Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
just checking if anyone else has seen rust bubbles appearing on the leading edge of the roof just above the windscreen?
I am currently in contact with Hyundai as I believe this is a warranty issue.
0 - Damage 1.jpg
0 - Damage 2.jpg

·
Banned
7,038 Posts
You have stone damage. Not covered.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have stone damage. Not covered.
I went to my local body shop and got some interesting information. First, they said it is not stone damage because it appears to be rusting from the inside out and appears to be under the rubber. Second of all and by complete coincidence the had another 2016 i40 in for repair just before Christmas with the exact same damage in the exact same spot. I asked the shop to pass my number onto that owner and I'm waiting to hear back for him.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,860 Posts
That looks like impact damage to me too, but hopefully your dealer agrees with the bodyshop and submits a claim to Hyundai for the repairs.
Good luck with that.

·
Banned
7,038 Posts
A tiny chip that goes through to the metal the size of a pin head will rust. It crawls under the paint and forms those bubbles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi all,
just checking if anyone else has seen rust bubbles appearing on the leading edge of the roof just above the windscreen?
View attachment 444096 View attachment 444097
I would be complaining about it big time. The car was designed for outdoor road use & it should be able to withstand a stone chip or two without rusting. That rust is quite bad and I would say that there has been a problem with either the raw metal or the paint application during assembly. If they knock you back then take it further.

·
Banned
7,038 Posts
I would be complaining about it big time. The car was designed for outdoor road use & it should be able to withstand a stone chip or two without rusting. That rust is quite bad and I would say that there has been a problem with either the raw metal or the paint application during assembly. If they knock you back then take it further.
You obviously don't know auto body. Why do people use bug/stone deflectors?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I had an '87 Camry have a similar issue & little later later in its life (about 9 years). It was not caused by stone damage but found cause was an improperly installed windscreen. rust started behind the mouldings on an edge seam & festered working outward to where it was visible. Eventually rust hole formed under the molulding allowing water to leak into the cabin.

Hyundai likely will argue that it is not perforated through, as that's the actual rust warranty. Saturn would not cover me on my VUE rear lift gate handle for similar rust. Rust bubbles formed around the chrome applique handle in less than 2 years. This was a known issue from poor process, yet no claim would be valid unless it perforated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,
I got a new company car in april 2016, and by December I reported the rust issues (blistering above front windscreen) to Hyundai. I had a guy
came out done an assessment and he claimed it was an impact point and it was possible stone chip issues - in other words they where not fixing t The car is 4 year old now the rust issues is approx. 2cm in diameter, and about 6/8 spots across the front of car. I had the AA out and he pointed out on the rear of the roof there is a fine rust line across the rear of the windscreen and he said it is a Hyuandi issue. Tonight I have reported this again to Hyuandi UK customer services. Has anyone else got this repaired under warranty

·
Registered
4 Posts
A tiny chip that goes through to the metal the size of a pin head will rust. It crawls under the paint and forms those bubbles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,
I have same issues on 2016 i40. Reported it to Hyuandi in dec 2016 at early stages. Warranty not covering it. See picture of rear window a line of rust under paint. That's not stone chips

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Any images from 2016? I'd be interested to see the early stages. Do you think the paint became porous with age and I'm assuming salty roads so it's just eaten away at it? The paint looks weathered and tired

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would have somewhere. It just poor photography. The paint work else where is okay for a car now with 140k on it. It comes like a blistering under the paint. Hyuandi say they dont cover impact points in paint warranty

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts