Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just replaced the battery on the car for the first time. Tried to tighten the positive clamp and could not get it to the point where the clamp was tight.

There is a metal section of the clamp that slides to tighten the clamp, it is pushed by the 10mm bolt that has a domed section under it and is suppose to slide along the clamp and tighten it.

Well it seems the bolt only goes so far then the slide clamp stops. It looks like when the original battery was installed the bolt formed a indent it the sliding clamp and causes it to stop before fully engaged around the post. I put a copper shim around the post for now but would like to replace that section of clamp.

Is that section of clamp replaceable? Anyone have a part number for it? See attached picture.

Thanks

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0t limited
184 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Use battery post shim. I had exactly the same problem than you, and I installed a shim. 2 years later everything still tight.

This is the one I used. You may find some locally. (this is amazon canada)

Thank you for the link.

I put a copper shim around the post for now but would like to replace that section of clamp. It is not because the new battery post is too narrow as I can see that the clamp is not fully closed. There is a gap that shows the clamp has not fully pulled in.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just ordered this Kia battery clamp. I am hopping that the bolt and section that tightens the clamp will correct the issue with my battery clamp. Should get it in a few days.

Ordered from here:

Part number is 91980-3X010, price was $13 plus shipping.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is an update. I received the Kia Battery clamp and used the new clamp section and bolt but it still did not tighten up the clamp enough. I had removed the copper shim I added while using the old clamp.

I then added strips of thin copper to try to get more clamping force, see attached picture but I am still not happy with the clamping force. The clamp is snug, but I can still move it if I try by hand.

I might try looking for a replacement clamp, one that uses a more secure clamp style.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I forgot to mention I purchased shims from Napa, but I could not get the clamp all the way down with the shim in place.

Napa part number is 740255

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I'm always amazed that these car companies try and reinvent the wheel all the time. A battery terminal post from the 50's would work better than that design.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts