Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have the new (May 2020) map. It does not have a ramp that is a year and a half old. Google maps and Waze has this ramp. Oh well. I also tried to find a large restaurant that is some 2 years old that is a few towns over. Nope.
Yeah, after I used the update a bit I also was disappointed by missing not-too-recent POIs but at least it wasn't $145. Obviously with Google Maps (and Waze) being online they can be updated faster and on more of a continuous basis but you have to wonder just how far back their Navteq POI data is.

When I had the trial of the Google interface for the car I really liked it. I could look something up on my phone and with a touch send it to the car and it would be there the next time I used the car. But it was and is too expensive for the very limited use I made of it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
The more I use the new update the more I like it. I always disliked that the column on the right showed every exit you were passing by. Now there are three tabs: Simple, Rest Areas, and Details.

Simple just shows the next turn, which I prefer. Rest Areas is really nice because it just shows rest areas along your route. Details shows everything my previous version did. If there are no rest areas then that tab is dimmed out and unselectable.

The new GPS speed display is also circled.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
In checking POI, a restaurant that has been open for more then a year is not listed in the May 2020 release of the map. I did provide them the missing ramp in NJ. They have a web page for that, asking for all sorts of detailed info. One thing I have noticed on the update. It is WAY SLOW in POI listings and re-routes on my 2016. Can't believe the chips they use are that much faster in newer models, if they have faster chips at all.
Also the voice activation, for directions, I could not get to go. Had to punch in the directions. This is the first time I have been using it for the month it's been updated.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I've never used the voice function so I'll give it a try, once I figure out how to do it. :)

The POI listing speed is slower but not intolerably to me. It felt to me that it was being caused by the "partial name lookup" feature where it tries to list everything that matches what you've already typed. This is in the "Places" function. So the less you type the more matches it has to find and display kind of thing.

I haven't tried the Reroute function because I usually don't need it. Around here, unless there's a massive accident or a road closure, it's usually about the same time and less stress to just follow the original route.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just a friendly reminder for those opting for a Mapnsoft update (as I did recently for the new, much lower price tag). Make sure you write down all of your radio (AM & FM) and SiriusXM presets because the new may software will erase them all. Not sure why they need to do that with the software update because all of my stored locations are still there just not those radio/XM presets. This little "feature" is not mentioned in the new software documentation. I remembered this from the last time I updated my 2014 HSH Limited about 3 years ago and wrote them down before the 45 minute ordeal of loading the new maps. Also, I had to call Mapnsoft to get my loading key for the software since it was not included in the package. Yes, a hassle for sure. It all worked OK in the end and now I have new (albeit still about ~ 2 year old) maps. 😀

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Interesting. I upgraded from the free v10.5 version that added Android Auto and Apple Car Play to v14.0 and didn't lose a thing. I entered my VIN on the order page and all I had to do was replace the SD Card and select the Update function.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Interesting. I upgraded from the free v10.5 version that added Android Auto and Apple Car Play to v14.0 and didn't lose a thing. I entered my VIN on the order page and all I had to do was replace the SD Card and select the Update function.
I think you own a 2016? Hyundai changed how they did map updates for that year onward (I think). On my 2014, updates are done via usb stick - there is no sd card slot.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts