Hyundai Forums banner

Which wheels do you prefer? (See pics)

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Sonata Limited w/tech *K&N Air filter *2015 Genesis G80 wheels
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Mine is the Sport / With Tech... but the title says "Sport / Limited", so I'm not sure how all that works, but it has the 215/55-R17 wheels. I thought the lower models had the 16"

I used the studded wheel spacers. The OEM wheels have space built into the back that allowed room for the vehicle studs. They set fully flush and there wasn't a need to trim them. I didn't really consider the spacer plates because they weren't a lot cheaper and I was worried about thread contact. Amazon showed these fit and they had 4.5 stars, so I went with them.

I also used Loctite BLUE when I torqued down the lug nuts on the spacers. My only concern was the Loctite. Last time I used the blue (removable) it was thicker. I kneaded the tube but it was still like water. Never had Loctite pour out like that and it was my only concern. I am going to put a couple hundred miles on her this weekend and took my tools just in case. I do plan on pulling the wheels again and checking torque when I get back to make sure they're still torqued.

That's great information, thanks for sharing. My information is from a quick Google search so doesn't mean it's all "accurate" or "inaccurate". never hurts to recheck your tires and to keep tools with you. Better to be prepared than stranded. I Need to double check my spare kit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The 245/45/18 tires rub on your Sonata because the Genesis wheel offset is a little different than the Sonata Limited or Sport 2.0T 18 wheels. This is why your wheels / tires stick out a little farther than the 18" OEM Sonata wheels. I've been running 245/45/18 tires on my stock Sport 18" wheels for more than 80,000 miles (2 sets of Sumitomo 245/45 HTR A/S P02) on my car and it is 1.1" lowered with no rubbing.

You are right dropping to 235/45/18 (avg diameter 26.3" ,stock tire size for Sonata with 18" wheels) will decrease the tire diameter by almost a 1/2" giving you 1/4" extra room on top. But the advantage of the 245/45/18 (avg 26.7" diameter) is that it corrects the small factory speedometer error on all of our LF Sonatas
Thanks for the post, turns out my rubbing was one of the plastic wheel-liner screws had come slightly loose allowing the front fender well protecter to droop a little. Being it's no longer rubbing I'll keep the 245s for now. I'm enjoying them greatly, the handling is greatly improved as well as braking.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Mine is the Sport / With Tech... but the title says "Sport / Limited", so I'm not sure how all that works, but it has the 215/55-R17 wheels. I thought the lower models had the 16"

I used the studded wheel spacers. The OEM wheels have space built into the back that allowed room for the vehicle studs. They set fully flush and there wasn't a need to trim them. I didn't really consider the spacer plates because they weren't a lot cheaper and I was worried about thread contact. Amazon showed these fit and they had 4.5 stars, so I went with them.

I also used Loctite BLUE when I torqued down the lug nuts on the spacers. My only concern was the Loctite. Last time I used the blue (removable) it was thicker. I kneaded the tube but it was still like water. Never had Loctite pour out like that and it was my only concern. I am going to put a couple hundred miles on her this weekend and took my tools just in case. I do plan on pulling the wheels again and checking torque when I get back to make sure they're still torqued.

Those are the type of "spacer" I recommend, the ones that are just disks can cause damage to the studs because of rotational force. There's been reports of sheared studs in accident's where there's severe braking involved. The ones with studs that mount to the rotor and then the new studs to the wheels reduce the chance of this happening making it highly improbable.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The Genesis wheels look good on the Sonata.
I would guess your handling improvements are from the much better Michelin tires and added width on the new wheels compared to the Nexen tires you had on the original wheels.
With the added width, your total sidewall height seems about the same because of the differing aspect ratio of the two sets of tires.
Good points, I do like the Michelin but have never had great luck with them. I may go with BFgoodrich or Cooper tires not sure yet. I saw some Achilles tires but not to sure about them, I like the look of them but they may be to agressive. The price is good though compared to the other options.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,789 Posts
Hi, quick question. We're you able to get the TPMS to synchronize with your year/model? If so, how? I haven't been able to get them to with mine, thinking I'll need new tpms installed when I get new tires.
The Sonata may be different freq TPMS the Sonata is either 315 or 433 and the older genesis were 315. Even if you have the same freq sometimes they are programed differently. I dont know what year your gen wheels are from.

You could swap the ones out of your OE rims or they are reasonable priced on Ebay and Amazon. They will reset on their own after driving 10-20 minutes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The Sonata may be different freq TPMS the Sonata is either 315 or 433 and the older genesis were 315. Even if you have the same freq sometimes they are programed differently. I dont know what year your gen wheels are from.

You could swap the ones out of your OE rims or they are reasonable priced on Ebay and Amazon. They will reset on their own after driving 10-20 minutes.
Thanks for the response, according to the person I bought them from there off of a 2015 Genesis g80. I have a 2015 Sonata. Is this something I could do my self or do I need a tire shop to do it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Also would u

Also would disconnecting the battery from the car and letting it sit for a minute before reconnecting reset the car to search for them? I drove for about 50 miles before the TPMS light came on.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think the next set of tires might be these. I have yet to see any reviews that aren't praising them. They aren't sporty but the highway wet traction would be really nice to have.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,789 Posts
Thanks for the response, according to the person I bought them from there off of a 2015 Genesis g80. I have a 2015 Sonata. Is this something I could do my self or do I need a tire shop to do it?
You can break the bead on a car tire yyorself and then replace the TPS without removing the tire, just pushing the tire in to expose the TPMS (valve stem) but it would be a lot more work than I would do vs paying a local shop the $10-20 wheel to dismount the tire, replace the TP<S and mount and balance.

If the TPMS are the correct freq and programing you dont need to do anything but drive it and the car will sense them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
You can break the bead on a car tire yyorself and then replace the TPS without removing the tire, just pushing the tire in to expose the TPMS (valve stem) but it would be a lot more work than I would do vs paying a local shop the $10-20 wheel to dismount the tire, replace the TP<S and mount and balance.

If the TPMS are the correct freq and programing you dont need to do anything but drive it and the car will sense them.
Thanks for the reply, so much good knowledge. And now, I must make a decision lol ⬅🤷🏻➡

·
Registered
21 Posts
Are the g80 wheels staggered? Was looking at a set of genesis coupe wheels but the rears were wider than the front

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Are the g80 wheels staggered? Was looking at a set of genesis coupe wheels but the rears were wider than the front
Not that I can tell, I'll double check and get back with you soon.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,789 Posts
Post those pictures in the LF pictures thread at the top of this section so they are easy for others to find in the future.

That thread is not used enough

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Post those pictures in the LF pictures thread at the top of this section so they are easy for others to find in the future.

That thread is not used enough
Will do 👍🏼 didn't know it existed thanks, it's on there now.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts