Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a reverse camera on amazon a few months ago, for some reason (perhaps I used the wrong size quick splice connector, the red common connectors) when connecting the positive wire on the camera to the positive wire on the reverse light it didn't seem to work. This particular model didn't require a ground connection. Anyways I since returned that product but I am worried about any damage that may have been caused to the one positive reverse wire by removing the quick splice connector.

My question is as follows.

I removed the plastic covering and pulled out the metal "door" on the connector which left a little slit in the wire, I didn't check to see if any wire stands were accidentally cut or damaged but the wire was still intact. I proceeded to wrap the exposed slit in a excess amount of electrical tape (essentially a ball of electrical tape, yes i know that's stupid) as I was a bit paranoid that water would seep in. Should I be concerned about any fire hazards if some sheds of wire conductor was accidentally stripped or if the conductor was damaged in any way? and should I be concerned about the excess use (multiple layers) of electrical tape or am I worrying for no reason? The reverse light has been functioning normally for the last few months since i repaired it so presumably everything should be okay going forward?

Thank you, and my apologies for my lack of electrical knowledge, just want to be certain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
As far as which wire I spliced into, it was the positive wire running directly to the reverse bulb, which I believe was incorrect to begin with. Again... just wondering if I should be concerned about a potential fire hazard after this splice removal and repair since part of the conductor may or may not have been damaged by the off brand scotchlok-like quick connector.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,762 Posts
I worrying for no reason?
Yes.

The wiring for the reverse light is designed to carry much more current than a reverse light bulb will ever draw. So it would be OK to loose a few strands of the wire (assuming you have). There will still be more than enough remaining to carry the bulb current.

And a ball of insulating tape wrapped around the wire will look untidy, but it won't do any harm.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes.

The wiring for the reverse light is designed to carry much more current than a reverse light bulb will ever draw. So it would be OK to loose a few strands of the wire (assuming you have). There will still be more than enough remaining to carry the bulb current.

And a ball of insulating tape wrapped around the wire will look untidy, but it won't do any harm.

[/QUOTE
Yes.

I appreciate the reassurance, best to leave wiring to the professionals from now on. Thank you very much!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts