Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Driving a 2015 sonata for the past few years and recently have been hearing a weird sound, don't know how to exactly describe it but it is becoming very annoying and making the commute more unpleasant then it already is.

It only happens at a very specific moment - while i'm driving between 50-60 km/h and sitting at ~1100 RPM, even worse on an uphill. I have taken it to the dealer a few times but they haven't been able to pin point the issue.

Last time I went, had the mechanic sit with me while i drove and he said it happens with all CVT engines but the explanation didn't feel sufficient. Hoping someone else in here has had a similar issue and can help. New to the forum here so if I haven't provided all detail let me know!

Thanks

V

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes I get a vibration sometimes when it shifts into a higher gear and drops to 1100 rpm in city driving.....only solution I have found is to put in sport mode or manually downshift.....I was told it is normal and set to get as hi mpg as possible.......the dealer did a soft ware update for me but it did nothing.....good luck / cheers p

·
Registered
689 Posts
You typed all that for us, but no clue what your 'weird' sound is. You have to at least, attempt to describe how it sounds like and where it's coming from.

Hi All,

Driving a 2015 sonata for the past few years and recently have been hearing a weird sound, don't know how to exactly describe it but it is becoming very annoying and making the commute more unpleasant then it already is.

It only happens at a very specific moment - while i'm driving between 50-60 km/h and sitting at ~1100 RPM, even worse on an uphill. I have taken it to the dealer a few times but they haven't been able to pin point the issue.

Last time I went, had the mechanic sit with me while i drove and he said it happens with all CVT engines but the explanation didn't feel sufficient. Hoping someone else in here has had a similar issue and can help. New to the forum here so if I haven't provided all detail let me know!

Thanks

V

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
We also don't have CVT transmissions. Thankfully Hyundai has not decided to curse us with one of those things.

I don't want to do the conversion in my head right now, but one issue I have with my current 2015 and former 2013, happens around 37mph, when the transmission downshifts automatically from 5 to 4. You can feel the car get very sluggish for just a brief moment. Immediately followed by a spike in the RPMs.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Hi All,

Thanks

V
What engine? how many miles?
Whats a CVT engine? I had a car with a CVT transmission. Most of my engines were piston or rotor based and were either gasoline or diesel.

Your mechanic is an idiot. You need a new mechanic.

If you can hear the sound, then the sound can be recorded. So, post a youtube video of it. Otherwise, only the psychics here can help you and we don't have too many active psychics as members on this forum anymore.

Reactions: MattTRIX

·
Registered
313 Posts
Change dealers if they tell you that your 2015 has a CVT trans. Can't trust that tech or dealer.

2015's with 2.4 or 2.0T have a six Speed torque converter trans.

2015's with 1.6T have a DCT.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recorded this audio in the engine bay of my 2015 Sonata 2.4 GL at idle speed. Is this the normal sound of the engine or is it the sound of piston slap. I went to the Hyundai service centre and according to them there is no unusual sound. Can anybody please advise?

·
Registered
406 Posts
I recorded this audio in the engine bay of my 2015 Sonata 2.4 GL at idle speed. Is this the normal sound of the engine or is it the sound of piston slap. I went to the Hyundai service centre and according to them there is no unusual sound. Can anybody please advise?
Sounds just like mine. A mix of valvetrain and direct injector noises. I’d say it’s pretty normal

·
Registered
128 Posts
Going 60km/hr uphill at 1100 rpms?
You are in the wrong gear...our engines don't have enough torque at 1100rpms to pull an uphill.
If mine drops below 1200rpm on a level road I drop down a gear. Uphill my 2.4L needs to be 1800 or higher to feel right and not like it is lugging down and wasting fuel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts