Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2016 Santa Fe Sport (2.0L) with approx. 40K miles on it. Recently I have had the ESC, ABS, & DBC warning indicators coming on while driving. They come on solid (no blinking) and are orange in color. The first 2 times this happened they went off shortly after turning on. The 3rd time they stayed on until I shut down and restarted the vehicle. The 4th time, they stayed on even after shutting down and restarting. I have not noticed any problems with driving or braking. I have not tried to engage cruise control but I will. Vehicle is in Florida (no hills) and regularly serviced. I had 4 new tires installed in June but the problem started in September so I don't think its related to the tire replacement.

From reading some forums and Google searches, this seems to be a fairly common occurrence and is usually caused by a bad wheel speed sensor, but can also be caused by an intermittent connection, brake light switch, stop lamp switch, broken/split tone ring, or a bunch of other things. The solution seems to begin with getting the diagnostic codes. I would really like to avoid the dealer, who has been happy to rip me off in the past. So my questions are:

1 - Do I need to deal with this right away? Is it a safety issue?
2 - Can I get the codes read by going to AutoZone or similar or do I need to go to the dealer to get the fault codes? I read that most auto part stores can only read Check Engine codes.
3 - Assuming its a wheel speed sensor, what should I expect to pay to have the sensor replaced?
4 - What does the Tone Ring do, and what is involved in replacing it if it is cracked or broken?
5 - What else can cause all 3 of these warning lights to come on and off at the same time?

Many thanks in advance.
Speedometer Car Vehicle Odometer Gauge

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
1 - Do I need to deal with this right away? Is it a safety issue?
Your braking system will be like a typical non abs.
2 - Can I get the codes read by going to AutoZone or similar or do I need to go to the dealer to get the fault codes? I read that most auto part stores can only read Check Engine codes.
Not AZ but don't need dealer. Call local garage and tell them what you need.
3 - Assuming its a wheel speed sensor, what should I expect to pay to have the sensor replaced?
4 - What does the Tone Ring do, and what is involved in replacing it if it is cracked or broken?
5 - What else can cause all 3 of these warning lights to come on and off at the same time?
Don't jump the gun. Get the codes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I will try asking a local car shop to check the codes. I wish I knew of one that does not rip people off but unfortunately I don't. I do know of a few that DO rip people off. I am in the Orlando Florida area, if anyone cares to recommend a local, trustworthy shop that can read these fault codes.

I just went through it with a burned out headlight on my wife's 2015 Sonata Limited. Easy to replace right? Wrong!! First, its a HID lamp, so it could be the lamp, or the ballast/ignitor. Then you can't even access the lamp to replace it without either A - Taking the front bumper off, or B - Spending several hours trying to access the lamp from behind, which involves a flexible mini-cam, flashlight, duct tape, a magnetized screw driver, a non-magnetized screw driver, 2mg of Xanax, and a lot of luck. I have never seen something as stupid has having to remove the bumper to replace a headlight lamp. Dealer charged me $170 to tell me the headlight does not work (duh!), and that they can only replace the entire headlamp assembly (due to Covid supply line issues), and that I really should replace both of them, for $1843, each. I ended up ordering 2 HID lamps online and having a car stereo place install them. $115 for the HID lamps, $170 for the dealer to tell me what I already knew, and $250 for the car audio shop to replace them. Insanity. Hopefully these warning lights coming on is due to something easy to repair/replace.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should get your own scan tool.
That may be an option. I don't know much about them. If a store like AutoZone does not have one that can read these codes (only can read Check Engine light codes?) then I suspect the ones that can read these codes must be quite expensive, or they would have one. I will look into it as both of my Hyundai vehicles are starting to have issues and I don't see replacing them anytime soon. Can you recommend one or point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
on my santa fe, I had the same problem. The cause was a defective brake light switch. Have someone stand behind your car (or video it on your mobile if nobody handy) and apply the brake. If the brake lights dont work, the brake switch is the problem. There was a recall on some hyundais for this.
the switch is located just above the pedal under the dash.

·
Registered
416 Posts
for a cheap scan tool, install TORQUE pro on your android phone and buy a 10$ ODB2 bluetooth adaptor on amazon or ebay

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
851 Posts
Thank you, I will try asking a local car shop to check the codes. I wish I knew of one that does not rip people off but unfortunately I don't. I do know of a few that DO rip people off. I am in the Orlando Florida area, if anyone cares to recommend a local, trustworthy shop that can read these fault codes.

I just went through it with a burned out headlight on my wife's 2015 Sonata Limited. Easy to replace right? Wrong!! First, its a HID lamp, so it could be the lamp, or the ballast/ignitor. Then you can't even access the lamp to replace it without either A - Taking the front bumper off, or B - Spending several hours trying to access the lamp from behind, which involves a flexible mini-cam, flashlight, duct tape, a magnetized screw driver, a non-magnetized screw driver, 2mg of Xanax, and a lot of luck. I have never seen something as stupid has having to remove the bumper to replace a headlight lamp. Dealer charged me $170 to tell me the headlight does not work (duh!), and that they can only replace the entire headlamp assembly (due to Covid supply line issues), and that I really should replace both of them, for $1843, each. I ended up ordering 2 HID lamps online and having a car stereo place install them. $115 for the HID lamps, $170 for the dealer to tell me what I already knew, and $250 for the car audio shop to replace them. Insanity. Hopefully these warning lights coming on is due to something easy to repair/replace.
I hear you about the headlamps My old Chevy Equinox required that you remove the front bumper to replace the bulb. What a PITA. I bought an ODB2 dongle/thingy from Amazon for like $30 and downloaded Car Scanner for my iPhone to read codes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts