Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 453 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

Just went in for an oil change and the service manager mentioned that there is recall for our 2015 2.4L and 2.0T Sonatas (Service Campaign 953).

Here is the following details from the service campaign as of 2018/08/16:

"
YOUR VEHICLE IS AFFECTED.

What should you do?
To ensure the quality of your vehicle, contact your nearest Hyundai dealer to schedule the software update installation as soon as possible. This software update will be performed for FREE.

What is the Product Improvement Campaign?
The software update installs a newly developed Knock Sensor Detection System (KSDS) that detects vibrations indicating the onset of excessive connecting rod bearing wear in the engine. The KSDS is designed to alert a vehicle driver at an early stage of bearing wear before the occurrence of engine damage.

What will Hyundai do?
Your dealer will install the software update FREE OF CHARGE. Additional information can be found in the FAQ section.
"

I guess this update will help for early detection of engine problems that plagued many Theta II engines for the past few years.

My 2015 Sonata 2.0T has almost 70k miles. Just been following the scheduled maintenance on the owner's manual. Aiming to drive the car till the wheels fall off.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
no recalls open for my 2015 2.4L. must've been taken care of by previous owner.
From what I see, It's not a recall, but a voluntary software update. Unusual that they chose the 2015 model year to receive the update when that year isn't involved in the engine debris fiasco............at least not yet.

·
Registered
258 Posts
From what I see, It's not a recall, but a voluntary software update. Unusual that they chose the 2015 model year to receive the update when that year isn't involved in the engine debris fiasco............at least not yet.

ahhhhhhhhh. got it. I'll bring it up at my next oil change then. thanks for the tipoff

·
Registered
110 Posts
I believe it only impacts turbo models to prevent pre-ignition. Low Speed Pre-Ignition (LSPI). Unfortunately it is a hidden flaw found with the early GDI engines. It can be minimized with software programming. If not held in check it can damage the connecting rod bearings.

Frank 2017 Sonata SE with 18.5K miles

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
For the guys and girls,especially turbo owners,stay away from lower grade oils and use oils that protect against LSPI. The writing has been o the wall for some time now and manufacturers,behind the scenes agree on this.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Ok kids,,, enough speculation as to what we think we talking about ----

CAMPAIGN

AUGUST 2018

SONATA (LF)

SUBJECT: SONATA ECM & CLUSTER UPDATE – ENGINE MONITORING LOGIC PRODUCT IMPROVEMENT (SERVICE CAMPAIGN 953)

Description:
Hyundai is conducting a product improvement campaign to enhance the knock sensor software on certain 2015 MY Sonata vehicles to detect abnormal engine bearing noise before potentially severe engine damage occurs.

If abnormal engine bearing noise is detected, the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) will blink continuously, a chime will sound, and the vehicle will be placed in Limp Home Mode allowing the customer to drive to the nearest Hyundai dealer for
diagnosis and repair.

In addition, DTC P132600 will be recorded in the ECM. The vehicle can continue to be operated for a limited time in Limp Home Mode, but it will accelerate slower and have a reduced maximum speed. Engine RPMs will be limited to approximately 1800-2000 RPM.

Applicable Vehicles: Certain 2015 MY Sonata (LF) vehicles with 2.4L and 2.0L Turbo engines

*** Retail Vehicles ***
Dealers must perform this Campaign on all affected vehicles whenever an affected vehicle is in the shop for any maintenance or repair.

When a vehicle arrives at the Service Department, access Hyundai Motor America's "Warranty
Vehicle Information" screen via WEBDCS to identify open Campaigns

The program enhances Knock logic to distinguish difference in frequency of engine knock, and rod knock

·
Registered
100 Posts
I guess Hyundai now recognizes that the rod bearing problem also affects the 2015 model years.

Even the the failure rates are no where near as high as the 2011 MY, the problem still exists.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Bringing my 2015 Sport 2.4l PZEV in tomorrow morning for the update.
Make sure they do both update,, tell them you want screenshot print of each finished update install

Reactions: Cammerv8

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ok

Back from Dealership- took around 45 minutes for update.

Got a 7 page print-out of how the technician is to do the update, plus 2 separate pages confirming the update was done.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
So, the LF(2015+ lower HP higher torque updated newer rev engines) have a knock sensor that can hear 'bearing noises'????? I guess a microphone can hear everything that the ECU cares to look for. I wonder how many warranty failures it took before they decided on a 'software' fix?

How soon before the 2015+'s start dropping like flies?

Great, the knock sensor will now warn you of an "about to seize" engine.

"Ding ding ding" .... your engine is about to seize. You are limited to 1800-2000rpm. Please report to your dealership for repair.

Say away from thin oils, conventional oils, extended oil intervals, low octane fuels, and low oil dipstick levels. Hyundai marketing was a complete failure for the cheap brain dead US consumer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I went back to all my Oil Change/Filter work orders since 2015.

I noticed the oil the Dealership used for every oil change is Quaker State 5W-30 and

not the 5W-20.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I looked at all my previous oil changes all done at the dealer. Yeah, all 5w-20 instead of 5w-30, and I maintained a 3.5K OCI all these years. In the last 15+ months, went DIY and switched to 5w-40, a Fram XG filter. After 4 oil changes, the oil turns black much later than at the 1K mark, and the .3-.5 quart oil consumption no longer happens.

For those on the fence, switch to a thicker oil, it's not worth the mpg trade off and go enjoy your car and drive it a bit harder!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Just took my 2015 2.0T in for oil, filter and tire rotation yesterday. Hyundai Senior Master Tech also did this TSB.

Never had any problems with either this 2015 or my other 2018.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I believe it only impacts turbo models to prevent pre-ignition. Low Speed Pre-Ignition (LSPI). Unfortunately it is a hidden flaw found with the early GDI engines. It can be minimized with software programming. If not held in check it can damage the connecting rod bearings.

Frank 2017 Sonata SE with 18.5K miles
If it is for turbos only, then why is the 2.4l engine included?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
If it is for turbos only, then why is the 2.4l engine included?

Read post number 7 slowly and carefully ..... RIF

·
Registered
58 Posts
I looked at all my previous oil changes all done at the dealer. Yeah, all 5w-20 instead of 5w-30, and I maintained a 3.5K OCI all these years. In the last 15+ months, went DIY and switched to 5w-40, a Fram XG filter. After 4 oil changes, the oil turns black much later than at the 1K mark, and the .3-.5 quart oil consumption no longer happens.

For those on the fence, switch to a thicker oil, it's not worth the mpg trade off and go enjoy your car and drive it a bit harder!

This a typo?
Your 2011 Turbo calls for 5w-30.
Why would the dealership put in 5-w20?

My dealership did just the opposite- car calls for 5w-20 and they have been

putting in 5 w-30.

·
Registered
313 Posts
5w-20 vs 5w-30 plus full Synthetic. Dealers don't want to carry THREE grades of oil. Most of their cars are not turbos, so they call for 5w-20. Because the owners manual does not say that you must use synthetic, they just use the 5w/20.

This is why they only carry two grades, not three grades. They don't have room for three bulk tanks plus three oil hoses and pumps.

If you want to pay the big markup for Synthetic, then you will get the
5w-30. Otherwise 5w-20 is what you get.

·
Registered
407 Posts

This a typo?
Your 2011 Turbo calls for 5w-30.
Why would the dealership put in 5-w20?

My dealership did just the opposite- car calls for 5w-20 and they have been

putting in 5 w-30.
Because the dealership likely does not stock 5w-30 for the few Hyundai's that require it. So a thinner oil went in all these years, and I never paid attention to it until I started hanging around this forum more regularly after getting the engine recall notice. All I got was a new orange dipstick...haha

1 - 20 of 453 Posts