Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all... I'm looking to upgrade the stock stereo in my 2015 SE to something more fun. The stock version I have is soooo boring. (see attached pic)

I'm looking to add touchscreen, Apple CarPlay, Bluetooth, SiriusXM (built-in, not with external player). Also, I would like to keep the steering wheel controls. Don't need backup camera, but won't say no. If the stock CD player had to be removed, I would like a unit that plays CDs as well.

Has anyone with this same stock unit upgraded? If so, would you mind sharing details such has head unit model and any/all components that were needed for the install? Pics of the "after" would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Others have done this swap, don't know how useful the search function is on this site but that would be a good place to start if no one chimes in to your post.
You will have to replace the entire radio bezel/trim piece so you will lose your factory CD player in the process.
Good luck with your stereo swap.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
bestbuy has a deal on pioneer avh-4201nex installed for 499. there will also be charges for stuff like wiring harness, swc interface, faceplate, and whatever. dunno about tt&l. i just installed an 8200nex in our elantra, 525+125 harness/swc+25 faceplate. excellent upgrade, but not quite plug and play.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
don't know how useful the search function is...
Good luck with your stereo swap.

Thanks for the reply Grady. Yes, I started with search, and found many threads, but, from what I could tell they were upgrading the 5" to 7 or 8". Couldn't find one that was upgrading the smaller radio like mine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Curious... wouldn't the simplest upgrade be to install an OEM 5" radio? I would assume this would be plug & play, while being able to keep the same dash cover. And, steering controls would be kept as well???

Like this one on eBay... https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-2016-2017-Hyundai-Sonata-CD-MP3-XM-Satellite-Player-Radio-96180-C20004X-OEM/253174082528?fits=Year%3A2015%7CMake%3AHyundai%7CModel%3ASonata&epid=1652018377&hash=item3af259ebe0:g:KLoAAOSwOudZyRzW&autorefresh=true

EDIT: Can anyone confirm AppleCar Play is available on the 5" model listed above?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Currently using a Pioneer NEX-8201 radio, which has all the bells, and whistles that would need. As far as speakers go, I am using different speakers for each location due to this being a competitive SQ car. Everything is powered with two Focal 6.900 amps, that have door speakers bridged in order to get more power in the front door speakers. I am happy with the current set up I have, which I haven't had any problems with.

Feel free to ask me anything regarding this setup, willing to share any tips I may have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I replaced the same stereo with a Pioneer 2300nex ,which has CD/DVD player and ability to add backup camera. Dash kit is a Metra DP-7363B, used Metra Axxess ASWC-1 to retain all steering wheel controls, added a Alpine KTP-445U 4-channel Power Pack Amplifier,which was installed behind the dash, added a subwoofer and replaced factory speakers.

Happy to help if you have any questions

Attachments

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Eagles, that looks like the same thing OP wants to do.
Same trim level to start with and giving them all the features they want.

Nice and clean install.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I replaced the same stereo with a Pioneer 2300nex ,which has CD/DVD player and ability to add backup camera. Dash kit is a Metra DP-7363B, used Metra Axxess ASWC-1 to retain all steering wheel controls, added a Alpine KTP-445U 4-channel Power Pack Amplifier,which was installed behind the dash, added a subwoofer and replaced factory speakers.

Happy to help if you have any questions

I knew someone out there had to have done this upgrade. I'll look over the details you listed and get back to you. Just to confirm... you lost zero steering wheel controls when it comes to the radio/phone/siri?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I knew someone out there had to have done this upgrade. I'll look over the details you listed and get back to you. Just to confirm... you lost zero steering wheel controls when it comes to the radio/phone/siri?

It looks like he mentioned that using an ASWC-1 allowed him to retain all steering wheel functions.
This install looks to be the one you were looking for to model yours after.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes that's correct. My biggest concern was losing the push to speak ability but it still functions with android auto and apple car play.

Just a heads up on two things. Factory microphone no longer works for me, installed the one that came with the new head unit at the top near my headliner, no issues with it. I lost the ability to use the factory USB and auxiliary ports. Good news, was very easy to run a new auxiliary and USB cable into the cubbie.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes that's correct. My biggest concern was losing the push to speak ability but it still functions with android auto and apple car play.

Thanks for re-confirming that.

Just a heads up on two things. Factory microphone no longer works for me, installed the one that came with the new head unit at the top near my headliner, no issues with it.

Would you mind sharing a pic of the new mic, and where you installed it?

Not sure if you know this, but I would imagine the Hyundai mic is wired to the radio. Couldn't the factory mic wires be cut and modified to have a 3.5mm connector. Perhaps using the Pioneer mic wire?

I lost the ability to use the factory USB and auxiliary ports. Good news, was very easy to run a new auxiliary and USB cable into the cubbie.

I don't quite follow. Any chance to share a pic and specs of the new aux and usb you used?

I see the Pioneer has a rear USB input... same as the mic suggestion above, couldn't the wires from the factory usb be spliced into a spare usb cable and then plugged into the rear of the Pioneer?

Thanks for your time in helping me out. I truly appreciate it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You're welcome. Took some photos, these should help give you a better idea.

I forgot exactly what the installer told me for the microphone but, I've got a dash camera and a remote start antenna installed in the same area, and wasn't too concerned about the ascetics. I also had the option of mounting it near the gauges.

With the USB, they do sell a kit to use the existing factory harness but, was told they haven't had sucess using it as a data connection for Android Auto/Car Play. The reviews I've read for the kit seem to confirm that.

Also should mention if you decide to go with a Pioneer head unit, they disable a bunch of the options within the head unit unless the parking brake is engaged. They have a bypass kit which I would recommend installing to get the most from the unit.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A9AQPUU/ref=sxts_kp_bs_tr_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=4330520827143747311&pd_rd_wg=oPy8r&pf_rd_r=10AQ86QT53N13N3254HW&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-top-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B00A9AQPUU&pd_rd_w=MOazJ&pf_rd_i=pioneer+parking+brake+bypass&pd_rd_r=2c43e333-f906-4eca-8db6-f5767215b957&ie=UTF8&qid=1531323953&sr=1[/ame]

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
With the USB, they do sell a kit to use the existing factory harness but, was told they haven't had sucess using it as a data connection for Android Auto/Car Play. The reviews I've read for the kit seem to confirm that

Had a look at the reviews for this harness and I see what you are referring to. Regarding the parking brake bypass... I stumbled across that a few days after researching head units.

You've been a great help, and have provided good info to go off of. I'll do a bit more research on parts and hopefully get this going in the next few weeks. The last think I want to do is rush this a screw something up.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I did the whole install myself and was able to maintain all the factory stuff. The mic, and USB ports all are in the same location.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did the whole install myself and was able to maintain all the factory stuff. The mic, and USB ports all are in the same location.
Navish - I noticed you upgraded from a Limited with Ultimate package, which has a different radio setup. Could this be the reason for being able to keep the components?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Navish - I noticed you upgraded from a Limited with Ultimate package, which has a different radio setup. Could this be the reason for being able to keep the components?

It doesn't make a difference at all, the HU is the only function that changes. I just did an upgrade for a Sonata SE that maintained all the factory things.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts