Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0T
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sonata is just over 5 years old and it's still my baby. I have washed it once a week since the day I bought it. It's driving me crazy seeing the headlights turn brown from sun damage. I recently bought a house so I am now parking in a garage but have been out in the sun for the past 4 years. The solid white bars on the tops of the headlights are so exposed to the sun so now those white bars are brown. Before dropping $1,000 on new headlights, does anyone have any remedies or products they recommend for headlight discoloration? I've tried some of the basic ones and no luck.
Now.jpeg

·
Registered
12 Posts
You research how to do it yourself and it would cost at the most $100.00 dollars. Check out this link very informative on how to do yourself and save the cost of replacment
. Hopes this helps

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
There's a lot of videos out there on this topic with ideas. Sad fact of life now everything is polycarbonate with a clear coat the coating can't handle the UV for the life of the car.

My tip straight up is fit a set of headlight covers. They will cut the UV exposure. I've seen this a bit now and I have a 12 year i30 in the family with original headlights in close to mint condition. Where ever the cover was the lens is perfect. Just the outer edge on top where the cover does cover the lens completely the clear is gone. Seen the same on a 10 year old 200 series Landcruiser, wherever the cover was all perfect, portions not covered , shot and all yellow.

I recently tried 2k clear over Plastic adhesion promoter (clear) and got good results on similar style lamps as yours. Mine are over $1000 AUD each so at that price it was worth trying to salvage them first.

I completely sanded back to the lens , all clear removed. The only thing not perfect was the clarity with the ligts on but work perfectly well. I think a combination of the adhesion promoter brand and application could have been too heavy. Otherwise for a first go I'm happy.

A set of covers going on this weekend. Here's before and after. The vehicle is 208000 Km and high speed dirt road driving so plenty of nicks and scratches in the lenses.

Could do with a wet sand and buff to clarify, on the car they have had a buff.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,604 Posts
I like the 3m kit to get them clear again and then a headlight clearcoat either the 3m of Maguire's Ive used.
Then I have added 3m film over the lights , plenty of DIY kits out there and with a hair dryer or heat gun on low its pretty easy. After that worst youll ever have to do again is replace the film

·
Registered
78 Posts
Best results I've seen were from a DIY on another car forum. I believe the guy wetsanded with 600, 800, 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit. Then he used a rubbing compound to machine polish. Finally the lights were sprayed with 2K clearcoat. This is basically the same grits and polish that the restoration kits come with. The thing that makes the difference is how you seal them. I've seen excellent results with 2K clear, automotive clear, or paint protection film. Just as long as you replace the UV protection that you sanded off. I've used a few kits over the years and none of the sealants have lasted more than a few months even with the car being garaged. I've also had success keeping my lights from yellowing by using a good quality paint sealant on the headlights when I wash my car. My car has spent 100% of its 2 years of life outside in the sun and no yellowing yet thankfully.

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L
133 Posts
My sonata is just over 5 years old and it's still my baby. I have washed it once a week since the day I bought it. It's driving me crazy seeing the headlights turn brown from sun damage. I recently bought a house so I am now parking in a garage but have been out in the sun for the past 4 years. The solid white bars on the tops of the headlights are so exposed to the sun so now those white bars are brown. Before dropping $1,000 on new headlights, does anyone have any remedies or products they recommend for headlight discoloration? I've tried some of the basic ones and no luck.
View attachment 452612
Try this with a microfiber. It really works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts