Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I'm still heavily using the search function as well.

I just bought a 2015 Elantra Limited, and the headlights (daylamp, low and probably high beam, and fogs) are kind of an ugly yellow color compared to the led-looking part of the headlight (cool white illuminated bar that wraps around).

I'm a total noob here trying to make this look better.

I guess what I want to do is replace the yellow lights with lights that are a much cooler white color so that they don't clash with the led-looking part of it.

Which bulbs types should I be looking to purchase and are there tutorials on how to change them online? I'm using my google-fu to get what information I can, and any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I went with this style LED

I've updated the fogs to match now, the first ones I bought (different style) were too blue for me.

Good beam pattern with the projectors and plug and play.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I tried the same LED's as solman98 in my aftermarket headlight projectors and had seemingly very different results.. the LED output was junk and was much dimmer than the stock halogen headlights.

I was excited to try them but they failed me... so my suggestion is to go with an HID kit. 5500K color.

·
Retired Staff
11,817 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Standard headlight bulbs are at a color temperature around 3000K so they have a yellowish look. If you want a whiter look find bulbs with a higher color temperature around 4000K+ like Silverstar ZXE, Philips Crystalvision Ultra, PIAA Extreme White. Be careful though because if you go too high you will end up with blue tinted bulbs. There are also various options of LED and HID you can use.

The bulb sizes are all in the back pages of your manual in the maintenance sections, chapter 7 or 8. If your lights are anything like my 2011 the drivers side assembly must be removed to change bulbs, its 3 bolts. I can change passenger side with headlight assembly in place.

Also, on the forum menu please click Tools then click UserCP and complete your forum profile with vehicle info and location. Elantra is sold worldwide and configurations can vary based on year and location.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I tried the same LED's as solman98 in my aftermarket headlight projectors and had seemingly very different results.. the LED output was junk and was much dimmer than the stock halogen headlights.

I was excited to try them but they failed me... so my suggestion is to go with an HID kit. 5500K color.

I've seem many complaints about aftermarket projectors, not just for Hyundai's either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the helpful replies, everyone. I'll grab some higher color temperature bulbs and knock this out.

Also, on the forum menu please click Tools then click UserCP and complete your forum profile with vehicle info and location.
Done and done, thank you!

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
You probably already purchased some bulbs but they Kensun 55w HID kit in 6000k looks perfect IMO. Just a HINT of blue if that. Only downside is the need for resistors in addition to the ballast like all HID kits.

·
Registered
197 Posts
After trying all LED kit on market (around 4), I switched back to HID Opt 7 Canbus w 5000k (35W)...
Again, LED can be for Reflector but Projector I think HID is still the best.
The LED is bright BUT they are not designed to replace the halogen since the design is different and beam patten...
After switching back the HID, I was impressed...100% better even though both LED kit and HID kit are bright.
The LED kit I bought rating 12k lumen when the HID was rated at 4100 lumen...but I think LED was overated.

So...I recommend that HID for low beam...everything you can go for LED w instant bright up...
LED won't improve much from Halogen since the Arc is different and the Intensity is different also...
Go for OPT7 Canbus 5000k...You will love it...You may need Capacitor...
I don't use Relay or Resistor in my case...everything works perfectly....HID continously bright up in 15s....
I was really impressed by OPT7...the kit is $80 but I think it is worth the quality came with.
I still keep 12k lumen LED for Fog light and 5k lumen for DRL since they work great.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am going to install SilverStar® zXe White all around the front. I will buy then when I'm in the States in 2 weeks time. May go with LED later especially if an LED designed for projectors comes out on the market.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Now to the experts, how do you adjust the projectors? I have an idea but not exactly sure where those two screws are supposed to be.

·
Registered
836 Posts

Exactly my experience as well.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I went full LED on mine but I wish I went with HID if only the lightspan wasnt the main issue :( Have blue LED fogs now just dont have a pic of it. The LEDs are bit dimmer than HID but definitely better than the stock halogen bulbs. Im using a 3300lm for my LED

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went full LED on mine but I wish I went with HID if only the lightspan wasnt the main issue :( Have blue LED fogs now just dont have a pic of it. The LEDs are bit dimmer than HID but definitely better than the stock halogen bulbs. Im using a 3300lm for my LED
I was reading a thread a couple of days ago about how HID lights take away DRLs? Is this true? If I install HID will I lose my DRLs?

Also, what are reasonable lifespans for HID kits?

·
Registered
783 Posts
I was reading a thread a couple of days ago about how HID lights take away DRLs? Is this true? If I install HID will I lose my DRLs?

Also, what are reasonable lifespans for HID kits?
Not unless the purpose is highbeam/drl. Then you would have to go bi-xenon.

I had my cheap Kensun kit bulbs go strong for a year. I had to replace them for a different type last October when I upgraded to projectors and no issues so far. (We're talking about $20 bulb pair).

·
Registered
197 Posts
For high beam, You nee instant bright up...so HID is not a good choice...Halogen or LED will do better job since HID need to be warm up.
Life span of HID is significant less than LED but still so much better than Halogen...You can change the bulb maybe every 2-3 years, Ballast should last longer....

·
Registered
197 Posts
Now to the experts, how do you adjust the projectors? I have an idea but not exactly sure where those two screws are supposed to be.
You need a Phillip tool driver to turn the headlight clockwise.
After opening the hood, you will see the long tube as in the pic I attached...
Turn clockwise as you want, I remembered I got around 6-7 turns.

Attachments

·
Registered
783 Posts
You need a Phillip tool driver to turn the headlight clockwise.
After opening the hood, you will see the long tube as in the pic I attached...
Turn clockwise as you want, I remembered I got around 6-7 turns.
Any idea on further adjustment? I think i have it way off.I'm trying to avoid this

Sent from my GT-I9060C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm not sure the cause. However, I recommend that you should check the bulb. Does it tightly enough in tact in the housing? Because if the bulb position is not proper, it may cause uneven light distribution.
I check my HID bulb last time a little loose.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Solman,

I wanted to change to LED for my project headlight as well, however the heatsink will block the dust cap. How did you handle the dustcap part?

Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you have an Elantra originally equipped with hb3 low beams, then you can always upgrade the bulb to HIR1. I did and love them.

Still waiting on my led fog lights to come. The HIR1's are whiter not white; but I think they look great and sure do light up the road.

It's a simple mod. Even easier than the h9 mod because the tab you have to cut is plastic.

On the adjustment, get your head back there, flashlight in hand and double check that all three tabs are seated properly.

As to adjusting them otherwise, I'm not a fan of using a phillips screwdriver as I have stripped the darn nylon thing in the past. To make the adjustment now I made a tool. There is a large nylon nut on the back of the headlight assembly. Its the white thing amidst all the black abs plastic. I sprayed a little cooking spray on a rag and wiped it on and in that nut. Then I got some jb weld putty and mashed it all up then pressed it in the hole (with enough remaining outside the hole) and let it set.

came back after a while and pulled out my new headlight adjustment tool:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts