Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 Hyundai Sonata confirmed for New York debut - Autoblog

Despite receiving a host of improvements for the 2014 model year, the next-generation Hyundai Sonata is right around the corner. During a technical briefing today, Hyundai's North American CEO, John Krafcik, has confirmed to Autoblog that the 2015 Sonata will debut at the 2014 New York Auto Show in April.

The Sonata will be one of Hyundai's three major launches coming in the first half of 2014. First will be the 2015 Genesis sedan, which will bow at the 2014 Detroit Auto Show, and also coming in 2014 is a new fuel-cell vehicle from Hyundai.

Despite the current Sonata's age relative to key rivals, it's still doing rather well for Hyundai. Krafcik told us that the sedan currently has a 42-day dealer supply, which is lower than its fresher competitors. The nipped/tucked 2014 Sonata should help keep that momentum going until this all-new 2015 model arrives next year.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,286 Posts
Great news.

If the LF Sonata is in anyway reminiscent of the new Genesis Sedan, Hyundai will selling even more of them this time around.

Jealous now...need to pay off the Sled quicker!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Any hope of AWD? I'm jumping to Subaru if Hyundai doesn't offer an AWD turbo sedan for around $30K. Either going WRX or Legacy depending on how the '15 models look in person.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I do not see the Sonata getting an AWD system anytime soon. Hyundai is just getting into the technology on their cars with the Genesis, which is rear wheel drive.

The YF and LF chassis were designed for front wheel drive only so they will never see it without some expensive aftermarket conversion

Switching to an AWD setup would require a complete frame redesign as well as a new suspension setup. That would increase the price and weight while hurting performance and mileage, and that is where the Sonata's main competitive advantage lies.

Other makers besides Subaru have gone with AWD setups, but they are not true AWD like Subaru and are really made for light snow. Additional weight and fuel penalty for not a lot of additional handling.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'll never understand the cry for all-wheel drive. If you can't drive in snow with front-wheel drive, you shouldn't be driving in the snow, or at least not with that particular car.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I'll never understand the cry for all-wheel drive. If you can't drive in snow with front-wheel drive, you shouldn't be driving in the snow, or at least not with that particular car.
I actually avoid AWD. My last car was a GMC Acadia and I ordered it from the factory FWD only. Dealer looked at me cross eyed. Just no real need for it in my area and I don't want the additional complexity and maintenance needs.

·
Registered
559 Posts
You guys don't obviously live at 8,500' where many of the roads have grades. I work at 10,000', so my commute is going up 1,500' through twisty mountain roads. AWD+snow tires is the best.

With the OEM Hankooks, it would take me a minute to spin up my driveway in the Sonata.

Wife's 4x4 Durango with Michelin LTX MS/2s doesn't have any issue going up hills, which FWD cars with all-seasons can't make it up.

AWD is also not just great in snow. Great in rain, dirt roads, etc. I miss it. I put some Cont DWS tires on my Sonata to get me through the next 18 months, but won't have FWD again until I move off the mountain.

I'm obviouslly not a quick learner. I had an Optima EX that sucked in the snow but got suckered in with the Sonata's turbo with a deal I couldn't pass up :D

Here is my driveway, the Optima and Sonata with their OEM tires took a minute to get up:

Of course I could spend $1k+ for a dedicated winter tire package, which would be the smart thing to do. But I still miss AWD :) The '15 WRX with CVT might be my next ride if the next gen Legacy sucks.

·
Registered
559 Posts
This video sums up how i feel about it:

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
That's a convincing video if it wasn't staged. I have to say I've driven in bad snow over the years with FWD only and never really had any issues at all. On the other hand, I understand the need in many other parts of the country.

·
Registered
544 Posts
You guys don't obviously live at 8,500' where many of the roads have grades. I work at 10,000', so my commute is going up 1,500' through twisty mountain roads. AWD+snow tires is the best.

With the OEM Hankooks, it would take me a minute to spin up my driveway in the Sonata.

Wife's 4x4 Durango with Michelin LTX MS/2s doesn't have any issue going up hills, which FWD cars with all-seasons can't make it up.

AWD is also not just great in snow. Great in rain, dirt roads, etc. I miss it. I put some Cont DWS tires on my Sonata to get me through the next 18 months, but won't have FWD again until I move off the mountain.

I'm obviouslly not a quick learner. I had an Optima EX that sucked in the snow but got suckered in with the Sonata's turbo with a deal I couldn't pass up :D

Here is my driveway, the Optima and Sonata with their OEM tires took a minute to get up:

Of course I could spend $1k+ for a dedicated winter tire package, which would be the smart thing to do. But I still miss AWD :) The '15 WRX with CVT might be my next ride if the next gen Legacy sucks.
I hate to burst your bubble, but we get plenty of snow here and it isn't exactly flat. I don't know if I can state we have twisty roads, but that would qualify as a "don't drive this type of car" from before. Your needs may be the exception to the rule. Snow tires I will agree can make a huge difference, but that's an entirely different subject than the need for AWD.

That's a convincing video if it wasn't staged. I have to say I've driven in bad snow over the years with FWD only and never really had any issues at all. On the other hand, I understand the need in many other parts of the country.
Staged, like how the Optima stopped on the snow like the driver's never done it before, and the WRX didn't stop? People don't use logic anymore. If you want to show off AWD, start in the middle of all snow and show the FWD vehicle having issues doing the same (it will if you don't have snow tires especially).

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
AWD will also break you when it comes time to tire replacement. You blow one and you have to replace all four or void the warranty on your driveline components.

That's why Mama has a FWD Terrain. Also had to have it special ordered (although from another local dealer not from the factory) Like in Mikemu's situation, dealer was flabbergasted that we would not want an AWD one.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Maintenance is worth it. Just the depreciation hit a 2wd truck or SUV takes in the snow belt negates any money saved by maintenance.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
On a truck or SUV, I totally agree (actually going to have to pursue this route once I pay off the Red Sled)

However, on an AWD family sedan its almost a no-go. As evidenced by the lower sales of Fusions, Chargers, and other mid to large size sedans in comparison to their FWD counterparts.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
AWD will also break you when it comes time to tire replacement. You blow one and you have to replace all four or void the warranty on your driveline components.

That's why Mama has a FWD Terrain. Also had to have it special ordered (although from another local dealer not from the factory) Like in Mikemu's situation, dealer was flabbergasted that we would not want an AWD one.

How's the Terrain? The Acadias have been very trouble prone although mine held up fairly well over five years. Bad trannys, slipping timing chains, leaking sunroofs and the list goes on and on. I sold mine right before the warranty was about to expire. Wasn't worth taking the chance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts