Hyundai Forums banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Thanks massguy for those great pics. I don't see any outside temp?
I'm not absolutely sure, but I'm fairly sure that is an option you can change in the settings. You can either show only the time at the top of the Nav screen (as shown), or show the time and the temp.

Massguy, were you able to see any of the hybrid displays by the speedometer, and have they improved them? I will say the hybrid display on the nav screen looks much nicer.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
It's Spring and no word of the 2016 HSH availability. The Hyundai site shows Spring but other sites and my dealer say Summer.:frown:

·
Registered
2,516 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
It appears the first reviews on the 2016 HSH are starting to come out. From the few I've read so far, it sounds like most prefer the Plug-in Hyundai Sonata Hybrid (PHSH), most of it due to the larger electric motor in the PHSH (50kW vs. 38kW). One complaint about the PHSH, there is no way to lock the ICE out -- if you accelerate hard or go up a hill, the ICE will start up to provide additional power, with no clear way of telling when it might turn on.

On the flip side, an interesting feature is that the PHSH can fully recharge the full battery while you run the car -- essentially it makes the car run ICE only to recharge the battery. The idea behind this is, for example, if you are on a highway and headed into a city, you can put the PHSH in charge mode and charge the battery while you are driving on the freeway so you have a full battery when you start your city driving. Charging mode adds about 1 mile of range to the battery every minute but costs about 5 mpg in fuel efficiency.

Overall, reviewers seem to like both cars (HSH and PHSH), that they retain most of the positives of ride and refinement of the LF Sonata. They do note the electric motor is smaller than in most other hybrids, though the car is decently powered for a hybrid. They also note that this is the hybrid to have for highway driving, that it is a great highway car. Additionally, a number of improvements have been made, such as improved software for how the ICE is clutched in and out for a smoother ride, an electric water pump, upgraded electronics and increased battery capacity, and improved regenerative braking.

It also sounds like the gauges are improved and much more useful. One gauge will "judge" your driving, breaking down the amount your drive economically, normally, or aggressive. The HSH will also have the Sport, Eco, and Normal driving modes like the regular Sonata's have, which changes the shift points on the transmission and how responsive the accelerator is. An interesting new feature, if you get Navigation, there is a mode that will tell you when to start coasting before a turn to get the most charge from regenerative braking -- though there are complaints that it does not take topography into account.

One last interesting note -- while the PHSH will only be stocked in the 10 ZEV states, it will be available in all 50 states. The caveat here is that, for those of us not in a ZEV state, you can order the PHSH from your dealer. I've seen nothing about pricing, though Hyudai is claiming the PHSH will be eligible for a $4,919 US federal tax credit. It appears from these reviews that the HSH will be available in July.

Some of the reviews I've found: Green Car Reports; Autoblog; Digital Trends; Kelly Blue Book; The Car Connection;AutoGuide; and TFLCar.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for the great summary and links. I have been waiting awhile for this, and like what I see. I like the PHEV a little more than I thought I would, but will need to see if I could live with that small trunk with no fold-down seats. I am thinking the price might be similar to the HSH, after the tax credits.

On paper, the HSH or PHEV is the leading candidate for me, when I buy next Spring. Its going to be a long year.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Thanks for the great summary and links. I have been waiting awhile for this, and like what I see. I like the PHEV a little more than I thought I would, but will need to see if I could live with that small trunk with no fold-down seats. I am thinking the price might be similar to the HSH, after the tax credits.

On paper, the HSH or PHEV is the leading candidate for me, when I buy next Spring. Its going to be a long year.
They have a fold-down seat for 2016.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
They have a fold-down seat for 2016.

I believe he was referring to the PHSH, which will not have the fold down rear seats, but only a pass-through. I also recall the PHSH will have a trunk about 25% smaller (about 9 cu. ft.) than our trunks, in the YF HSH.

The trunk on the LF HSH seems like a huge improvement, both being slightly larger than the current trunk and expandable by folding down the rear seats. Though I will miss the area under the trunk for a spare tire.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Autoguide is reporting that the 2016 HSH will stay the same price as the 2015, $26,825 (including transportation).

The Limited upgrade will reportedly start at $30,925 and include Blind Spot Detection with Rear Cross-traffic Alert, 17-inch wheels, HID Xenon headlights, leather interior, ventilated front seats, heated front and rear seats, rear-window manual sunshades, premium door sill plates, auto up/down front passenger windows, and floor-console mounted rear vents.

The Ultimate Package will add $4,500 and add Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision Warning, automatic high beam assist, rear parking sensors, panoramic sunroof, high-gloss window surround, Smart Cruise Control, Electronic Parking Brake, LED interior lights, Infinity premium audio system, eight-inch Navigation system, and HD Radio.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Wayne finally spills the beans

Wayne has been real busy for the last few weeks driving around 48 states going for a world record in a VW Golf TDI getting over 81mpg. I copied his statements off facebook about his first 30 mile drive. The 2016 has raised the bar for the Large D catagory group with 68.8mpg.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Last thing I saw was August:frown:
The date just seems to get pushed further and further back. It seems like originally it was going to be in the first quarter of the year, then in the spring, then I saw July, now August.

I'm hoping this doesn't indicate that Hyundai has had some type of issue with the new HSH, though the push back from July (and even from Spring, which would be June) could easily be Hyundai pushing back the dates because of the high numbers of 2015 Hybrids still on dealer's lots.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
This will be the first year that next years (2016) HSH will be available. They useually came out Feb - May.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
This will be the first year that next years (2016) HSH will be available. They useually came out Feb - May.
The one exception to that is the 2015, which came out in September. Of course, that is also the reason the 2016 was going to come out early; since the 2015 was a model behind the non-hybrid (YF rather than LF) and was merely a rebadged 2014.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
These are Wayne's latest feelings about the 2016 HSH after his very short test drive.

"I consider the 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid the best Hev on the market right now other than exterior styling. The AccordHev is right there but its ergonomics, rear trunk volume and high RPM low FE at higher speeds push it behind the all-new 2nd gen HSH."

He will have it for a longer time this month to really see what it will do.

·
Registered
618 Posts
We received our first two 2016 Sonata Hybrids yesterday. May want to call your dealer if you'd like to take a look. The battery being moved into the spare tire area is a wonderful idea - as long as you don't mind not having a spare. Base models come with a rear view camera, 5 inch touch screen, and push button start. Unfortunately they've continued the trend of Sonata Hybrids not coming with power seat standard...ugh.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Comparison pic from the Hyundai site -

Makes me want to have all of my windows tinted 20%!

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Here is Wayne Gerdes in depth review of the 2016 HSH getting 55.8mpg for over 200 miles. He will follow up with Steady State runs later. Notice that he tops off every car he drives and has never had an evap problem to get the exact fuel consumption. This car is very capable of getting 800-900 miles on a tank. I hope to have a new one in my garage after they start discounting them next year. Make friends and follow him on Facebook for all of his drives.

https://www.facebook.com/wayne.gerdes

61 - 80 of 104 Posts