Hyundai Forums banner

121 - 140 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Exact same problem here in Gainesville. Please let me know if they actually traced the problem to a sourc
Exact same problem here in Gainesville. Please let me know if they actually traced the problem to a source! Please! The dealer is perplexed. Same model 2016 Hybrid Limited.
I was having the same problem. Car sat for 4 month cause I didn't want to deal with it. Replaced the power relay assembly (part: 37514-E6000) today like others have said and the car started right up. It's in the trunk under the mat and styrofoam under the silver metal plates right on top of the battery. Easy to replace on ur own if ur out of warranty and don't want that bill for the dealer to fix it.
Screenshot_20190914-011839.jpg

·
Registered
286 Posts
I am curious if those relays on this module are in sockets and can be replaced individually (assuming that the relay is available from electronics/power supply house)? Seems this is a high failure rate item and it's probably just one of the relays on the module that goes out. Has anyone with a bad module dissected it to see what the actual failure is?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am curious if those relays on this module are in sockets and can be replaced individually (assuming that the relay is available from electronics/power supply house)? Seems this is a high failure rate item and it's probably just one of the relays on the module that goes out. Has anyone with a bad module dissected it to see what the actual failure is?
I thought about that and removed one(pain in the butt to do) and looked it up online. Found an average price of about $100 per relay. I found the whole assembly for $200 so I went that way instead. What's interesting now though is I still get the "check hybrid system" after a long drive. So I went in the trunk after I got home and the relay assembly was so hot I couldn't touch with my bare hands. Trying to figure that one out now

·
Registered
286 Posts
That sounds uneconomic to repair the module if the individual relay costs $100 and a whole assy. can be had for $200. So that avenue seems to be a dead end.

As far as heat, have you verified that the cooling fan in the hybrid battery area is properly working to move out the generated heat? There should be some venting to the rear cabin area of the car under the passenger seats. I remember seeing some other forum threads where these vents got accidentally covered by a duffel bag and caused the battery compartment electronics to overheat triggering a Hybrid Warning MIL.

Also, what is "hot" to the human hand is not anywhere near what power electronics normally operate at. Something that is 120F will be uncomfortable to touch but power electronics often work normally up into the 200F or higher range which would burn skin. So the unit feeling hot may not indicate a problem although your warning light is definitely saying something is amiss.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That sounds uneconomic to repair the module if the individual relay costs $100 and a whole assy. can be had for $200. So that avenue seems to be a dead end.

As far as heat, have you verified that the cooling fan in the hybrid battery area is properly working to move out the generated heat? There should be some venting to the rear cabin area of the car under the passenger seats. I remember seeing some other forum threads where these vents got accidentally covered by a duffel bag and caused the battery compartment electronics to overheat triggering a Hybrid Warning MIL.

Also, what is "hot" to the human hand is not anywhere near what power electronics normally operate at. Something that is 120F will be uncomfortable to touch but power electronics often work normally up into the 200F or higher range which would burn skin. So the unit feeling hot may not indicate a problem although your warning light is definitely saying something is amiss.
Yeah I've checked the cooling fan and it's all good. No blockages in the ducts to the batteries. Unfortunately the problem seems to be with the relay assembly that sits on top of the battery. There is no cooling fan or any kind cooling going to it. It's just sitting there getting hot. I don't have anything to get a temperature on it but something is happening because the car won't start after a long drive. Wait 15-20 minutes while it cools off and it starts right up. Maybe I'll try replacing the safety plug people have mentioned. Who knows 🤷

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yeah I've checked the cooling fan and it's all good. No blockages in the ducts to the batteries. Unfortunately the problem seems to be with the relay assembly that sits on top of the battery. There is no cooling fan or any kind cooling going to it. It's just sitting there getting hot. I don't have anything to get a temperature on it but something is happening because the car won't start after a long drive. Wait 15-20 minutes while it cools off and it starts right up. Maybe I'll try replacing the safety plug people have mentioned. Who knows 🤷
Are you still having the problem then? I thought the relay assembly fixed it except you believe it's running hot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Are you still having the problem then? I thought the relay assembly fixed it except you believe it's running hot.
I has kind of fixed the problem I guess. I mean the car runs except for after a long drive that I have to let it cool down a bit before it'll start again. I put the old relay back in yesterday to see if that was the problem and it didn't start. So I guess it's part of the problem but now trying to figure this out now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just had this happen to me on my 2015 Sonata Hybrid during rush hour traffic driving bumper to bumper on our busiest bridge. That was no fun. Car has 65k km on it and has regular maintenance. Now it has a check engine light so hopefully they find the problem. I guess if are not moving and it fails, the car won't drive at all since the engine is not started? Well it seemed like that but luckily turning off and on the car got me to the Hyundai Dealership where they kindly told me that they will "try" to take a look at it today. I guess they expect me to drive with a check engine light on, good luck with that I'll "try" not to get upset if they don't check the car today :/.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Any pics of these "vents" for the battery in the trunk?
I've had this issue now start up on a 1200 mile trip from AZ to NE and every time we stopped for gas or to stretch our legs, we'd get the "Check Hybrid System". We had a great couple of techs at the Alburquerque NM Hyundai dealer let us stop in and get a code ran on it, that's leading to the P1B77 code for "Voltage Pre-charging Fault".
We ran across this thread on our phones (I thought I had seen it before browsing threads) so I knew I could turn to the forums for answers. Again, had NO problems on the trip down and driving through the mountains on our way out of AZ. (even with going from FULL battery using brakes and coasting to 1 bar almost depleted battery using it to help climb the high grades)
We dropped the car off at the dealer earlier today on our way into town (called ahead) and they are going to work with the techs to find out just what should be replaced. I'm now concerned that perhaps the cooling vents could be an issue. This latest trip is nothing new for us, so since things were packed the same on the way down to AZ as on the way back and our other LONG trip during a college tour had the trunk packed, I'm leaning towards something in the Hybrid system NOT liking extended travel times!!!!! I'll update what the dealer ends up doing, and they are providing a loaner for now. I would think Hyundai would be interested in a recall or a service bulletin on the Hybrid issues.

IF you get the CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM warning: give it a around 15-30 minutes to cool down and try to restart. This should get you going.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Any pics of these "vents" for the battery in the trunk?
They're part of the back seat. Look at the vertical part of the seat right in the middle, maybe five inches above the floor. There's a grill there that brings cooling air from the car interior to the battery. If you pile a bunch of stuff (or set a large handbag or stuff for a college visit or college move-in or move-out) on the back floor you could block it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
ahhhhh.
Well, that's not the issue then cuz that was clear from obstructions during the trip back.
Dealer is ordering a new power relay thingy that the code lead them to replace. $500 part under warranty, but it'll be fixed.
I gotta loaner for now, should have it back tomorrow or Friday when the part gets in. Should be a quick fix.

·
Registered
605 Posts
So I got the car back today, everything is running good.
Dealer said that there is a TSB for the issue, so obviously it's out there that this is an issue and if they keep happening, this may go to a recall for the problem.

·
Registered
286 Posts
So I got the car back today, everything is running good.
Dealer said that there is a TSB for the issue, so obviously it's out there that this is an issue and if they keep happening, this may go to a recall for the problem.
Can you please post to the forum what your repair paperwork shows as to the Part Number of the item(s) that were replaced to hopefully correct this issue? If the paperwork also references the TSB they mentioned, post that also.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quick update on my situation. I got a different relay assembly, I found a totaled Sonata. Guy sold it to me for $50. This one came with the Panasonic relays instead of the ones that came with the original relay assembly. Installed, car started right up. Took a 5 hour trip. Shut it off expecting it not to turn on but surprisingly it started right up! Has been good ever since. Maybe the first relay assembly I got had bad relays, I don't know but it's running good now with no check system messages, no check engine light. Take it for what u will. I also found a good place to buy parts for cheaper. Sparekorea-dot-com. Got the safety plug there for $60 shipped compared to almost $300 the dealer here wanted

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
Can you please post to the forum what your repair paperwork shows as to the Part Number of the item(s) that were replaced to hopefully correct this issue? If the paperwork also references the TSB they mentioned, post that also.
Code was : P1B77, TSB # 19-HC-001H states to replace PRA module

Part # 37514-G0000 = Relay Assy Power

Replaced under warranty. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the EXACT SAME ISSUE.

2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid, Steve Shomo, VIN KMHE34L16GA015823

Since early September 2017, I’ve experienced an intermittent “Check Hybrid System” warning when trying to start the car on long trips. This problem is becoming more and more common when driving continuously at highway speeds. When starting the car, the computer performs a system check and finds this error. At this point, the computer “will not” start the car. The hybrid system refuses to “boot up.”

NOTE: I have never yet had this issue while driving around town locally or for short periods of time. (1 hour or less)

This always happens after driving the car at interstate speeds for 1 or more continuous hours. When you stop to get gas or go into a rest area, the system refuses to “boot up” for 15 to 45 minutes. When the system has had enough time to COOL DOWN?, the car will start and the “red check engine” light remains on.

The first instance was September 6, 2017 returning from Columbus Ohio. I pulled into a gas station to fuel. After filling up, I could not start the car. I’ve attached a video of the dashboard control screen when this happens. (2018-03-09_HEV start up system failure.mov) After repeated attempts, it finally starts after 10-20 minutes and the car electronics “boots up.” Once the diagnostic system allows the car to start, the red check engine light remains lit.

When I returned to Greensboro, I immediately took the car to Capital Hyundai here in Greensboro. A service DTC scan indicated a saved code of P1990. According to the service reports, the code represents a high voltage warning on the electric input line to the Oil Pump. Once the system cools down, or is not being run continuously on the interstate, a test of the electric line to the oil pump comes back with no problems.

On a trip to Boston in October, I experienced the same problem at a service area where I stopped to get gas. The following day after I’d arrived at my destination, I took the car to the Hyundai Village Dealership in Danvers, MA. The DTC scan showed the same P1990 code. They also performed an “engine off” oil pump test which passed.

In late December, after visiting our children and grandchildren in Boston, the car failed to start at a rest area returning to Greensboro in early January of this year. We went inside to eat and after 45 min, the car booted up, again with the red engine light.

During my regular oil change and service I relayed this to XXXXX there at Sport Durst. The DTC scan again revealed the P1990 code, but there was no time to test the system which I presumed would have passed.

we just returned from a trip to Alabama. (March 9-12, 2018) Every time we stopped both going down and coming back, the car would not start. Once we got to our destination and drove around town once or twice, the red engine warning light would go off. The car ALWAYS starts when cold. After returning home on Monday, the red engine warning light just went off this afternoon. (3/13/18)

Here is my uneducated guess. During long periods of driving, there must be some HEAT related to that high voltage line going to the oil pump. This issue stops the computer system check from starting the Hybrid system. When you stop and the electrical system cools down, the car will start normally. Driving around town or locally does not get the system hot enough to create the code.
Did you finally resolved this? Im having the same issue right now!!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Did you finally resolved this? Im having the same issue right now!!
You should be OK to keep driving, but the problem will persist. Just give it a about 15-30 minutes and it should cool the capaciter enough to allow it to start. Get to a dealer and share this info with them. Hopefully it's still under warranty for you.

The one big thing that bugs me about this issue is that there's no fail safe to securely drive without the Hybrid system functional. Why not allow a limp mode that will let you just run with the engine???? What were you thinking Hyundai????

·
Registered
150 Posts
You should be OK to keep driving, but the problem will persist. Just give it a about 15-30 minutes and it should cool the capaciter enough to allow it to start. Get to a dealer and share this info with them. Hopefully it's still under warranty for you.

The one big thing that bugs me about this issue is that there's no fail safe to securely drive without the Hybrid system functional. Why not allow a limp mode that will let you just run with the engine???? What were you thinking Hyundai????
That's because the electric motor acts as a torque converter, i.e. it speeds up the car from 0 to a few miles per hour, until the gas engine can kick in. It also provides additional torque at low RPM.

For all this, it needs a fully functioning hybrid system. So to even start moving, you need a fully functioning hybrid system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, I was getting the same problem as few of the posts above. I would drive long distances and then the car wouldn't turn on when I try to restart. I would get the check hybrid system error on the dash. I was assuming it had something to do with cooling as it would start right up after 5 minutes. But I would get the check engine light which gave me the code P1B77. Hyundai got the same error as shown in the pic below. They replaced the power relay assembly under warranty under FTSB 19-HC-001H. I have yet to take a long drive but I will be testing it out soon to see if it happens again. Hopefully not as this gave me anxiety! I'm just glad I got it taken care of under warranty.

f

121 - 140 of 145 Posts