Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

If i'm shopping between the 2016/2017 Tuscons, are there things to keep in mind/avoid?

eg. any issues with the 2L engines vs 1.6T?
AWD handles well in snow?
Any trims to avoid or go for?

etc.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Might be helpful to know what options you want and things you don't want.

Still happy with my Sport, 1.6T/DCT and all. Never had it in snow.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not too worried about the options yet.

just looking for general feedback about the engine types and the drivetrain options.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The 2.0 is only in the lower trims and is a little sluggish if you need to accelerate quickly but it's a solid engine thus far, no big issues to be concerned with. It is still being used along with the 6-speed transmission (which actually is a pretty nice shifter, quiet and pretty smooth). The 1.6 turbo also seems to be just fine, definitely a bit zippier...it was dropped for the 2019 year but that was due to the transmission switch since it was mated with the DCT that most everyone hated. If you don't mind the quirks (and possibly may need to have software updated (for free) from the dealer) then the turbo/DCT isn't bad at all, just a different animal. I think it was only the base level SE that had the totally-manual seats, so look up to the SE-Plus or other trims if you want at least the driver's seat to be power adjusted with lumbar support. Almost mind boggling that they would even do manual driver's seat in this day and age. There have been some minor TSBs that if not addressed yet in your used vehicle, probably should still be done for free at the dealer (research that if the warranty is not transferable to you or if it's past mileage). Little things like the A/C thermistor, some software updates, and I think only in the 2016 and first 2017 cars there was some underhood computer/sending unit issue but I can't recall what it was now...easy to check if you have the one that needed to be replaced. Tucsons seem to be avoiding most of the quagmire engine troubles from other models in previous years. Probably would avoid the panoramic sunroof myself since they seemed to have some shattering issues for more than a few people.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My 2017 SE 2.0L with "Popular Package" is about to hit 30,000 miles. I got it in Nov 2017.

The only thing I really don't like is the stupid (and I mean that literally :) ) base Bluetooth radio. Controls for phones is just horrible. Things my 2010 JVC aftermarket could do, this unit can't. Like changing albums or artists. Or seeing my contact list. Or changing anything exceept volume from the steering wheel.

Below 30f, the 2.0 takes about 20 minutes to start putting out hot air. Dealer says nothing is wrong weirdo, it takes the same amount of time if it's +30f or -10f. Or anywhere in between. Maybe it's 20f, I can't remember right now. But it's not 40f or 50f.

Mine is only front-wheel drive, with 17" tires. Some Kumho model. I'm in Central Ohio. I really like the tires. But anything more than 3" of snow and I stay off the freeways.

I got about a year driving this for my last job that had me only driving about 300 miles every 20 days. Almost all city and below 45mph. I averaged 31mpg over that time based on my miles driven and actual gallons from the receipts.

Since then I've been working 39 miles away, mostly freeway and mostly 70-80mph. At 70, I average 30.5. At 80, I average 29.5 to 30.5. I have three spots every day where I switch to Sport mode and stomp on the gas for about 30 seconds each. I can't tell the difference between Normal and Eco modes. Not in pedal and not in MPG.

I came from a 1994 Impala SS putting 330 to the rear wheels and a 1995 Maxima SE that still kicked butt. I've had other fast cars over the past 34 years. I bought this car knowing it's not a performance vehicle. I am pleased with its accel and passing. Sure, it's not like any of my previous cars, but it not as bad as what most people say.

I'm 6'1" and have a 34" inseam. Even with my bad back, I find the driver's seat comfy. My wife and daughter find the seats comfy too. My son says the seats are better than his Rogue.

Non-deal breakers for me but I would have spent the extra money for. Auto-lift gate (my daughter got a service dog and he rides in the back now that he's 85lbs of 1 year old puppy. We anchor his safety harness to the child seat anchors). Heated/cooled seats. Not a major thing, but they would be nice. Auto-climate control. It seems like I'm adjusting a lot when it's extremely hot or cold outside.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts