Hyundai Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
It doesn't make a difference at all, the HU is the only function that changes. I just did an upgrade for a Sonata SE that maintained all the factory things.

Awesome! I'm sure you knew this question was coming... car to share how, and what parts, you used to accomplish this? I am very much in favor of keeping the mic, usb & aux.

I see you're in Texas, a bit too far for me drive to. So, I would be extremely grateful with any details you could provide.

I did a foolish thing 3 years ago and leased this car, then, last Friday, I purchased it. I know, know... I kicked myself in the ass. I'll be handing over the keys this time next year to my teenage daughter. This is why I want to get the screen larger, and have CarPlay. I will feel much better knowing she can be as hands free as possible with the steering wheel controls, and have access to decent navi with Apple Maps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
OP, did you end up getting the details for you radio swap?

I ask as I am interested in doing the same exact swap.

Hey jd - Thanks for your reply.

Based on what FlyEaglesFly accomplished, I have begun researching newer model 7" Pioneer models, such as the AVH-2440NEX. Even though I currently have SiriusXM, from time to time I enjoy some of the HD Radio stations which the 2440NEX allows. Also, I like the ability to add front and rear cameras.

But then, I am also tinkering with the idea of replacing the 2015 system with a factory 2016 system. I realize I'll need to swap out more than just the dash, such as...

Center Bezel - 84745-C2250-UN5
Clock Assembly - 94510-C2530
Upper Trim Panel - 84740-C2700-4X
Radio - 96160-C2000-4X

Where I am stuck is the wiring. I can't imagine this type of setup would be a simple plug-n-play. Therefore, I would need to seek out the 2015 wiring vs 2016 wiring. I really like the idea of keeping the stock factory look vs the aftermarket look (even though I get more features with aftermarket).

A huge hangup is losing any of the factory steering wheel controls, factory microphone, and factory aux/usb inputs. I really don't want to lose any controls or run replacement components.

I'm honestly in no hurry, so I'll just take my time to get this figured out. I welcome any and all suggestions. I would love to hear, and see, how Navish completed his install of an SE.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
just a thought you could try something less expensive but much improved in terms of sound. upgrade the speakers and get an amp. see how you like the results after? the base stereo may not look all that great but it is much easier and less expensive to start with speakers. fyi if you can listen to speakers before buying. even if not getting from a brick and mortar store e.g. best buy you can still listen to them and then have more to go on than just someone's opinion or written review. none of those will ever take the place of your own ears in deciding which is the best fit for you. on our sport we kept the stock head unit and just slapped in a pair of infinity kappas, no amp and it sounds entirely different, much much better. just another option is all.

·
Registered
98 Posts
just a thought you could try something less expensive but much improved in terms of sound. upgrade the speakers and get an amp. see how you like the results after? the base stereo may not look all that great but it is much easier and less expensive to start with speakers. fyi if you can listen to speakers before buying. even if not getting from a brick and mortar store e.g. best buy you can still listen to them and then have more to go on than just someone's opinion or written review. none of those will ever take the place of your own ears in deciding which is the best fit for you. on our sport we kept the stock head unit and just slapped in a pair of infinity kappas, no amp and it sounds entirely different, much much better. just another option is all.

This is what I did as well. I actually like the factory HU, and wanted to keep the interior looking stock. I added an Alpine KTP-445U behind the dash and Alpine components in the doors and dash, and a 10" sub in the trunk with a Sony mono amp attached to the back of the seat.

The sound is many, many times better than stock, and I retained the factory look and functionality.

·
Registered
2011 Santa Fe LTD 4cyl, 2wd: 2021 Tucson LTD 4cyl, 2wd
396 Posts
This is what I did as well. I actually like the factory HU, and wanted to keep the interior looking stock. I added an Alpine KTP-445U behind the dash and Alpine components in the doors and dash, and a 10" sub in the trunk with a Sony mono amp attached to the back of the seat.

The sound is many, many times better than stock, and I retained the factory look and functionality.
There is a big thread about this subject in the Elantra forums. But be aware. Keeping the stock HU and "just adding aftermarket speakers" usually does not get you much. I can't speak to expensive speakers, but in the Elantra thread the goal was to self install and spend about $125 on a pair of coax and a pair of component Infinity speakers. The woofers (same as Sonata) are 6.5 inch.

People who did this experienced better clarity and less muddled bass but lost some bass volume. This is common when going from cheap stock speakers to aftermarket. You get better highs and mids but loose bass.

What cooley did was way above, just swapping some door speakers. He added 2 amps, a sub, speakers, and probably an LOC. A much more complicated and expensive install.

I did exactly what was suggested. I swapped out the door speakers myself and I was not happy with the result. I ended up paying a shop to add an under seat sub, the Alpine amp, and an LOC.

Think about it. If you just swap the speakers you are not adding any power, not adding any additional speakers, not increasing bass response, not changing the HU frequency output. You are just changing the end of a garbage in garbage out chain. Four 6.5 inch speakers and two tweeters can only do so much, no matter how good they are or how much they cost. Some more expensive speakers may "sound" better than the ones that I used but it will not sound as good as adding amps and a sub.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.