Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Just bought a second hand 2015 Sonata Hybrid with 63K miles. After buying found out that HSG Belt replacement was not done. I called around few Hyundai dealers and have been getting different responses. Can someone help me pick up a service dealer based on their response (These responses received after emailing them on yelp. All dealers are in San Francisco bay area):

Dealer1 :
There are 2 belts one is the accessory belt and the other is the serpentine belt. Both should be replaced at the same time. Both belts are $50 each and the labor to install is .8 hours at 180/hr. labor is 144.00 to install
**NOTE**: When I called this dealer first time, they had no idea what HSG belt is and quoted $1120 for HSG. So, I emailed them through yelp and got this response. Is accessory belt same as HSG belt ?

Dealer2 :
This is just a general quote. All prices are plus tax.
replace hsg belt according to BG menu $177

Dealer3 :
The HSG Belt would cost $275 for parts and labor (tax on parts only).

Sorry, if this sounds like a stupid question but I am a novice when it comes to cars. Hoping someone can guide me through.

Thanks,
R

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Open hood and look...

Wide belt is HSG belt,, runs from crank to HSG, and has 2 tensioner to apply pressure

you have a skinny 3 rib belt that drive water pump from crank pulley..

No "serpentine" belt as some call it,, we have 2 belt on Hybrid..

Go buy the 2 belt at Hyundai or Kia dealer part counter, and if you a handy person, you can do it with help of 2nd person for holding tensioners out of way to flip HSG belt off

Cut old water pump off, fastest way off.. trip the new onto pulley slowly

(Make sure to remove service connector,, or leave Smartkey in house while work on Hybrid)

Reactions: tobidog

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
He might have remote start as well. The hood being open normally deactivates switch for remote start I think.

But can’t argue with extra safety, negative terminal unhooked from battery is probably “ by the book “ method.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Just want to clarify... negative terminal unhooked from battery does not disconnect our starter on the hybrid. As SBR stated, you must disconnect the service connector terminal in the trunk. It's a plug in the trunk, not the 12V battery in the trunk.

He might have remote start as well. The hood being open normally deactivates switch for remote start I think.

But can’t argue with extra safety, negative terminal unhooked from battery is probably “ by the book “ method.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm definitely going to be changing the belts myself when it comes time. Sounds like Dealer 1 or 2 are reasonable.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I posted this in a different thread a few weeks ago -

I have a friend that is a district service manager so I asked if he could check to see how much I should pay to have it done. He spoke with one of his dealers and gave me a price of $160.00 for parts and labor. That is for 2 belts installed. .7 hours for labor.

I've been meaning to call a couple of dealers in my area to get some quotes. I'll try to do that Monday to see how they compare.

·
Registered
559 Posts
sbr711, since you work on these cars, do you recommend that the belt tensioners get replaced after a certain number of years? I recall you've mentioned seeing some repeated failures with them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts