Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 Sonata never switches to night mode automatically for the radio or dash lights (it is set to auto). This is only really noticeable when using the map on the radio.

I didn't realize this was a problem until I got the 2018 Sonata and see that it seamlessly changes when it gets darker outside.

Does anyone know where this sensor is, so I can make sure it's clean? I could bring it in for warranty, but if it's just dirty, I can clean it. Strange, the headlights automatically turn on, so I don't know if they are different sensors or not.

·
Registered
333 Posts
My 2016 Sonata never switches to night mode automatically for the radio or dash lights (it is set to auto). This is only really noticeable when using the map on the radio.

I didn't realize this was a problem until I got the 2018 Sonata and see that it seamlessly changes when it gets darker outside.

Does anyone know where this sensor is, so I can make sure it's clean? I could bring it in for warranty, but if it's just dirty, I can clean it. Strange, the headlights automatically turn on, so I don't know if they are different sensors or not.
Sensor is on the top of the dash near the Windshield.. But if it were dirty, you'd be in night mode all the time. (I put my Sun Shield up, and the Dash Dimms as well as the display. (Do you notice that your Dash dimms @ night?) Probably not a sensor.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I seem to remember a display setting that can be set to day/night/auto. I could be wrong and it was on a different car, but take a look.

·
Registered
59 Posts
OP mentioned that it is already set to auto, so I don't know if this will help.

On mine, I have my dash brightness set to 20, which is 1 notch below max. I haven't noticed whether the dash brightness changes between day and night. I see no auto setting for that. I think it would be unlikely that the auto setting on the headunit would have any effect on the brightness of the dash.

On the headunit, there is a Display settings section which has Mode (the auto switch is there), Illumination (to manually adjust what is the day setting and what is the night setting), and Default to reset just the display settings. If Illumination has been tinkered with, then it is possible that day and night have no apparent difference even while set on auto. It wouldn't hurt to choose Default to reset the display, make sure auto is turned on, then test again. My nav map changes from white background to black background automatically, but I don't know if that is based on a sensor or based on the GPS clock.

·
Registered
404 Posts
If the gauge cluster isn't dimming when the headlights come on, make sure you don't have the dash set on max once the headlights do come on as it will not dim at all when set to max. I leave mine set on max so mine never differentiates when the headlights come on.

With the headlights manually turned on, adjust the dash brightness to your liking as long as it isn't max. Turn the headlights off and it will resume full brightness. Return headlight switch to 'auto' on the stalk. Once headlights come on again, it'll go back to your setting and be dimmer than the day intensity.

·
Registered
333 Posts
If the gauge cluster isn't dimming when the headlights come on, make sure you don't have the dash set on max once the headlights do come on as it will not dim at all when set to max. I leave mine set on max so mine never differentiates when the headlights come on.

With the headlights manually turned on, adjust the dash brightness to your liking as long as it isn't max. Turn the headlights off and it will resume full brightness. Return headlight switch to 'auto' on the stalk. Once headlights come on again, it'll go back to your setting and be dimmer than the day intensity.
Which brings to mind, do the Headlights auto illuminated when it gets dark?
If so, it is not a sensor issue. (I notice when at a traffic light under an overpass, after a few secs, my Lights turn on.) There is a master reset for the head unit, the kind where you need a paper clip to activate. Maybe that will fix your issues..

Good luck

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Which brings to mind, do the Headlights auto illuminated when it gets dark?
If so, it is not a sensor issue. (I notice when at a traffic light under an overpass, after a few secs, my Lights turn on.) There is a master reset for the head unit, the kind where you need a paper clip to activate. Maybe that will fix your issues..

Good luck
I don't know if the OP has one of the navigation units, but they cannot be factory reset. The paperclip button is literally just a reboot button. I went through that with my dealer after getting my car, and SBR confirmed via PM that there is no user accessible option to erase the settings.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No navigation. Just the radio with Apple Carplay. Headlights turn on automatically. When they do, the dash does dim. Radio never goes into night mode.

·
Registered
404 Posts
No navigation. Just the radio with Apple Carplay. Headlights turn on automatically. When they do, the dash does dim. Radio never goes into night mode.
Ugh, carplay. I can't help there. Ok so it's just the nav screen that is not playing along.
Could it be a setting with in the carplay app settings? It would almost have to be something like that as AA does have a setting for dimming with in the app settings. It offers car settings, phone settings, day mode, and night mode. And while using AA those settings dictate how the nave screen dims and when.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I've had this happen to me with Android Auto, though only a couple times very recently. Same thing where Google Maps wasn't changing to night mode. Went back to Hyundai UI and it also wasn't on night mode. It pretty much fixed itself, but it was a little upsetting when it happened.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I wanted to bump this thread because mine did this the other day. Mine's a 2015 and it's never happened before, it's always worked fine.

Since I just had it in the shop a week or two ago I went into the setup screen to make sure it was still set to AUTO. It was. So I manually set it to night and the screen indeed changed. I then put it back to AUTO and it stayed dark. And it's worked just fine ever since.

So give that a try. Take it off auto and then put it back again. It just might work.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Ugh, carplay. I can't help there. Ok so it's just the nav screen that is not playing along.
Could it be a setting with in the carplay app settings? It would almost have to be something like that as AA does have a setting for dimming with in the app settings. It offers car settings, phone settings, day mode, and night mode. And while using AA those settings dictate how the nave screen dims and when.
I just made a post about mine stopping working. it will likely be the post above this one. Mine happened when I was using AA. I always use AA. And I fixed it in the Hyundai screen, not the AA screen.

Just wanted to make that clarification.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts