Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Hyundai Elantra Value edition with the 1.8L engine and it will not crank or recognize on the dash that it is in park. so far I have checked and replaced the starter fuse, fuel pump, ignition switch, and neutral safety switch and tightened the battery cables as well as checking the relays, fuses and wiring harness on top of the engine. The car still has power and will crank from the starter relay but will not turn over completely. I am completely stumped and two other mechanics are stumped so far as well. it did throw three codes when i first hooked up a scanner. C1611 CAN TIMEOUT ECM C1260 STEERING ANGLE SENSOR CIRCUIT AND C1668 INVALID CAN DATA. I cleared the codes and scanned again and got code C1611 again but not the other two. any help would be greatly appreciated. I live in northwest arkansas just so you have that information as well. no indicators prior to the car suddenly not starting that anything was wrong.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
The car still has power and will crank from the starter relay but will not turn over completely.
Have you tried turning it over by-hand, to rule-out it being seized?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have a 2016 Hyundai Elantra Value edition with the 1.8L engine and it will not crank or recognize on the dash that it is in park. so far I have checked and replaced the starter fuse, fuel pump, ignition switch, and neutral safety switch and tightened the battery cables as well as checking the relays, fuses and wiring harness on top of the engine. The car still has power and will crank from the starter relay but will not turn over completely. I am completely stumped and two other mechanics are stumped so far as well. it did throw three codes when i first hooked up a scanner. C1611 CAN TIMEOUT ECM C1260 STEERING ANGLE SENSOR CIRCUIT AND C1668 INVALID CAN DATA. I cleared the codes and scanned again and got code C1611 again but not the other two. any help would be greatly appreciated. I live in northwest arkansas just so you have that information as well. no indicators prior to the car suddenly not starting that anything was wrong.
Do you have electronic power steering? There is a small urethane/rubber star shaped coupler between the electric drive motor and steering column. When this item wear, it can cause several degree of movement and your steering lock will not engage. Because your steering lock, brakes, transmission and key-lock are connected with the security system. The security system think the car is being jacked and stolen, therefore will not allow you to start the car.

This tiny star shaped rubber isolator gets damaged when people ham-fist the steering interlock. This tiny urethane/rubber isolator is less than $10.

I think their are multiple YouTube videos on this topic. I think A1 auto has the part and a video to repair this item.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have electronic power steering? There is a small urethane/rubber star shaped coupler between the electric drive motor and steering column. When this item wear, it can cause several degree of movement and your steering lock will not engage. Because your steering lock, brakes, transmission and key-lock are connected with the security system. The security system think the car is being jacked and stolen, therefore will not allow you to start the car.

This tiny star shaped rubber isolator gets damaged when people ham-fist the steering interlock. This tiny urethane/rubber isolator is less than $10.

I think their are multiple YouTube videos on this topic. I think A1 auto has the part and a video to repair this item.
This is a very interesting reply and it does have electronic power steering. I will let my mechanic know about this. hoping we can get it running. it only has 39,000 miles

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
This is a very interesting reply and it does have electronic power steering. I will let my mechanic know about this. hoping we can get it running. it only has 39,000 miles
Is there warranty left on the vehicle? All I can tell you about C1611 is the EPS control module is looking for data from the engine control module. If nothing is received after 3 secs it sets. Suggested causes in the manual are open or short in CAN harness , engine side. Faulty ECM/PCM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts