Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
153 Posts
1.)Rolling off low frequencies prevents clipping and distortion. This should not affect the dB being output by the radio. (In theory) Better clarity and stronger volume - subjective.

2.) Most OEM speakers (non amplified) send the full range to the speaker. They have to as the tweeter is passively crossed at the speaker. The speaker may have a natural roll off that would limit its ability to reproduce high frequencies.

3.).It is generally accepted that components are better for sound staging and a simple 12dB passive cross over will suffice (like what the OEM tweeter uses). I have had really good success with component speakers and using the OEM tweeter and crossover. Sound enthusiasts will tell you otherwise - but I always say that every situation is different and you should let your ears be your judge. Replacing just the midbass will improve the punch of the lower end.

4.) Before running 2 ohm speakers be sure your radio can handle the low impedance. Power and volume can be somewhat hard to navigate. Do a bit of research as lower impedance does not mean twice as loud as 4 Ohm nor does a 100W amp twice as loud as a 50W. It DOES mean your amp will put out more power, but a cost - so be careful.

· Registered
153 Posts
i replaced the factory head unit, and kept the factory speakers. huge difference. with factory unit on full volume, sound is weak and distorted. with new head unit, about 1/4 volume, system is very loud, but clear.
Nice. What head unit did you wind up putting into your car? I'm always interested in seeing these (a pic would be nice) as the Elantra has such a unique bezel shape - not every radio that fits looks nice. But function should come over form~ right? I liked the performance of the NAV unit radio, so when I bought my car I searched out one with that audio system. It does not disappoint. The only improvement I would even consider (sound wise) would be to add a small (read 8-10") powered sub to supplement the base. Other than that OEM premium is pretty impressive.

If money was no object I would lobe to see how hard it would be to install the newer Hyundai Elantra HD Radio - I love that interface....

· Registered
153 Posts
pioneer avic-8200nex. newegg had a deal, 525/shipped. got the faceplate and wiring harness from crutchfield. i wanted nav, and android auto. this radio drives the speakers to beyond performance capabilities. i am no audiophile, but stuff like bass and treble are many times better. it has capabilities way beyond my needs.
I'm not a huge Pioneer fan, but that radio looks really nice. They are claiming 50W per channel which in this case equates to 14W RMS. That would be a true clean 14W. I love the interface. Nice grab.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.