Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I noticed that half of my rear lights are not working on my 2015 Santa Fe: the left-side night lights, turning signal and license plate light are dead, whereas the right-side looks fine (at least for night light and license plate light). I switched the license plate lightbulbs, the left side still remains dead which would tend to indicate this is not a burnt lightbulb issue.

All the schematics I could find seem to be incomplete. However, as far as I can tell from my internet search there is a single fuse/relay for all the rear lamps which means that all the rear lights should be working or none at all.

Therefore, if someone could help me troubleshoot the problem or can point me to a detailed schematic, I would be grateful.

I should mention that I have a trailer hitch installed and that the wires seem to be running on the left side of the undercarriage.

Any help/comments is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,232 Posts
Do you have a trailer wiring converter kit installed? This would plug into the factory connectors on the left hand side at the rear underneath the vehicle. If so unplug it and see if the issue goes away.

I ask because I had a signal light issue and found out that the wiring converter had failed and was causing the flasher in the smart junction box to keep the signal on instead of pulse it.

Just an idea

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Adogg, thank you for the suggestion: after inspecting the trailer hitch assembly I found a short (my fuses kept getting burnt). As per your advice, I unplugged the assembly and the issue disappeared: problem solved (I'll revisit the shorted trailer hitch wiring on a warmer day).

Thanks!

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,232 Posts
Hi Adogg, thank you for the suggestion: after inspecting the trailer hitch assembly I found a short (my fuses kept getting burnt). As per your advice, I unplugged the assembly and the issue disappeared: problem solved (I'll revisit the shorted trailer hitch wiring on a warmer day).

Thanks!
Glad it was simple. I was wracking my brain and Mrs Dogg suggested this fix. Love that woman!

If you decide to replace that converter you should make sure to locate it up under the plastic panel. I lazily zip tied mine up to the rear bumper support and it got blasted with the wonderful salt spray during the winter and lasted for about 1 year. Now with it protected, I have had no issues for 4 years.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny you mention zip ties: that's exactly how mine was set-up. And many thanks to Mrs Dogg: she just saved me an expensive mechanic appointment!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts