Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started last week, wife would go out in the morning to start the car and it would display a warning light, check engine light and sometimes a random system failure. After pushing the start button several times, it starts and drives normally. Check engine and malfunction indicator light goes out after 3 restarts. I checked and it throwing a P1990 code.

60k miles. Not sure if warranty will cover this.
Any ideas before I take it to dealer?
thanks

·
Registered
286 Posts
The P1990 code is mentioned in a couple of the posts in the following thread. Seems the Power Relay Assy (PRA) and Electric Oil Pump are common failure items and gives the errors / conditions you are presently experiencing.

2016 Sonata Hybrid Limited - Check Hybrid System issue

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The P1990 code is mentioned in a couple of the posts in the following thread. Seems the Power Relay Assy (PRA) and Electric Oil Pump are common failure items and gives the errors / conditions you are presently experiencing.

2016 Sonata Hybrid Limited - Check Hybrid System issue
Yes, I read through those posts too. This one seems to throw the code after it sits during the night. Wife drives home from work, about 20 min drive, and the car sits for the night. The next morning it gives a hybid malfunction error and check engine light comes on.
I wonder how hard it is to change those out at home and how safe considering the hybrid battery.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I read through those posts too. This one seems to throw the code after it sits during the night. Wife drives home from work, about 20 min drive, and the car sits for the night. The next morning it gives a hybid malfunction error and check engine light comes on.
I wonder how hard it is to change those out at home and how safe considering the hybrid battery.

Thanks
Turns out they found more codes at the dealer. They have ordered a hybrid control module.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Thanks for the update. What more codes were found? You're at the 5/60 mark it seems, is this under warranty?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the update. What more codes were found? You're at the 5/60 mark it seems, is this under warranty?
I havent been told the codes yet. Still waiting on part to arrive. So far they are covering under they hybrid warranty. All they have told me is that the Hybrid control unit is not communicating with the other modules.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Did they give you a loaner/rental car while you wait for the parts to come in and then be installed and hopefully all work out and resolve?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did they give you a loaner/rental car while you wait for the parts to come in and then be installed and hopefully all work out and resolve?
They attempted to get a loaner. I was going out of town on Sat so no reason to get one to sit in the garage. When we got back into town on Mon the rental co didnt have anything available until Tues. We got the car back Tues afternoon. So no rental.
Codes were U0105-U0110.
Warranty covered replacement of the Hybrid Control Module. Cost was over $3k. I guess most of it was for labor and troubleshooting. The module should have been less than $1k from what I saw on parts sites.

·
Registered
404 Posts
You're the original owner right? Is this Hybrid part of the warranty under the 5/60 or 10/100? Because you said you were at the 60K mark. I got lots of questions because I can see this issue and other things I've read popping up of short or longer term as problems that are not cheap obviously.

·
Registered
463 Posts
It depends. Some of the hybrid pieces-parts are also covered under the emissions warranty for subsequent owners. Others show the hybrid system, except battery for non-original owners, are covered for the 10/100. Excerpts from the 2020 warranty guide:

8-YEAR/80,000-MILE

FEDERAL EMISSION DEFECT AND PERFORMANCE WARRANTY
Covers repair or replacement of the following original Hyundai major emissions control components that may cause the vehicle to fail to conform to an applicable EPA-approved inspection/maintenance program:
• Catalytic Converter

• Engine Control Module

• Onboard Emissions Diagnostic Device (OBD-II)

Other EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) emissions warranty parts are covered under the 5-Year/60,000-Mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

For 2020 Elantra and 2020 Sonata certified as a super ultra low emission vehicle (SULEV), 2020 Sonata Plug-in Hybrid, and 2020 Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid model certified as a transitional zero-emission vehicles, (TZEV) only, all parts covered under the PERFORMANCE WARRANTY and the DEFECT WARRANTY, which are listed in this Owner's Handbook on the Emission Warranty Parts List, are warranted for 15 years or 150,000 (excluding the Plug-in Hybrid Battery) whichever occurs first (for the states listed under the Warranty Jurisdiction (on page 39), See page 40, NOTE4.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You're the original owner right? Is this Hybrid part of the warranty under the 5/60 or 10/100? Because you said you were at the 60K mark. I got lots of questions because I can see this issue and other things I've read popping up of short or longer term as problems that are not cheap obviously.
Yes original owner. SM said it was the hybrid warranty that covered it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I just hope my stuff goes out before 10/100 then because it seems like a matter of time before certain known hardware and parts go out... I have a CPO so other than the battery, like the original owner with full warranty...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Started last week, wife would go out in the morning to start the car and it would display a warning light, check engine light and sometimes a random system failure. After pushing the start button several times, it starts and drives normally. Check engine and malfunction indicator light goes out after 3 restarts. I checked and it throwing a P1990 code.

60k miles. Not sure if warranty will cover this.
Any ideas before I take it to dealer?
thanks
This exact same thing happened to me, same code P1990. I'm driving a 2017 Sonata Hybrid Limited with 24,000 miles. I went to start up the car and got one of those triangle warnings that there was a issue with the HEV and do not start the car. I let the car sit for 5 min and it restarted but with the engine light still on.
Took it into the dealer and they replaced the Power relay Assembly. Everything covered. Free rental also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts