Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I accidentally hit the DRIVER DOOR WINDOW ( NOT WINDSHIELD) with an umbrella on the inside, and it caused 2 hairline cracks, both an inch long, on the inside of the window on the driver door window. I am sorry for repeating, I just want to make sure i'm clear. The cracks can be felt upon on the inside of the driver door window with a finger, but not on the outside of the window, the outside of the window did not become affected, only the inside of the window has the crack. Its almost like its double layered, and only the inside of the window cracked, not the outside. My question is are the 2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0T windows temper glass? Can I leave it or should I replace it? The cracks arent deep, i just opened an umbrella in the car which sprung out and nailed my door window.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Now , I could be way off here asking this so don't take offence, is the window tinted? Could it not be a crack? I would have expected this glass to be toughened and not something that would crack but would explode into tiny pieces with and deformity as opposed to the front which would be laminated. Any picture you can post up for everyone to see?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now , I could be way off here asking this so don't take offence, is the window tinted? Could it not be a crack? I would have expected this glass to be toughened and not something that would crack but would explode into tiny pieces with and deformity as opposed to the front which would be laminated. Any picture you can post up for everyone to see?
Gerard 2, that is so strange that you mentioned this because I just spoke with a window repair company and they said my window should have shattered, not cracked due to tempered glass. They said if I had tints, it may just be the tint. To answer your question, Yes, I do have tints ( live in hot south florida). Im at work, but after work i will post pictures for you guys. It would be strange if I mistaken a slit/crack in my tint for the window, but i hope i am wrong and your right.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Well, yeah, it's a shame but it's got my interest. I'd expect the the glazier to know but it's also likely a safety requirement too. Cheers

·
Banned
7,037 Posts
If it is the glass you can fix it without replacing. The spot where it was hit should look like a star.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts