Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm still on the v10.5 that introduced Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. With the updates being $145 and no free refreshes of the maps I was in no hurry to update. But this winter we were in a different state and I sure could have used a newer points of interest database. So I figured I might bite the the bullet and buy an update this Fall.

The ordering web site, Mapcare | Home page www.mapnsoft.com has now been redesigned and mandates an account just to check to see if an update is available. So I created an account and checked. At the top of the page it says the v14 updates will be available in mid-May.

But when I put in my car's info, including VIN, it showed that v14 was released at the end of April AND it was priced at only $25. It's no longer downloadable and requires that an SD Card be mailed out. The USPS shipping cost an extra $10. Downloads are only available for "newer" models but "newer" is not defined.

Payment is only by PayPal so I figured what the heck? I ordered it, paid by PayPal, and was charged $35.

I don't know if the price has radically dropped or if their new website pricing is screwed up. I think they used to charge an extra $25 if you wanted an SD Card rather than a download plus the $145 for the map update.

Items
Qty
Price
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Map Update 141S4_D
SKU: HYUNDAI_SONATA-HYBRID_2016_US_14.0
1​
$25.00​

·
Registered
7 Posts
i think it is a site technical issue but you got nothing to lose
you could go to the site and get on the customer service online chat and find out for sure

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the new SD Card today and noticed a few oddities so I opened a ticket with them:

The v14 update installed fine on my 2016 Sonata Hybrid. I noticed a few issues, though:

1. When selecting POIs "Near Current Location" the POIs are sorted alphabetically and not in ascending order by distance. That makes it "less than useful" especially for gas stations. :) If there is a way to change the sort order, please let me know because I could not find it.

I would think that POIs should be sorted in ascending order by distance by default when using "Near Current Location".

2. If you enable "Show Traffic Colors on Route" via Setup -> Navigation -> Route Guide Line, you cannot select a route guide line color. You need to disable that feature, then select the color you want, and then re-enable it. (I wish purple was still an option to match our Garmins but whatever.)

3. After the update finished, the map was stuck on the dark night display even though I was outside in sunlight. Rebooting the car did not help. Pulling into the dark garage and back out did not help. I switched the display from Automatic to Daylight via Setup -> Display -> Mode and the display went to its daylight mode. I then re-selected Automatic and it now seems to working correctly.

As an aside, I would find Previous Destinations sorted by distance to be valuable. There are some places we go only a few times a year but are close by yet I have to scroll through the big list to find them. A way to add a name to a Previous Destination so it goes in the Address Book would also be handy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That is awesome that they sent you a sd card for 35 bucks. Full disclosure, i have a the same car as you and when i was checking the site in march and april looking for an update, I had the same thing offered to me which i didn't jump on because it seemed too good to be true.

Everything seemed off about it, price unbelievably low, the homepage banner said new version to be released soon and somehow it was in my cart?
And after not going through with the checkout that one time, i could never recreate that situation where i could order the update. It always said no updates available and they keep pushing back the release date. It went from mid march to mid april and now to mid may

that's why i posted it was a site technical issue but you have it in your hands so that's awesome news

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting. Today the ordering page shows "No updates are currently available" but maybe it's because it knows the version I ordered.

When was this version released?TBD

It used to have a date near the end of April. Maybe I accidentally got a beta copy. That makes me feel good, not...

MAP VERSION AFTER UPDATENAM.13.41.41.XXX

My installed version is NAM.13.41.42.660.002.3

·
Registered
7 Posts
I dont know what to make of what's going on. About a month ago, i was in contact with them via their online support chat and the guy told me the reason for all the delays was because of some issues with the updates not being ready.

if you go to the site and try to look for an update for a sonata hybrid 2018 and newer, it is there and it says the same thing that you and i experienced a while back...$25 for media (SD/USB) + Shipping.

2017 and older comes up empty
not sure if the 2018+ nav units are different than 2016/7?
perhaps the update you got tested ok for 2018+ but they pulled it off older models because of some bugs?

the map site currently says mid may for updates, so i am curious to see what is offered
it is basically mid may right now

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
We'll likely find out in a few days unless it's delayed again. I'll post back if anything happens with the support ticket I opened.

EDIT: I thought the 2018 and later models came with three years of free updates included. That's probably why they now need to charge $35 to get those "free" updates. :sneaky:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jump on it, it's back with a May 13th release date: 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Map Update 141S4_D and still showing as $35.

If you do get it, please post back as to the installed version number because I've had no reply to my ticket yet. The changes doc shows a different version number than the ordering page: Version 14 Map Update (NAM.13.41.42.xxx) and mine is NAM.13.41.42.660.002.3

MODEL / MODEL YEAR2016 Sonata Hybrid
PART NUMBER141S4_D
MAP VERSION AFTER UPDATENAM.13.41.41.XXX
$25 for media (SD/USB) + Shipping

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I turned the speed display on but I haven't located it yet on the screen yet. It would be nice it if flipped red if you exceeded the speed limit by a certain amount like Waze does. Of course, I am getting three weeks per gallon right now...

The fact that points of interest are listed alphabetically by name instead of by closest distance is a real WTH?. The PDF doesn't show them that way but my car does.

I really saw nothing that was an improvement for me from the v10.5 version. What did you find interesting?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2017 PHEV Limited. It came with NAM.10.47.43.xxxx - so I'm pretty far back (that would be called map v11.5, I guess?). The PDF provides a rollup of previous versions - the map graphics looked improved. That said, hard to tell from the PDF...

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I turned the speed display on but I haven't located it yet on the screen yet. It would be nice it if flipped red if you exceeded the speed limit by a certain amount like Waze does.
Found it. The speed display is directly above the Speed Limit sign in the upper left corner. It does not change color, though.

The fact that points of interest are listed alphabetically by name instead of by closest distance is a real WTH?. The PDF doesn't show them that way but my car does.
Finally figured this one out. Tap on the word "Name" at the top and it will change the sort order to "Distance".

Whew, because Map-n-Soft never responded to the ticket I ordered.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I maybe thick, but I also updated as it is a value price. I just can't find cancel route anymore? Anyone know why?
It's noted in the PDF. You hold down the Pause button to Cancel. I guess a cancel is kind of an extended pause in some programmer's mind...

·
Registered
315 Posts
I came across this thread today and since our 2016 HSH has version 08.47.44.xxx in it from an update 2 years ago I decided to check it out. The online pricing was still showing $25 for a mailed SD card. With standard ground shipping, the total was just a tad over $30 so I placed the order. Much better price than when I updated our 2012 Elantra Mapsoft s/w a couple years ago which ran about $160. The 2012 s/w was original and the update provided quite a few enhancements including song Artist / Name on the display when streaming via Bluetooth - something my daughter who drives the car was very much happy with...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thank you all for this thread. Y'all saved me over $100!

Note for Plug-in owners: I got the latest version for $30, as well, for 2016 PHEV Sonata.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you all for this thread. Y'all saved me over $100!

Note for Plug-in owners: I got the latest version for $30, as well, for 2016 PHEV Sonata.
They charged me $35, $25 + $10 shipping.

If you were in Ohio, that savings would offset some of the $200 a year license plate surcharge put on plug-in cars now.

$100 surcharge for a plain old hybrid.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I have the new (May 2020) map. It does not have a ramp that is a year and a half old. Google maps and Waze has this ramp. Oh well. I also tried to find a large restaurant that is some 2 years old that is a few towns over. Nope.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts