Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has been experiencing a similar problem. I just picked up a new Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2015. It now has about 1,400km on it and I have recently noticed a very annoying high pitched chirping rattle that is coming from somewhere in the back. I hear it inside of the car with me so I don't think there are any issues with the safety of the vehicle itself.

I notice the noise every time I drive, and more-so when the road is uneven. It sounds like a tin or metal object rattling against something else. I am not sure if the noise is coming from the back seats or the back door panels... or maybe even the tailgate. I have been trying to search similar issues but I don't know what else to do. I have a service appointment scheduled at the dealership next week but it seems that issues like this don't really get resolved because the mechanics can't pinpoint where they are coming from... or they can only offer a temporary fix. I really do not want my back seats or door panels removed so I am trying to pinpoint where the noise is coming from myself before I take it in so I can explain it to the mechanic in more detail...

When I took someone for a ride and he sat in the back seat to try and listen to the noise, it seemed to die down in sound quite a bit so that leads me to believe the seats may be the issue. Is anyone having the same issue? Maybe this will end up being a recall at some point.

Thanks!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Welcome to Hyundai name and find that noise. I have had a similar noise and mine is a 2013. The sound appears to be coming from the rear arm rest especially the cup holder and you are right when someone is sitting on the back seat the noise is far less almost absent.

We have tried lowering the head rests, adjusting the seat backs. adjusting the reclining position the most luck we had was putting a towel around the arm rest the picture shown was when the back end was taken apart for another reason.

I have named my Santa Fe "Rice Crispy" as is snaps crackles and pops.

If you or your dealer find the cause please advise.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for sharing. Seems like I am not the only one with this problem but is is pretty annoying considering this is a "luxury" SUV. I am really hesitant to even go to the dealer because sometimes they just cause more problems when trying to fix whatever they "think" the problem might be. I have not tried driving with the seats pushed forward so I will try that today. Hopefully that will confirm that the problem is coming from the seats. It is just so strange I can't imagine what could possibly be making that sound from the arm rest area. Have you noticed that it is less at all if the armrest is down? Maybe I will try that as well...

I will keep you posted after my service appointment but I am not going to let them do any drastic repairs!

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T FWD (Machine Gray/Espresso Gray)
1,454 Posts
You want Hyundai to issue a major recall, but you don't want them to touch your car???? A reality of life is that most every new car had a problem, or three, to resolve. Join the club. Work with the dealer to fix it. You are not the first car owner to have a squeak, rattle, or pop. Ride in the back seat and the cargo area yourself and try to find it. Then you can point the dealer toward the problem. By the way, the Santa Fe is not a "luxury" vehicle, although it is luxurious to me.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would try and fold the seats down and drive the vehicle to check for the noise. I had this in an older vehicle and it was the seatback latch rubbing and making a noise on bumps. I also had the retractable rear cargo cover make a noise over bumps. I don't know if you have a cover. Does it make noise with the center armrest up or open (down). I have seen the same kind of noise coming from headrest when they are fully down and rubbing the seat frame support inside the seat. Try a few different test to see if you can pinpoint the area. That will help you explain it to the dealer. Also offer to ride with the service advisor or manager or even better the technician that is going to work on your car. When I was a tech many years ago I always wanted the customer to ride or drive with me to make sure we were on the same page.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I actually did not say anything about wanting Hyundai to issue a major recall. I simply asked others if they are having the same issue because when people come forward with issues, the company recognizes that the problems are affecting more than just a few vehicles, hence a recall is issued. I want the problem to be fixed but I also don't want my seats to be removed and reinstalled. In my opinion, whenever "major" work is done on a car, it comes back with other issues that weren't there before. Fix one thing damage another like the say. It is quite possible that this is a minor issue. I really don't know which is why I started this thread.

Anyway, this 2015 Santa Fe Sport happens to be categorized as "luxury" with leather seats, back up camera, tons of features and a panoramic roof. So it may not be a Range Rover but it is still a luxury vehicle within its class.

I have not tried driving with the back seats down, or the arm rest out. I have only tried moving the seats back and forth as this model is equipped with that capability in the back. I have also tried reclining the back seats. I will try moving the seats down today and I will also try taking the arm rest out to see if that makes any difference in the noise level.

Thanks again to everyone who is offering possible solutions!! Much appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue on my 2015 Santa Fe. I only hear it over 60mph. On the highway, between 60 and 80 it really gets loud. Could be the seal around the right rear door and air rush is making the chirping sound.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think it's the access cap on the roof rail. It wiggles lightly when you touch it and sounds just like what you guys are describing. I tried to pry on it some with no luck. If you figure out how to quiet it down post up

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have the same issue on my 2015 Santa Fe. I only hear it over 60mph. On the highway, between 60 and 80 it really gets loud. Could be the seal around the right rear door and air rush is making the chirping sound.

I have something similar that happens only at those speeds but it sounds more like an intermittent turn signal going off in the rear passenger side?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I actually did not say anything about wanting Hyundai to issue a major recall. I simply asked others if they are having the same issue because when people come forward with issues, the company recognizes that the problems are affecting more than just a few vehicles, hence a recall is issued. I want the problem to be fixed but I also don't want my seats to be removed and reinstalled. In my opinion, whenever "major" work is done on a car, it comes back with other issues that weren't there before. Fix one thing damage another like the say. It is quite possible that this is a minor issue. I really don't know which is why I started this thread.

Anyway, this 2015 Santa Fe Sport happens to be categorized as "luxury" with leather seats, back up camera, tons of features and a panoramic roof. So it may not be a Range Rover but it is still a luxury vehicle within its class.

I have not tried driving with the back seats down, or the arm rest out. I have only tried moving the seats back and forth as this model is equipped with that capability in the back. I have also tried reclining the back seats. I will try moving the seats down today and I will also try taking the arm rest out to see if that makes any difference in the noise level.

Thanks again to everyone who is offering possible solutions!! Much appreciated.
My 2013 Sante Fe Sport is doing the same and driving us crazy! Did you find a solution?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have my 2016 Santa Fe for about 2 weeks now, I've noticed a buzzing noise coming from left rear seat area, very minor noise. It happens when vehicle is taking off, noise will disappear while cruising. Not sure if this is the same noise that you heard.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I lived with the same "noise" for a period of time and finally, and I guess it was luck, as we don't use the back seat we moved it all the way up and tilted the seat towards the back. We also found that when someone was seating in the back seat there was no noise.We also put a piece of rubber between the arm rest and the seat which stopped a rattle from the arm rest.
This is the fix that worked for us.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I had some moderate rattle for a while which nobody in my family worried about... but it was driving me nuts... It was a really obvious one: a coin was in the 2nd bench rail, barely visible inside, and I guess that was not allowing a full lock. Removed the coin the rattle was gone.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I found the cause of noise for my vehicle, it was a fuel line under driver rear area that was touching the body. I just kinda pushed it away and fixed the noise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Although my santa fe is a 2011 model I will mention my very annoying rattle which after some time I found did not occur when top of car became wet .By pouring water in area of rattle at rear found wetting tail gate area stopped it .After trying a few things I unscrewed the rubber bump stop on left side by a small amount and hey presto rattle gone can car never been so smooth

·
Registered
1 Posts
Santa Fe rattle

I had this sound in the passenger side door when I purchased by 2013. They couldn't find anything wrong (of course). Now it is really bad but on the driver's side.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a noise in the rear, driver-side 2nd row seat. While driving, the seat is just shaking like crazy laterally and making a very annoying rattle sound. When the seat back is folded down, the noise goes away. When someone sits in the seat the noise goes away. Talked to the dealer and said I would have them look at it on my first oil change. I've also noticed the folding armrest can tilt lower than the passenger-side seat. Not sure if this has anything to do with, maybe just needs realigned.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Had a high pitched bump squeak in the back. Took me a while to find it so I'll post it here for others to benefit from. I finally popped off the rear hatch plastic (2 minutes) and everything looked fine. banged around with the heel of my hand until I finally found it. One of the spot welds near the tail light mounts had failed and the sheet metal rubbing was squeaking loudly at bumps. The spot weld looks like a round depression. It had failed at the edge of the circle so it wasn't obvious at all. 2 minute fix with a sheet metal screw. I used loctite to make sure it doesn't come out. Sorry I didn't take any pictures. --Jerry

PS I originally suspected the deck panels and Styrofoam underneath them. They seem to be squeak free.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts