Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a noise in the rear, driver-side 2nd row seat. While driving, the seat is just shaking like crazy laterally and making a very annoying rattle sound. When the seat back is folded down, the noise goes away. When someone sits in the seat the noise goes away. Talked to the dealer and said I would have them look at it on my first oil change. I've also noticed the folding armrest can tilt lower than the passenger-side seat. Not sure if this has anything to do with, maybe just needs realigned.
Check the pressure in your spare tire. The tire is mounted by pulling it up against the bottom of the car with a cable. If it deflates over time, then it gets loose and hanging from a cable can result in quite a vibration.

If this isn't it, how are your tires?

Your seats aren't the problem, they are the symptom telling you that something is causing a vibration.

--Jerry

·
Registered
122 Posts
Check the pressure in your spare tire. The tire is mounted by pulling it up against the bottom of the car with a cable. If it deflates over time, then it gets loose and hanging from a cable can result in quite a vibration.

If this isn't it, how are your tires?

Your seats aren't the problem, they are the symptom telling you that something is causing a vibration.

--Jerry
Actually Jerry, you are incorrect. I have spent a numbers years working with automobiles and was confident where the problem was. I mentioned that changing the seat position eliminated the noise. I had also performed other diagnostics (deductive reasoning for one). As it turns out, I was correct. There was a fastener inside the seat back that had broken loose. Hyundai replaced the seat and the problem was fixed. :wink:

·
Registered
11 Posts
My back seat rattles all the time, even on the smoothest of roads. Always from the 40 side of the 60/40. Dealer told me this past weekend that it couldn't be the seat and they've never heard of that issue. One of the mechanics told me that it's coming from a loose rear mudflap (it's not, in my case), and that he sees that issue all the time. I adjust the seat around quite a bit and it seems to alleviate the noise for a time, until it doesn't. Recently I've been leaving the cup holder in the middle down and that seems to be helping as well.

On a related note, the dealer also claimed to have never heard of the creaking dash issue and the missing padding from the crash pad area. However, they were very open and helpful regarding the rattle coming from the rear part of the roof, and were very willing to set up an appointment with me to have the whole pano roof replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2017 Sante Fe Sport Limited owner here. Purchased March 2017. My car started making this noise (or I started noticing it) about a month ago. It's a squeaky rattling noise coming from the rear seating area whenever going over uneven pavement, or a bump (sometimes even manhole covers cause it).

Found out pretty quickly it was coming from the '20' portion of my 40/20/40 seats. If I unlatch and lower the '20' middle seat section problem goes away. Problem also goes away if I leave it latched, but lower the entire '60' portion of my seat (so the 20/40 together on the driver side).

I'll speak about it to my dealer when I go in for my first oil change this week. Haven't really looked at why it makes that noise, other then just a dodgy latch or some way the '20' folding part rubs against the other 2 seats. I haven't tested leaving the '60' up and lowering the passenger-side '40' rear seat...

Luckily as I'm always transporting one of my bikes around in the trunk area I need one of the seats folded down to accommodate it. So I rarely hear the noise, but it shouldn't be doing that in such a new vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know his thread is a bit old but I purchased a 2017 Hyundai Sante Fe Ultimate AWD and noticed the rattle coming from the rear, I thought it was the seats or the seatbelts because I can see them wiggle but it wasn't the seats it was the rear spoiler, the left side was loose, I took it to a body shop and a bolt was missing. Rattle stops. Thank god

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve had a squeaking rattle occur on my 2015 when the staff at the car wash reclines one of the rear seat backs up against the cargo cover. It can make a really annoying noise and may not be apparent as the cause.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As an add on to the rear seat squeaking thread, when its cold out, yes it gets relatively cold in Las Vegas, I found that the rear seat armrest cup holders rattle a bit. I added some material to tighten them up, cause I hate noises, unexplained or not...
I hope this helps someone else...
VegasVinMan...

·
Registered
21 Posts
For those experiencing the rattling sound coming form the rear seats, try checking under the passenger side rear seat. There are cables under the seat that would rattle against the metal seat bottom. I solved my rattle problem by taping down the cables, I also applied some thin foam to prevent any of the cables from touching any part of the metal seat bottom.

My 2013 Santa Fe has so far been rattle free, and I drive in serene silence (seriously) even over bumps on the road.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts