Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Santa Fe SE Ultimate
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, the stock headlights in the vehicle are terrible!

I have searched all over these forums to see if i could find answers prior to starting my own post but I was not able to really find what I am looking for. I currently have a 2016 Santa Fe SE Ultimate with the halogen headlights. We really miss the HID stock lights we had on our 2014 model but that vehicle was totaled in a storm so it no longer exists.

I'm looking to upgrade the headlights to LED or possibly do an HID conversion. The stock housings do have a projector style lens already. I believe I am looking for a H11 bulb for the low beams and a H7 bulb for the high beams. I am not sure I will be changing more than the low beams right now but I am open to suggestions. I have been looking at a couple LED options that I came across in these forums but am not completely sold on them.

or

Maybe an HID conversion would be a better route?

I appreciate any comments and suggestions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As for an HID upgrade, this was recommended to me as being the best option on the market right now. I just can't swallow spending $300 though.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am surprised that your car didn’t come with HID. Mine is a 2017 SE Ultimate and it has HID. Did they change between 16 and 17 MY?

whatever you do, use HID. Do not go with LED. The LED bulb struggles in projectors. I have tried to use different LED bulbs in 3 different cars with projectors and they are terrible combination. Even the LED bulbs that are supposed to be designed as a halogen replacement and clocking the bulb properly. They just do not work.

HID is the way to go. Also, you do not need a 55W setup. 35W is excellent and lower risk to wiring.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am surprised that your car didn’t come with HID. Mine is a 2017 SE Ultimate and it has HID. Did they change between 16 and 17 MY?

whatever you do, use HID. Do not go with LED. The LED bulb struggles in projectors. I have tried to use different LED bulbs in 3 different cars with projectors and they are terrible combination. Even the LED bulbs that are supposed to be designed as a halogen replacement and clocking the bulb properly. They just do not work.

HID is the way to go. Also, you do not need a 55W setup. 35W is excellent and lower risk to wiring.
I know our previous 2014 Limited Ultimate had HID but this 2016 SE Ultimate doesn't. We miss the better visibility. It may have been and upgrade that the previous owner didn't opt for. Thanks for the info on the HIDs. I'll definitely go that way.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Know what you are buying and what, if allowed, the return policies are. If you are having the upgrade kit installed deal with a reputable company that specializes in that type of work.

Why?....We have a very reputable local company that even I, as a Dealer, have turned to for help on occsion. They once specialized in installing HID upgrade kits but stopped installing HID upgrade kits because they found that there were many issues with reliability and the beam patterns of the upgrades. They will still install them IF the owner chooses and buys the kit on their own and agrees to sign off that there is NO WARRANTY through the installer on the performance or durability of the kit.

I know some people have had good luck with upgrades, but this company was specializing in those installations so for them to bow out that way.... I fund out when I called them to ask about such an upgrade on my own vehicle and I greatly appreciated their honesty instead of just taking the money...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At this point, I am moving way from LEDs and thinking I'll go with an HID upgrade from two reliable companies. The options I am considering are:
1. Diode Dynamics- Low Beam HID Conversion Kit for 2009-2016 Hyundai Santa Fe
*Unfortunately this option is on backorder so it would not happen anytime soon.
2. GTR Lighting HID 55w Conversion Kit - GTR Lighting 55w Smart PWM Single Beam Slim HID Conversion Kit - 5th Generation

I'd have to wait for option 1 but if I went that route, I could get high and low beams conversions for the same price as just the GTR Lighting low beams. I did ask about a GTR 35w HID kit option, per a previous suggestion. It does not appear that they have a complete kit for that so I'd have to piece one together.

I am unsure as to when I will pull the trigger on this but once I do, I'll be sure to post some before and after pics, as well as some feedback on the product I end up choosing.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you use the 55W kit, you should also install a relay with separate power feed. The 55W kits can burn out the factory wiring.

if you install a 35W kit you should be fine without the relay and separate feed.

check out Headlight Revolution I have had good luck with them and they do good comparison videos on YouTube as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you use the 55W kit, you should also install a relay with separate power feed. The 55W kits can burn out the factory wiring.

if you install a 35W kit you should be fine without the relay and separate feed.

check out Headlight Revolution I have had good luck with them and they do good comparison videos on YouTube as well.
I have been chatting with them about the GTR lighting options. The videos they have put out on Youtube have been very informative. The link to the GTR stuff is through their site.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Main thing I can recommend is to stay away from LED in projector headlights. I’ve done it 3 times on different cars, using different bulbs and doing all the right clocking etc. They NEVER work well and I have given up on LED for retrofit.

Go with HID, I have had great success with HID on projectors. Just use a quality setup, not something cheap from eBay or amazon.

35W is best because the 55W will not gain you much if anything in output but cause your wiring to fail or you will have to run a relay setup.

Hope it comes out great.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought my 2016 used, so I don't know if the headlights are stock or replacement. They are best headlights I have ever had on a car. I'm curious to hear what some other owners have experienced. Maybe I will try to pull my bulbs and get a model number.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought my 2016 used, so I don't know if the headlights are stock or replacement. They are best headlights I have ever had on a car. I'm curious to hear what some other owners have experienced. Maybe I will try to pull my bulbs and get a model number.
If they aren't stock bulbs, I'd be really interested in knowing what they are. Thanks!

·
Registered
199 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Santa Fe SE Ultimate
2 Posts

I think you could only get the HID's with the Ultimate tech package, my 17 SE Ultimate has the tech pack that adds the lane keep, brake assist, Auto high beams with bending lights and HID's

·
Registered
2017 Santa Fe SE Ultimate
2 Posts
First of all, the stock headlights in the vehicle are terrible!

I have searched all over these forums to see if i could find answers prior to starting my own post but I was not able to really find what I am looking for. I currently have a 2016 Santa Fe SE Ultimate with the halogen headlights. We really miss the HID stock lights we had on our 2014 model but that vehicle was totaled in a storm so it no longer exists.

I'm looking to upgrade the headlights to LED or possibly do an HID conversion. The stock housings do have a projector style lens already. I believe I am looking for a H11 bulb for the low beams and a H7 bulb for the high beams. I am not sure I will be changing more than the low beams right now but I am open to suggestions. I have been looking at a couple LED options that I came across in these forums but am not completely sold on them.

or

Maybe an HID conversion would be a better route?

I appreciate any comments and suggestions.
I was running some Auxbeams on my 2015 Sonata Hybrid with Projectors, they worked fine for me, bright but not too much that it blind others
Auxbeam H11's

1 - 16 of 16 Posts