Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 2015 Sonata 2.0Twith 8000 miles started running oddly about 2 weeks ago. Rough idle with engine "sputtering". Erratic acceleration -- merging into traffic on highway and car not going over 40mph, even with gas pedal all the way to the floor. On deceleration, clunky down-shifting. Very hard to drive. Dealership first came back with diagnosis of "buildup on throttle plate" (Note - I use only high-quality gas AND only have 8000 miles on car, 3500 or that being one long highway road trip). Then, after 3 days of diagnosis, they say I need 2 new fuel injectors which are back-ordered until November, or else December or January!! I am baffled how a new car can have either buildup or failed fuel injectors....Has anyone else heard of early life fuel injector failures on 2015 Sonata 2.0T?

·
Senior Menmber
2,134 Posts
My new 2015 Sonata 2.0Twith 8000 miles started running oddly about 2 weeks ago. Rough idle with engine "sputtering". Erratic acceleration -- merging into traffic on highway and car not going over 40mph, even with gas pedal all the way to the floor. On deceleration, clunky down-shifting. Very hard to drive. Dealership first came back with diagnosis of "buildup on throttle plate" (Note - I use only high-quality gas AND only have 8000 miles on car, 3500 or that being one long highway road trip). Then, after 3 days of diagnosis, they say I need 2 new fuel injectors which are back-ordered until November, or else December or January!! I am baffled how a new car can have either buildup or failed fuel injectors....Has anyone else heard of early life fuel injector failures on 2015 Sonata 2.0T?

00000732 Welcome to the forums. I have not read any posts about early injector failures on 2015 or other year Sonata 2.0 Turbos. Having 2 injectors fail at such low miles has got to be very rare.

I'm moving your post to the Sonata YF Turbo sub-forum where more turbo owners will see and, hopefully, respond.

Also:
Please update your profile. Easy to do. Click on "user CP" in upper right of screen (on smartphone use PC mode). That will take you to a page where, on the left side of the screen under “Your Profile” heading, click on the "Edit Your Details" link. You should update the year, model, and engine of your vehicle. Also, please include your general location city/area, state, and country. We have members all over the world. Different countries may have differences in models and laws/regulations. THANKS!!!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
8000 miles with carbon build up on the throttle plate sounds fishy. Did they show you the throttle plate?

·
Registered
226 Posts
No, in fact I have not noticed that any Sonata from 2011 until present year had fuel injectors, my engine has GDI (Gas Direct injection.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the inquiry. No, they didn't show me the plate -- when they notified me, they had already "cleaned" it.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
GDI intake is dry.. fuel is fired directly into cylinder.. has no EGR, thus intake is fairly clean, except for tiny bit of reversion, but dirty throttle plate does not shut down an engine, or create single cylinder misfire..

GDI with 2011-2014 Theta II engine have had random injector concerns,, replaced a few set myself, along with other tech in shop..

Cant say we seen concern with the new LF yet.. Something you may look at also is if the cam plug is set correctly..the plug in the front of the cam behind the black rubber plug at front of engine that we had to use tool and make sure cam plug seated correct depth..

Did we scan the thing and find any DTC ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wanted to post an update to this earlier thread. My car was in the shop for 12 days while they diagnosed and acquired the 4 new fuel injectors. The injectors have been in place for about 1 week now and the car seems to be back to normal, although I am keeping a close eye on it. I only talked with service adviser, not the mechanic but looking at his notes he stated "found all injectors had carbon buildup." When I asked why I would have carbon buildup at 8000 miles, with 3500 of those miles being long highway road trip - they said they did not know.

With such an unexplained failure, I find that I am regretting buying a Hyundai over a more reliable brand like Acura,Honda, Toyota,Subaru, etc. I have had cars from all 4 of those brands and drove them 100-200K miles and never had this kind of issue. I buy only top-tier gasoline and try to balance my around-town driving with some highway driving so that the car can run in performance mode some of the time.

Thanks for all the inputs. I must say, the dealership did take full ownership of this matter and when the diagnosis became complicated, they immediately put me in a nice rental car at their expense, for the 12 days I was without a car. So bravo - Southpoint Hyundai Austin, TX No one has ever done that except my Acura dealer!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I buy only top-tier gasoline and try to balance my around-town driving with some highway driving so that the car can run in performance mode some of the time.
I buy what I can and if my injectors get carbon build up at 8K miles and go out, I can promise this vehicle will be traded faster than you can say KIA or HYUNDAI.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I wanted to post an update to this earlier thread. My car was in the shop for 12 days while they diagnosed and acquired the 4 new fuel injectors. The injectors have been in place for about 1 week now and the car seems to be back to normal, although I am keeping a close eye on it. I only talked with service adviser, not the mechanic but looking at his notes he stated "found all injectors had carbon buildup." When I asked why I would have carbon buildup at 8000 miles, with 3500 of those miles being long highway road trip - they said they did not know.

With such an unexplained failure, I find that I am regretting buying a Hyundai over a more reliable brand like Acura,Honda, Toyota,Subaru, etc. I have had cars from all 4 of those brands and drove them 100-200K miles and never had this kind of issue. I buy only top-tier gasoline and try to balance my around-town driving with some highway driving so that the car can run in performance mode some of the time.
Margiet999,

Thanks for all the inputs. I must say, the dealership did take full ownership of this matter and when the diagnosis became complicated, they immediately put me in a nice rental car at their expense, for the 12 days I was without a car. So bravo - Southpoint Hyundai Austin, TX No one has ever done that except my Acura dealer!
I may be **** wrong, but for me carbon build-up is a sign of oil burnt.
Having 8000 miles, did you change oil?

·
Senior Menmber
2,134 Posts
Glad to see the dealer treated you so well. Some dealers provide great customer services and others...........

Check out the post by SBR711. I encourage you to discuss with the dealer service manager the possibility that the reason for the bad injectors is that the cam plug is not seated to the correct depth. If that is the problem and not properly adjusted, your injectors may go bad again in a short time.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Check out the post by SBR711. I encourage you to discuss with the dealer service manager the possibility that the reason for the bad injectors is that the cam plug is not seated to the correct depth. If that is the problem and not properly adjusted, your injectors may go bad again in a short time.

Cam plug has nothing to do with injectors.. but it can create some drive concerns.. I had to go find recall paper and I copy part of the text -

Description:

On certain 2015 SONATA (LF) vehicles equipped with 2.0T and 2.4L GDI engines, the “Check Engine Light” may illuminate with DTC P0010 (Intake Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit) stored in the ECM.

This condition may be due to incomplete seating of the internal oil seal plug at the intake camshaft E-CVVT (Electronic-Continuously Variable Valve Timing) actuator.

The vehicle may also exhibit one or more of the following conditions:

 Target engine idle speed is elevated to 1,200-1,400 RPM

 Hesitation and/or slight reduction in power during acceleration

Follow the procedure outlined in this bulletin to seat the seal plug of the intake camshaft

·
Senior Menmber
2,134 Posts
Thanks a lot. She asks about fuel injectors and you respond with off-topic cam plug. Since, I think you walk on water, I tell her to do it for her injectors. Now everyone will know that I never know what I'm talking about. :blush:

Cam plug has nothing to do with injectors.. but it can create some drive concerns.. I had to go find recall paper and I copy part of the text -

Description:

On certain 2015 SONATA (LF) vehicles equipped with 2.0T and 2.4L GDI engines, the “Check Engine Light” may illuminate with DTC P0010 (Intake Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit) stored in the ECM.

This condition may be due to incomplete seating of the internal oil seal plug at the intake camshaft E-CVVT (Electronic-Continuously Variable Valve Timing) actuator.

The vehicle may also exhibit one or more of the following conditions:

 Target engine idle speed is elevated to 1,200-1,400 RPM

 Hesitation and/or slight reduction in power during acceleration

Follow the procedure outlined in this bulletin to seat the seal plug of the intake camshaft

·
Registered
676 Posts
You are actually not the only one with this problem. My car did the exact thing this morning and had to have the car towed. They replaced all 4 fuel injectors, 4 new injector clips, 4 new spark plugs, and 1 intake manifold gasket. They noted that cylinder 4 was flooded with fuel. I dont understand why the injectors failed prematurely as Ive also been using top tier fuel on tje car. Thank god for 10/100000 mile warranty but still, this is a bit concerning.

·
Registered
2015 Sonata LF 2.0T
11 Posts
Has anyone been able to find a performance fuel Injector upgrade kit for the 2015 2.0T LF?

·
Registered
702 Posts
[QUOTE="_ty199x_, post: 6002759, member: 1207273"Has anyone been able to find a performance fuel Injector upgrade kit for the 2015 2.0T LF?[/QUOTE]

You mean as pumping more fuel? If so how do you propose to pump more air?

·
Registered
2015 Sonata LF 2.0T
11 Posts
Well, I mean the 2.0T is a forced induction engine to begin with. But if you mean "pump" like "suck" more air through the engine efficiently I'd say your typical stage 3 upgrades? ie: tune, downpipe, custom air intake manifold, bigger turbo, wastegate upgrade, intercooler, meth kit, forged pistons, rods even. I have found links to everything I just listed. LAP3USA can do it all (around $12k in just parts, I've been researching on the "G4KH" Theta II engine lately). What I haven't been able to find yet are bigger fuel injectors.

·
Registered
2015 Sonata LF 2.0T
11 Posts
Haven’t confirmed personally but probably so, I’d hope so. I’ll be leaving it up to professionals when I decide to get my engine rebuilt.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts