Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new member posting for 1st time...

Bought my Sonata brand new on July 31 2016, added every extended coverage the Dealer offered so paid a fortune for it...I drive it about 2,000 miles a month for my job, 90% highway miles...never had an issue up until this past Christmas 2017 when I got my first system display message saying I had a Transmission Control problem and to seek service...Dealer said the error code P1776 was researched and they replaced the Oil Pump assembly..drove the car a few hundred miles and seemed to be OK

The following week (mid-Jan 2018) when I was driving home from S FLA, after about 100 miles of driving I stopped to get gas. When I tried to restart the car it was "dead" and I got the Check Hybrid System and the message about a Powertrain System issue and to seek service...it had plenty of power, but would not turn over and would not drive...I had to let it sit for about 45 minutes before it started again. Once it did, I drove the remaining 250 miles home. When I got there, I turned it off for a minute and tried to restart it. It was dead again, gave me the Check Hybrid System light and did the same thing about not starting.

Next morning it started right up so I took it back to the Dealer for them to try again. This time they said it was giving them an error message P1990. They kept it a week, this time they replaced the Oil Pump control, which I don't understand why that would cause the car to not start...but they said that seemed to fix the problem so I left with it.

This past Sunday (the first time I attempted to drive it since bringing it home) I drove about 120 miles and stopped to get a drink. Car would not start again, exact same issue as before with the Check Hybrid System and not "turning over" and would not drive....after letting it sit for 30 minutes, it started up and I AGAIN drove it back to the Dealer.

They say it is again saying it is a Combo error code of the P1990 and P1776. They escalated it all the way up to some National Tech support group and they are going to try a new Power Relay replacement.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? The dealership has been very nice and allowed me a courtesy car to drive, but I honestly am very concerned about not being sure what the issue is, and then driving long distances and not being sure the car will start if I want to use a restroom or eat....

Thanks for letting me vent, hopefully I am not alone in dealing with this.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Oh my god this is horrifying! Sorry to hear what you had to deal with for your car. While a odd number of users here on the forum has had issues with the Hybrid system, most of us have not experienced similar issues. Seeing as to how this is the third time the dealer is attempting to fix the issue, I recommend researching your state's Lemon Laws to attempt to get Hyundai involved instead of the dealers. They should have much greater capability to make things right for you.

Here's Florida's Lemon Law:

https://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/automotive-law/lemon-law.php

Good luck, and hope you a speedy resolution of the issues.

·
Registered
404 Posts
That is a bad situation and lucky that it hasn't completely screwed you... Make sure you have good documentation of all this with the dealer and how many times it has been in for the same thing. It sucks that there is so little training or knowledge at the various dealers. As mentioned, you should certainly have Hyundai corporate involved and a "case number" going at this point.

·
Registered
171 Posts
This is awful, I hate persistent issues like this, especially ones that appear electrical in nature. Given the same parts keep failing, it has to be something upstream as the failure point.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm having the EXACT SAME ISSUE.

2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid, Steve Shomo, VIN KMHE34L16GA015823

Since early September 2017, I’ve experienced an intermittent “Check Hybrid System” warning when trying to start the car on long trips. This problem is becoming more and more common when driving continuously at highway speeds. When starting the car, the computer performs a system check and finds this error. At this point, the computer “will not” start the car. The hybrid system refuses to “boot up.”

NOTE: I have never yet had this issue while driving around town locally or for short periods of time. (1 hour or less)

This always happens after driving the car at interstate speeds for 1 or more continuous hours. When you stop to get gas or go into a rest area, the system refuses to “boot up” for 15 to 45 minutes. When the system has had enough time to COOL DOWN?, the car will start and the “red check engine” light remains on.

The first instance was September 6, 2017 returning from Columbus Ohio. I pulled into a gas station to fuel. After filling up, I could not start the car. I’ve attached a video of the dashboard control screen when this happens. (2018-03-09_HEV start up system failure.mov) After repeated attempts, it finally starts after 10-20 minutes and the car electronics “boots up.” Once the diagnostic system allows the car to start, the red check engine light remains lit.

When I returned to Greensboro, I immediately took the car to Capital Hyundai here in Greensboro. A service DTC scan indicated a saved code of P1990. According to the service reports, the code represents a high voltage warning on the electric input line to the Oil Pump. Once the system cools down, or is not being run continuously on the interstate, a test of the electric line to the oil pump comes back with no problems.

On a trip to Boston in October, I experienced the same problem at a service area where I stopped to get gas. The following day after I’d arrived at my destination, I took the car to the Hyundai Village Dealership in Danvers, MA. The DTC scan showed the same P1990 code. They also performed an “engine off” oil pump test which passed.

In late December, after visiting our children and grandchildren in Boston, the car failed to start at a rest area returning to Greensboro in early January of this year. We went inside to eat and after 45 min, the car booted up, again with the red engine light.

During my regular oil change and service I relayed this to XXXXX there at Sport Durst. The DTC scan again revealed the P1990 code, but there was no time to test the system which I presumed would have passed.

we just returned from a trip to Alabama. (March 9-12, 2018) Every time we stopped both going down and coming back, the car would not start. Once we got to our destination and drove around town once or twice, the red engine warning light would go off. The car ALWAYS starts when cold. After returning home on Monday, the red engine warning light just went off this afternoon. (3/13/18)

Here is my uneducated guess. During long periods of driving, there must be some HEAT related to that high voltage line going to the oil pump. This issue stops the computer system check from starting the Hybrid system. When you stop and the electrical system cools down, the car will start normally. Driving around town or locally does not get the system hot enough to create the code.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm having the exact same problem with my 2016 Sonata Hybrid Limited in North Carolina. Not sure if my new post shows up or not. I'm getting less support from the dealership than you are.

·
Registered
463 Posts
You can run the diagnostics from the 8" display and/or use BlueLink and they can run the onboard diagnostics remotely. Have you tried either of them when the problem occurs? There might be a clue there. My dealership told me that some codes are transitory and if I ever get that light I should drive directly to the dealership without shutting off the engine if able.

(I got it in the first week due to a loose connector).

·
Registered
404 Posts
They need to either fix something like this or buy it back... Sounds like you've had the same code more than 3 times and went to the dealer so there should be documentation. Are they just saying "that's the code and what it means" and "it is good now" and sending you off to repeat? Unacceptable really.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
FYI,, I have replace 3 (if I recall) electric oil pump since Nov 2017...

Last 1 I had recently, I kept old part and took it apart... the shaft of the electric motor has a pump gear on it,, shaft spins in center of gear.. part not welded, part not pinned, appears set on and 2 stakes maybe..

·
Registered
150 Posts
You can run the diagnostics from the 8" display and/or use BlueLink and they can run the onboard diagnostics remotely. Have you tried either of them when the problem occurs? There might be a clue there. My dealership told me that some codes are transitory and if I ever get that light I should drive directly to the dealership without shutting off the engine if able.

(I got it in the first week due to a loose connector).
How do I run the onboard diagnostics on the navigation unit?

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Sounds like a reasonable solution would be to replace the electric oil pump under warranty...
But you still not getting any better of part..

·
Registered
404 Posts
But you still not getting any better of part..
Understood, but compared to what this gentleman has had to contend with, replacing it with current design (that seems a bit rare to have such an issue) would have a high probability of resolving the issue. Ideally, the design should be improved to not have ANY issue EVER.

It is great information to know you've had to replace this part before and provide some direction in that regard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
They need to either fix something like this or buy it back... Sounds like you've had the same code more than 3 times and went to the dealer so there should be documentation. Are they just saying "that's the code and what it means" and "it is good now" and sending you off to repeat? Unacceptable really.
In answer to JKK. Yes, they are running a gasoline engine off test of the electric oil pump and it passes. They have reset the computer three times and have sent me off.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation. If they haven't fixed it in 3 tries then the next try is a buy-back... All they have done is some test it sounds. Maybe when the engine runs and is hot the pump acts up. They need to replace it and see.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dealership replaced the Power Relay which sets on top of the Hybrid battery in the floor of the trunk. According to the report, 37514R1H CODE P1990 found an open circuit in the power relay. I'm leaving for Boston tomorrow. (740 miles) We'll see if this fixes the problem. ( sdshomo Original Post #6 ).

1 - 20 of 145 Posts