Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

First time posting here. So apologies if i break any rules.

2016 Santa Fe Sport 2t with 11000 kms on it. No issues for last few months except recently. When stopped in drive (e.g. at a stop light) occasionally noticed some "jerking" or "lunging." Somewhat like a rough idle, but noticeable jerking.

The car feels like it wants to move forward when I have my foot on the break. Lasts for a few seconds and passes. Not every time I am stopped- but have noticed it at least once on the last couple of drives.

Any thoughts on what this could be? I have not yet gone to the dealer- that's my next step.

Thanks in advance for the insight.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
The engine should detect any misfires and turn on the SES warning light either solid or flashing. Flashing is more critical because it means that the misfire is occurring now.

Now one thing that I did notice with my 2015.....When the fuel level in the tank is just right at some point between full and the 3/4 mark after I come to a stop the fuel will slosh around and feel like and engine misfire or like you were bumped from behind. Kind of strange because ambient temperature may also be a player as I do not seem to notice it in cold winter weather.

This can be a single or sometimes a double bump and can feel like what you are describing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. No engine lights on and I should add this only happens when I come to a stop after forward motion. ?
maybe the feeling is gas sloshing around.

The gas tank was nearly full.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I would bet that you have it solved. If so it will go away as the furl level drops even by a couple of gallons. As I thought about my earlier comments I would not feel it in the winter as with teh slick roads I am far more likely to gradually hit that complete stop mark. In good weather I may come to a full stop in a more abrupt manner and that would get the shock wave going. This would happen in the first 5-10 seconds after you come to a complete stop.

Some manufacturers do release revised fuel tanks for this condition. I have never checked with the Dealer because to me it is a minor annoyance and not worth having repaired.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I wrote this in another thread back in January (thread was called Idle Hesitation). Same issue.
"
In my 2016 SFS Turbo, I do notice something similar, if not the same. I've got 17,000 km on it now, but first felt it at around 8000 km. It doesn't happen all the time, but when at a stop light in any weather, it feels like the vehicle wants to go and does slight jerking. Sometimes I have to look in my rear-view to ensure that I wasn't lightly bumped by the person behind me.
"

Interesting thought about the gas sloshing, I'll have to make note of gas level the next time I feel this. RPM needle does not budge when the jerk happens.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
many of today's tachometers are not that accurate. They may not detect and respond to a single engine misfire that you might feel. My money though is still on the fuel tank slosh as yes, it feels just like you were lightly bumped from behind as dunbone stated. An engine misfire has a different feel to it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've been monitoring my Santa Fe jerking issue since my last post to this thread back in April 2017. I can say this is definitely not fuel tank sloshing. Spark plugs changed May 2019 and now at 35,000 km.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I bet it is DCT switching gear rapidly. The 1,3 and 5 gears and the 2,4,6 gears on different shafts. You got double shocks when it has to go down gears quickly. It is computerized manual transmission.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The car doesn't shift gears when stopped.
Hey Dunbone, I’m having the same issue with my car it’s also doing the same when I am stopped at a light in drive. I have a 2016 Santa Fe sport and was wondering if you found out what the issue was???

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 2016 Sport does the same thing, it stops if i shift it into neutral, and then does it again when shifted back into drive. Has done it since new

·
Registered
7 Posts
2016 SFS 2.4 AWD - I had something similar happen on occasion, but more than I would like, and it felt like the engine was about to stall out when stopped at traffic lights. Didn't seem to matter whether engine was at running temp or not, or what the ambient air temperature was but seemed to happen more in summer than winter.

I ended up solving the issue by changing my fuel supplier and running a couple of bottles of regane gum out through the fuel tank. For me it started around 40k km and it took me about 12k km to figure it out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
When the car is feeling like it's having the "jerks", I put it in neutral and it stops. Putting it in gear again starts it back up briefly. Next thing to try is taking my foot off the brake during these episodes to see how the car reacts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts