Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some input on people who went through the huge engine recall service. Driving on the highway today and all of a sudden my check engine light came on. I got this code from Automatic OBD II adapter. I cannot go above 2,000RPM for the time being. Liberty Hyundai said they have to check if they have engines in their warehouse. Please see attached screenshot.

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
Congrats on winning the Hyundai Free Engine Lottery!

I haven't been through the ordeal, but from what others report, they give you a loaner and change the short block to one that's less bad (they are still Theta engines). Some posters report having a wiring harness changed and sometimes that solves the problem.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on winning the Hyundai Free Engine Lottery!

I haven't been through the ordeal, but from what others report, they give you a loaner and change the short block to one that's less bad (they are still Theta engines). Some posters report having a wiring harness changed and sometimes that solves the problem.

Keep us posted.
I'm honored to win a free engine that takes a few days to properly install. I'm trying to get a full engine replacement rather than just the short block. I rather have a full factory assembled engine then have the techs just install the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I'm honored to win a free engine that takes a few days to properly install. I'm trying to get a full engine replacement rather than just the short block. I rather have a full factory assembled engine then have the techs just install the rest.

Best of luck with a factory complete engine, let us know if you do. You will really have won the Theta II lottery.

To the best of my knowledge no one in the last 7 years since this problem was acknowledged has been warrantied with a complete engine. Factory long blocks are what are being used.

If you have not had the 953 update performed you may just get the 953 and a wiring harness first and be sent on your way to see if it happens again.. Unless there is a active knock or the engine locks up

·
Registered
37 Posts
Had same thing happen. I had a new long block installed. 5,000 km ago and so far no oil consumption problems, but time will tell. As P7hk9 has stated...it's just another "newer Theta engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Best of luck with a factory complete engine, let us know if you do. You will really have won the Theta II lottery.

To the best of my knowledge no one in the last 7 years since this problem was acknowledged has been warrantied with a complete engine. Factory long blocks are what are being used.

If you have not had the 953 update performed you may just get the 953 and a wiring harness first and be sent on your way to see if it happens again.. Unless there is a active knock or the engine locks up
Replacing the wiring hardness feels like a bandage for the issue. I rather them just replacing every possible part that is part of the recall. I don't feel safe driving a car with just different wires making it work again. Doesn't settle right with me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:

So I brought the car to liberty Hyundai to first get the wiring harness replaced. Worked for a little while and the Hyundai tech test drove the car. No issues.
Driving home on I-87, engine started knocking under normal driving. Back to Hyundai for a replacement engine. Engines are on backorder. This is gonna be fun.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Update:

So I brought the car to liberty Hyundai to first get the wiring harness replaced. Worked for a little while and the Hyundai tech test drove the car. No issues.
Driving home on I-87, engine started knocking under normal driving. Back to Hyundai for a replacement engine. Engines are on backorder. This is gonna be fun.

Did they give you a loaner?

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Update:

Well you were spared step 2 - replacing the knock sensor, at least you got to proceed directly to step 3 - with eventual engine replacement. The joys of driving a Theta II powered vehicle, fun however long it may last.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did they give you a loaner?
Yes, Im too young to drive a loaner so Im getting my dads 2012 Mercedes, woohoo! We got a 2020 Sonata base model loaner for IDK how long. But good time for this to happen as I am home in self quarantine like the rest of the world.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well you were spared step 2 - replacing the knock sensor, at least you got to proceed directly to step 3 - with eventual engine replacement. The joys of driving a Theta II powered vehicle, fun however long it may last.
They said they will replace the entire engine. The same engine that could go bad again down the line. The techs were honest.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
They said they will replace the entire engine. The same engine that could go bad again down the line. The techs were honest.
You will be the first we have sen that gets a complete engine. That will be great.

When it is done if you can post a picture of the repair invoice so any of us in the future may be able to use the info to help get more than a long block that would be very helpful

·
Registered
220 Posts
You will be the first we have sen that gets a complete engine. That will be great.

When it is done if you can post a picture of the repair invoice so any of us in the future may be able to use the info to help get more than a long block that would be very helpful
My guess would be they are giving him a long block, which is referred to as a "complete engine" by a lot of people for the simple fact that it is not a short block.

A complete engine IMO would be a "turn key" engine that comes with a new fuel system, intake and exhaust manifolds, and electrical components.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
My guess would be they are giving him a long block, which is referred to as a "complete engine" by a lot of people for the simple fact that it is not a short block.

A complete engine IMO would be a "turn key" engine that comes with a new fuel system, intake and exhaust manifolds, and electrical components.
yes that is what Im expecting to see it be. That is what everyone has received .
It sounded like in his earlier posts he wanted to get a complete engine drop it in plug it in and go. Not a long block where they will use all of his original electronics, fuel system, cooling system, belts, hoses etc..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, my car is now in the shop getting the engine replaced. Was kind of surprised as I never received a recall notice. They did however had done the knock sensor during one of my regular services (assuming my last service since the car had been in Europe for the last 3-years prior to that). Did not know what questions to ask the dealer so I just dropped it off at the service department and they said it would take approximately two weeks.

Boy, am I glad this whole ordeal did not happen while I was in Europe. This car is not sold there and recalls are a PITA to be taken care of.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update:

My 2015 Sonata Limited is confirmed getting a complete engine replacement. We will know when we pick it up if it's a long block or an actual complete engine which would be great. They said they will have the engine in by tomorrow and I can pickup up the car by the weekend or Monday. Things moved a lot faster than I thought.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Update 4-22-2020:
Got the car back today, confirmed that it is a full engine replacement. They said it is from a different engine plant meaning that this engine does not have the same issue. Hopefully that's true.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Congratulations !
Did you have them replace belts and hoses while the engine was out so you would only pay parts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Congratulations !
Did you have them replace belts and hoses while the engine was out so you would only pay parts?
They replaced the fuel line as well. When they started replacing engines that did not replace the fuel line and that caused deadly car fires. They started to replace the fuel line when the engine gets replaced to prevent that. Took an extra few days for the fuel line to come in. Everything is working great...for now.

No belt was replaced that I know of.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts