Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there are any after market front struts available for replacement? I have looked around and havn't found anything.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
KYB and Monroe,both make struts, for our cars. I have KYB shocks in the back and Monroe OE Spectrum, on the front.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I put a set of the KYB struts up front at around 95,000 miles. I didn't realize how worn the originals were until I got the new ones in...night and day difference and it also made the steering less light and darty on-center.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Can you post any links to them? When i go on the Monroe site and enter the 2015 elantra nothing comes up. Same with KYB ?

I ordered the KYB for the back just fine, but the front giving me struggles!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Go with the OEM sport versions (17 inch rimmed package has different valving then 16 inch version) and buy them from a Hyundai discount online seller. That's all there is for the fronts from what I have seen.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Can you post any links to them? When i go on the Monroe site and enter the 2015 elantra nothing comes up. Same with KYB ?

I ordered the KYB for the back just fine, but the front giving me struggles!
Yeah they're a little slow in updating for later model years but as far as I know, the front is the same on all Elantras from 11 to 16 so these should work. They're what I'm currently using on my '12.

Front Left KYB Strut

Front Right KYB Strut

·
Registered
176 Posts
The graph with the above link says it all. KYB is as good as OE, not better. It is really too bad Koni doesn't support the brand. For the first time in over 30 years my daily driver doesn't have Koni shocks. You can cut the front strut apart and install a Koni cartridge, but nothing for the rear. Time for a petition.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The graph with the above link says it all. KYB is as good as OE, not better. It is really too bad Koni doesn't support the brand. For the first time in over 30 years my daily driver doesn't have Koni shocks. You can cut the front strut apart and install a Koni cartridge, but nothing for the rear. Time for a petition.
Hi Tim, what would you recommend for 2015 elantra?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I can't recommend anything which is frustrating. I'm thinking of trying Konis on front but that requires cutting up an old strut. I should see if someone that has replaced their have the old ones sitting around. The Konis are $200 or so a piece so it's a pricey gamble. The rears are unknown. I looked at the Godspeed coil overs and they seem cost-effective but I don't know about the ride/handling of the shocks and some version have stiffer springs. I'm not interested in lowering the car. I like to get good shocks and use the stock springs. The springs were probably designed with a Cray super computer to balance handling and ride so improving control keeps the nice ride while eliminating any loss of control. I've got to wait until my foot heals completely before I take on the job and I have the same problem with my wife's Sonata.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Hi Tim, what would you recommend for 2015 elantra?
Anyone try the rear Hyundai shock from a '14-'17 Elantra GT with 17" wheels? Hyundai 55300-A5800

(Hint; same shock size, much different valve)

The fronts I am not able to verify, but the GT does use different strut assemblies for the "standard" and "sport" suspension.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts