Hyundai Forums banner

Which wheels do you prefer? (See pics)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Sonata Limited w/tech *K&N Air filter *2015 Genesis G80 wheels
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, I'm new to the community. Hello!

So, I've wanted to put Genesis G80 wheels on my Sonata for a while and I just finished doing it today. My car is a - 2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited. I was able to get a set of gently used wheels on offerup for a decent price, they are off of a 2015 Genesis G80. They are the 18 inch wheel, with 245/45R18 Michelin tires. They are about 5/8-3/4 inch taller than the stock Sonata wheels and they are 1.2 inches wider.

I would like to confirm that these do fit without scrubbing/rubbing. There is still full wheel rotation, clock to clock. As for fitment, they do have a slight poke out beyond the fenders, not much, just enough for me personally.

The ride quality - honestly, it's pretty great. Steering is sharper at all speeds and braking is overall more impressive. Speed bumps are softer instead of harsher, I expected the opposite.

I should have weighed the tires to compare but by hand feel the Genesis wheels definitely feel lighter, maybe even 5 pounds lighter.

If you guys have any questions please ask and Ill try to answer.

Thanks.
Zac
2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.4 - Tech Package

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,767 Posts
Looks good, there have been a few members that have done this without any problems. Only big difference is Genesis is a rear wheel drive car and the offset is slightly different from Sonata wheels.

Your increase in overall diameter of 5/8' taller is the same difference as for those of us that have changed from the 235/45/18 stock 2.0T tires to 245/45/18 tires on stock wheels. You will gain about 1/2" which on my 2017 corrected the speedometer error that it had with the stock 235/45/18 tires. The added tire size aldo helps slightly fill the wheel to fender gap.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, good to know 👍🏼

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MY GOD THAT LOOKS GOOD! How is the ride with the shorter sidewall?
Hey thanks clay282, the ride is very comfortable. I hit what I call a whoop-di-do yesterday, basically a double dip in pavement at speed yesterday that caused a brief moment of scrub but nothing major to worry about. The thing that impresses me is the handling improvement. Overall I love it and recommend it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey thanks clay282, the ride is very comfortable. I hit what I call a whoop-di-do yesterday, basically a double dip in pavement at speed yesterday that caused a brief moment of scrub but nothing major to worry about. The thing that impresses me is the handling improvement. Overall I love it and recommend it.
I just hunted for sets of those wheels and I'm not sure I would spend that much for OEM wheels... but you got me to thinking about spacers. The stance is EXCELLENT! The offset alone, fills out the wheel well and looks so much better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just hunted for sets of those wheels and I'm not sure I would spend that much for OEM wheels... but you got me to thinking about spacers. The stance is EXCELLENT! The offset alone, fills out the wheel well and looks so much better.
They are quite pricey even second hand, I happened to find them on offerup for way below what they are worth. The previous owner wanted them out of his garage so he could have more room for his vette. Keep an eye out and you could find a steal. I got the 4 wheels with half decent michelins and chrome lug nuts for a couple hundred dollars. I didn't realize what they were worth till after I bought them. I've got locking lug nuts on them for sure.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Those do look sharp. Nice upgrade. Any reason why this wouldn’t work for a 2015 SE?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those do look sharp. Nice upgrade. Any reason why this wouldn’t work for a 2015 SE?
Thanks, I don't think there'd be anything stopping it, a word of caution though the stock 245 45r18 tires off the Genesis do rub on rare occasions, mainly when hitting bigger bumps in the road. To fix this I'll probably replace the tires when needed with 235 45r18 to decrease the overall tire hight by a little bit. I've attached screenshots showing the difference between your stock tire and the Genesis tire. Have a great day.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
I picked up some 20mm spacers and they aren't some sweet Genesis wheels... but they do look MUCH better! The bottom 2 pics are stock.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine is the Sport / With Tech... but the title says "Sport / Limited", so I'm not sure how all that works, but it has the 215/55-R17 wheels. I thought the lower models had the 16"

I used the studded wheel spacers. The OEM wheels have space built into the back that allowed room for the vehicle studs. They set fully flush and there wasn't a need to trim them. I didn't really consider the spacer plates because they weren't a lot cheaper and I was worried about thread contact. Amazon showed these fit and they had 4.5 stars, so I went with them.

I also used Loctite BLUE when I torqued down the lug nuts on the spacers. My only concern was the Loctite. Last time I used the blue (removable) it was thicker. I kneaded the tube but it was still like water. Never had Loctite pour out like that and it was my only concern. I am going to put a couple hundred miles on her this weekend and took my tools just in case. I do plan on pulling the wheels again and checking torque when I get back to make sure they're still torqued.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,767 Posts
Thanks, I don't think there'd be anything stopping it, a word of caution though the stock 245 45r18 tires off the Genesis do rub on rare occasions, mainly when hitting bigger bumps in the road. To fix this I'll probably replace the tires when needed with 235 45r18 to decrease the overall tire hight by a little bit. I've attached screenshots showing the difference between your stock tire and the Genesis tire. Have a great day.
The 245/45/18 tires rub on your Sonata because the Genesis wheel offset is a little different than the Sonata Limited or Sport 2.0T 18 wheels. This is why your wheels / tires stick out a little farther than the 18" OEM Sonata wheels. I've been running 245/45/18 tires on my stock Sport 18" wheels for more than 80,000 miles (2 sets of Sumitomo 245/45 HTR A/S P02) on my car and it is 1.1" lowered with no rubbing.

You are right dropping to 235/45/18 (avg diameter 26.3" ,stock tire size for Sonata with 18" wheels) will decrease the tire diameter by almost a 1/2" giving you 1/4" extra room on top. But the advantage of the 245/45/18 (avg 26.7" diameter) is that it corrects the small factory speedometer error on all of our LF Sonatas

·
Registered
18 Posts
Lets talk about this speedometer error. I wasn't aware there was any error. Is it + or - ? The police in Arkansas don't seem to care (knock on wood) about anything 10mph or under. Our highway speed is 75 so that means you can run 85 without getting popped. Is 85 actually 85mph? I'm all nervous now LOL!

Speaking of the Genesis offset. If you hunt Ebay for Sonata and Genesis wheels and find pictures of the BACK of the wheel, the offset is stamped on the back... the offset difference between the 2 cars is 50mm / 35mm. So technically the 20mm spacers are 5mm too big for the Sonata stock wheels.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,767 Posts
The speedo error is minor but always showed up on my GPS vs speedo. The speedo reads slightly faster than you are going.
On my 2017 Sport 2.0T on the stock 235/45/18 ( tires were about 26.3" diameter, 790 rev per mile) my speedo was about 3-4 miles per hr over so when I changed to 245/45/18 (tires are about 26.7", 783 rev per mile) it made the correction to almost spot on with my GPS

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
The Genesis wheels look good on the Sonata.
I would guess your handling improvements are from the much better Michelin tires and added width on the new wheels compared to the Nexen tires you had on the original wheels.
With the added width, your total sidewall height seems about the same because of the differing aspect ratio of the two sets of tires.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts