes, that bit about the Sonata PHEV sounds like a typical salesmen trying to downplay a car that he doesn't have to sale. Interestingly, in Houston there are now 5 PHEVs for sale new, there is one at five different dealers, so they are starting to be sent nationwide. If they were having trouble selling them, the rebates would be much larger than $2000, such as when the 2015 Sonata Hybrid had a $5000 rebate, not to mention the extra rebates, like loyalty, you could get on top of that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What was the issue with your Hybrid

I am a new member and have not found anyone who can explain exactly what did the dealer do to fix this
issue ?? I have the same warning except it states "DO NOT Drive"

give me a hint as to what I can tell the dealer to check, here in Pa USA ??

thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just want to advise at 60,000km this issue has happened to my car 1 year after I initially asked about it.

I'll post the full story later, it isn't good. Also, please ensure that if you get the Hyundai Premium warranty that it covers more than 5 days of rental.

I was told initially the first part they tried, to fix the issue, which is a water pump would take 2 weeks to arrive, after complaining, it took 5 days as the dealership expedited it.

This did not fix the problem. The second part is apparently a cruise control module, which I was initially told could be 30 days (did I mention the extended Hyundai Premium warranty gives 5 days of a rental vehicle???) but the dealership is going to try to get the part from the USA (I'm in Canada), and apparently Hyundai Canada is not reimbursing them for exchange or duties.

Driving a dealer loaner currently.

This car is literally driving me crazy. I'll post a full story if there is interest.

Buyer beware as there are other similar posts of similar problems with this fairly unique car, and people have been out of a car for a month or more.

A small other gripe to be aware of, that I need to get off my chest.....no android auto in it for some reason although I think it is available in the USA on the 2016 plug ins....what a nice reliable high tech plug in car with a great warranty....way to go Hyundai Canada.

If anyone has any tips on who/how to get a hold of someone who can do something at the company, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

·
Registered
516 Posts
"no android auto in it for some reason although I think it is available in the USA on the 2016 plug ins..."

It also is available in the US for the 2016 non-plugin hybrid because I was able to install it. I really do not understand why Canadian cars seem so different. Maybe it's some kind of regulatory thing.

·
Registered
657 Posts
It looks like I will keep away from PHEV or similar... Even though I wanted to save few $ on gas and be nice to the earth, most likely I will buy some 300+HP monster (Camry 2018, wink, wink, nudge, nudge) and enjoy POWER instead of living at the dealership.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My opinion is do not to get this car, or any other Hyundai/Kia/IONIQ plug ins, maybe hyrbrids too....I would actually go a bit further and suggest not buying anything from them at all, based on the service at least Hyundai provides. It has been a disaster for me, sorry for the long read.

The car is still in the shop (it has been 18 days now), they installed the cruise control module thursday, still showing error codes. Now it's the " Integrated braking actuator unit" they need and of course it is on back order and they need to get it from S. Korea... unknown delivery date. Prior delivery dates for the previous parts were about a month which reduced after probably 10 hours on the phone with the dealership and Hyundai Canada and numerous visits to the dealership.

Hyundai corporate offered me a gas card and advised they are working with the dealership but will no longer be talking to me, as of Thursday. Paraphrasing a long conversation I was told "no-one will be calling you back, we are working with the dealership, you can contact them" (I'm serious). This is after speaking to corporate about 6-7 times, of course waiting on hold every time, each call being on average 1 hour and not being called back when promised a call back within a few days.I was not able to escalate to a "supervisor" except once, I was advised there are no other avenues and they are the only customer facing dept, multiple times.

Nobody is helping other than the dealer, although the dealer is doing things that, in my opinion, should be happening anyways either by them or corporate. Things they have done:

• expediting parts ( they drove and got it from the USA all at the dealerships cost, otherwise it would have been 30 days...I'm in Ontario)
  • giving me a loaner car (remember my "premium" warranty rental coverage is ONLY 5 days....On a aprox $53,000 car...minus $8,000 in gvmt rebates + warranty)
  • covering the tolls for one day on a toll highway.
Since this issue happened on July 5th:

• I have spent an additional 27ish hours commuting, working out to 2.25ish hours a day(can't use car pool/green vehicle lanes) ABOVE my regular commute, and this is in the summer with less traffic.
  • I have spent an additional $270 dollars on gas
  • I have had the dealership tell me that I haven't been inconvenienced by this
  • I have had the dealership tell me that they will take the loaner car away from me if I drag their name through the mud by posting online reviews
  • I spent $40 dollars for 1 day on the 407 toll highway
  • I have had to use vacation time from work to go to the dealership (including previously, before this issue, taking a day off over 2 visits, for a recall, that my car didn't end up having...but i didn't complaint, not a huge deal...now it is.)
  • I have spent countless hours calling and emailing the dealership, and calling Hyundai corporate, and getting nowhere....my estimate would be probably 2 hours a day (some days 5 hours, some days none). And now corporate wont talk to me.
  • I have had to change summer plans because of it....Summer is only like 3 months here.
How is a car impacting me so much, I don't have time to do anything after work because I can't benefit from the perks of the expensive car I purchased...I bought this car to save me time and money. I bought it for the exact features they advertise. I can deal with it being in the shop for a few days...but not this...and there is no end in sight, in my opinion. Most nights I can't even get home in time to change, eat and mow the lawn (Try to do it before 8:00). I know I picked my commute, but I picked an expensive car to help me with it, time and money wise.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I'm going to start posting this everywhere, I don't know what to do.

Please beware of this company and if you already have this or any other car they make (I would assume KIA and IONIQ are the same) ...good luck if you run into any issues that take longer than a few days or is outside the norm.

I am not the only one with this or a very similar problem, check carcomplaints (someone who posted had their car in the dealership 5 times for longer than 81 days total, as I am now in contact with him, google Hyundai sonata plug in hybrid check hybrid system, google Hyundai complaints, read these forums the good and the bad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't they have Lemon laws in Canada?
Unfortunately not and that's my problem. Now that I have been shut down by Hyundai Canada customer service, I only have the dealership.

There is a vehicle arbitration process called CAMVAP which I am researching.

Yesterday I got email addresses for a bunch of executives, and I have sent them an email with my story.

Next steps are CAMVAP, more social media, review sites and I'll try local media on a slow news day lol.

I have asked the higher ups to reach out on monday or tuesday as I am off of work, otherwise I'll start with the other options.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hard to believe there isn't something like a Lemon Law in Canada. Even if not, I'm sure there is something you can do legal wise and get their attention. I'm in California and actually lemon lawed a Genesis Coupe and honestly it went as well as i would expect. It did not deter me from getting my HSH which has been wonderful to me so far. I guess maybe there are some advantages to living in CA, lol.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Unfortunately not and that's my problem. Now that I have been shut down by Hyundai Canada customer service, I only have the dealership.

There is a vehicle arbitration process called CAMVAP which I am researching.

Yesterday I got email addresses for a bunch of executives, and I have sent them an email with my story.

Next steps are CAMVAP, more social media, review sites and I'll try local media on a slow news day lol.

I have asked the higher ups to reach out on monday or tuesday as I am off of work, otherwise I'll start with the other options.
Chris, sorry to hear your saga. If it makes you feel any better, I'm on my 4th check engine/hybrid warning light. I've called corporate and asked for a regional rep to get involved.

Each time I've gone to the dealer (2 different dealers), they've checked the code and found nothing wrong, resetting the system...until the next time the warning light comes on. Mine is a 2017 PHEV. Our friends have the identical car and never had an issue.

Corporate was very nice on the phone, but they haven't called me back, despite 3 calls to them. With my 4th visit coming up at some point soon, I'm in to lemon law territory.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I had the "Check hybrid system soon" warning on my non-PHEV '16 about a week into owning the car. I had just turned the corner on a not-smooth section of road when it came on. I pulled on to a side street and ran the diagnostics and it showed nothing. I used BlueLink to request a service appointment and they found nothing remotely either. I got the car into the dealer thirty minutes later. But I turned the car off when I went into tell my wife what happened.

The dealer also found no codes and said that some codes clear when the car is shut off so they reset the light. They said that if it happens again I should drive directly to the dealer without an appointment and they would look at the codes before it got shut off.

They did go to each of the seventeen or so "high" and "low" computers and removed and replaced the connectors. They thought one might have not been fully engaged. I've since put over 22,000 miles and fifteen months on the car without it ever coming on again.

·
Registered
123 Posts
According to the dealer service tech, they were asked to pin test some 119 leads in almost all the harnesses for the Hybrid system and all checks out fine. The light is intermittent . As of 8/6 hyundai techline has authorized the inverter replacement, should arrive wednesday. I emailed Hyundai Corporate customer care and the assigned me a case number to reference. Seems like the email got something moving as the day after they called me things started moving very quickly. I am on almost 40 days now. If this fix does not work I will be lemoning this car.
Did you LEMON your car?

·
Registered
123 Posts
After 50 totals days in the shop for Failure to Charge the PHEV battery, I am pursuing the buyback of my PHEV through the Lemon Law (state and federal). I posted about it in a separate post though, not wanting to clog this post up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Aarrgh...

I love my 2016 Sonata PHEV, but last weekend I was hit with the Check Hybrid System warning and the car would not go into Ready mode to drive. Fortunately I was not in a dangerous situation. Hyundai arranged for the car to be towed to the nearest dealer, where the problem was handled much like others described in this thread. The service rep has been very pleasant and gave me a loaner car right away. I just got word that the diagnosis is a battery failure (I do not know the specific error codes) and they have ordered replacement batteries for the car. Just like I've read from others, it will take 4 weeks for the replacement batteries to be delivered from S. Korea, then 1-2 days for installation. I'll be driving the loaner for over a month. It's not ideal, and I will miss the amazing mileage of my PHEV (not to mention the ventilated seats :)). I hope that there's no damage to the interior from leaving it out at the dealer lot in the hot desert sun for over a month.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Good luck! Be sure to find out exactly what parts are/were replaced!

I had my sunshield on my front seat and they didn't use it. If you have one, ask them to use it. After 30 days or so, I went to my car to retreive some items and discovered this. I put it up although I had begun the lemon law buy back with Hyundai corporation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 47 Posts