Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Tucson 2015 2.4 and the engine sounds like crap from 2000 rpm and up.

Millage is 60K.

For what I can tell this is normal and people just say its the GDI pump and it;s just a nosier engine.

Dealer say the same thing and if I keep the engine under 2000 rpm it sounds OK.

Have tried -
Bottle of techron
05 20w Mobile One HM - quietest one
05 30w QSUD Oil

It sounds identical to this video (the guy in the video is an idiot but the engine sound is there)

What are my options -- could the carbon cleaning at the dealer help?

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Drive it. Don't waste money trying to make it sound different. It is what it is.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Mine is a LOT noiser than that- now with 55k miles. Uses no oil. Has been that way for at least 20k miles. Dealer checked while under warranty. Surprise - says normal. Noisiest engine I've ever owned - by a lot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RBull. The Tucson and the 2.4 engine for it are made in Korea. So don't think we have the same problems as the recall for the Sonata(made in the US). BUT it is the same engine design.

I am just not used to the sound... my other vehicles don't sound like that. I know all cars are different. I have no problem just living with it for the life of vehicle and just turning up the radio.

But if there is way to reduce it or fix it I will do it.

I did notice a difference between the running Mobile one HM 5 20w and Quaker State QSUD 05 30w. I thought the 05 30w would be thicker and reduce the noise... it made it worse. (I think) Both on the OEM oil filter.

Going to drive it into the ground and I love pretty much everything else about the car. Just the lawnmower engine sound can go.

I am going to have another dealer look at it and go for ride tomorrow. Will report back.

I was also thinking about to doing the CRC carbon treatment you can get at Autozone (
) or have the dealer do it. They quoted ~300 for it which is pricey.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Vision83, yes different engines but mine supposedly has the good one and its noisier. Mine seems ready to blow up soon. The ticking can be heard at idle a long way from the car.

Good luck with the cleaner. It might be good for the valves but I'm doubtful it will do anything for your noise. If it does be sure to come back and tell us.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rbull, Will do. Second dealer said the noise was normal. I said lets go for ride in a new 2.4 GDI and see if it makes the same noise. People wouldn't buy these if they made this noise from the start. It really just doesn't sound right. Some days its quiet others is noisy...

I am doubtful on the cleaner as well... for its worth the Mobile 1 HM 05/20w seemed to help.

Has anyone had any luck with this noise?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well 65k on it and it still sounds like a lawn mower... but it’s still working. Its really noisy for about 10 seconds on a cold start or let’s say it has been sitting for about 6 hours after a long drive of 150 miles or so.

Mobile 1 HM 5-20w helped some... going to try another type next oil change. OEM filter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts