Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3,741 Posts
i replaced the factory head unit, and kept the factory speakers. huge difference. with factory unit on full volume, sound is weak and distorted. with new head unit, about 1/4 volume, system is very loud, but clear.

· Registered
3,741 Posts
Nice. What head unit did you wind up putting into your car? I'm always interested in seeing these (a pic would be nice) as the Elantra has such a unique bezel shape - not every radio that fits looks nice. But function should come over form~ right? I liked the performance of the NAV unit radio, so when I bought my car I searched out one with that audio system. It does not disappoint. The only improvement I would even consider (sound wise) would be to add a small (read 8-10") powered sub to supplement the base. Other than that OEM premium is pretty impressive.

If money was no object I would lobe to see how hard it would be to install the newer Hyundai Elantra HD Radio - I love that interface....
pioneer avic-8200nex. newegg had a deal, 525/shipped. got the faceplate and wiring harness from crutchfield. i wanted nav, and android auto. this radio drives the speakers to beyond performance capabilities. i am no audiophile, but stuff like bass and treble are many times better. it has capabilities way beyond my needs.

· Registered
3,741 Posts
A week later, the Pioneer AVH-500EX is in.

The biggest headache I had, and continue to have, is the PAC Audio RP4.2-HY11 module that allows you to keep all of the factory functions. The first one I got was bad, so I had to wait for a replacement from Crutchfield. The second one...sorta works. On the Steering Wheel, the volume up/down, track up/down, mode, and mute buttons all work. The voice recognition (probably isn't supported by the Pioneer), and pick up/hang up phone buttons do not.

the EXACT same thing happened to me. i had that module replaced 3 times, tried resetting, manual setting, NOTHING. finally, i called the company(not crutchfield, pac-866-931-8021). watch out, because when you call, it appears that they will only talk to an installer or tech. the person i spoke to at first did not want to talk to a customer. wtf? when i explained, then he asked what numbers were on the unit. you have to do a firmware update. apparently, they send a basic module, then you gotta go to their site, and download the firmware for your car. once i did that, ALL the swc work perfectly. i told crutchfield about this, they had no ideal. i guess they STILL dont.

· Registered
3,741 Posts
I actually did update the firmware. I was reluctant to do so, because I thought that might have been what killed the first PAC module, but it was probably bad to begin with. I tried installing the second one without doing the firmware update, but NONE of the steering wheel controls were working properly, so I didn't have much to lose at that point.

I only knew that the firmware needed to be updated from reading through reviews and various forum posts.
when i did the update, i then checked each function. press each button, and i think you get a green lite. if not, then i would call pac and rag on them. i got really good at getting the radio out, then back in. but the update worked right away. perhaps you should try updating again. crutchfield must spend a lot on warranty for the module.

· Registered
3,741 Posts
So you were able to get the factory USB port working with the PAC Audio interface? I still can't get mine working. The port definitely recognizes that a device has been attached, be it an iPhone or USB drive, but it won't read anything. I keep getting the "No Response" message from the head unit. I'll have to go in and try to connect the USB drive directly to the unit. I was hoping it was a simple matter of doing a firmware upgrade to the Pioneer to get it working with IOS 11 since a lot of people seemed to be having issues with that.

I know I can just run the USB extension cable from the back of the head unit, underneath the center console floor trim, and then out near the center console, but I'm being stubborn. I hate to have wires showing, even if it's only a foot or so.
our radio has 2 usb ports. one is to connect(on the crutchfield harness) to the car's usb(it works, also for apple carplay), the other is for direct connect to android. i made a small hole in the partion in front of the shifter, and ran the cable out thru there. i leave the phone in there, it is always connected.
dunno what the pac module has to do with this, but everything works as it should. the only one that is funky is the mute button, if i have waze/google maps running(and i always do), when using the mute, it will change the display on the radio to google maps, but it does mute. since the radio has nav, i use the radio nav, with waze in the background. the radio nav has, for me, a better nav display

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.