Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2015 Elantra and it has just shy of 56k miles on it. My engine seized on February 25 and have been without a car since then. Hyundai Corp has denied to cover the engine replacement under warranty because I used an aftermarket oil filter and I failed to keep oil in the car was the official denial reason. I have records of every oil change and pictures from the tow truck driver of the oil pouring out of the car on the rd where it just died out of the blue. I have an arbitration case with the BBB on April 16 in hopes of getting Hyundai to pay for this under warranty. I have spent countless hrs researching problems similar to mine online I have been told I will be without my car another two months since the engine is on backorder and there are none to ship me. I’m looking for other people who have the same problem and more evidence to take to my arbitration to prove that the Hyundai Elantra engine should be recalled.

·
Registered
403 Posts
So did they locate where the oil was pouring out? If you get your oil changed at a quick lube and they saw if coming out of the drain plug, it's not Hyundai's fault if they screwed up.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealer accused of us of just getting the oil change and the filter immediately failing. I had the oil changed a tad less than 5 months prior with no oil leaking whatsoever. I have the receipt and window sticker to prove I’m telling the truth. The car had started a minor knocking just prior to the engine seizing. We have a documented history of taking to the dealer three times prior for rough and problematic starting and idling issues. They couldn’t find anything wrong

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
A key appears to be where was the oil leaking from. The drain plug or the oil filter would be a sure warranty killer for me. Leaking from another source would be catastrophic engine failure of some sort. Someone needs to look at this engine and determine cause of death. If the oil and filter were done at a none dealer (regardless of how long ago it was done) and that is determined to be the cause of death you are out of luck on the warranty claim.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One person says it’s because we used an aftermarket oil filter, the other says it was a displaced oil filter and the oil change had to have been just done. The oil was changed just shy of 5 months prior to the engine seizing. With the long standing history of Hyundai’s engjne problems with this particular engine I truly believe because we had an aftermarket filter they denied the claim. The engine was torn down and pics sent to corp. Corps official reason for denial is customer failed to keep oil in engine.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
You'll be a bit as far as engine,, took good month to get 1 (short block),, and a bit more for the rest we have received.. I think we sitting on 2 re-man shorts waiting for somebody in shop to assemble (likely be me,, Dumb wont do, dumber is a hack, part time school kid is a hack) so that leave me.. I can do UD/MD Elantra in my sleep,, took youngster #2 like 2 week to assemble a 1.8,, and he lost a bunch of parts/bolts (hardware bin bolts at transmission to engine, and same for intake to head,, I mean you took them out, why cant you put them back in ??)

I found school kid tossed bracket for intake and purge mounting at head in trash can today.. I went snooping the motor after he left.. he didnt even snap the knock or oil pressure pigtails in place, bracket for intake not there (trash can along with purge bracket,, bolt missing from A/C - alternator mount (I stuck his long 1/4 drive extension in the hole for him to find)

·
Registered
785 Posts
A lot of people here have used after market oil filters without their engine failing. It can cause the valves to tick if the aftermarket filter is so bad, but Hyundai would have realized that when you came in for service earlier. There's no way that filter alone caused this, especially if it was running fine for 5 months earlier. Good luck with this, it sounds like Hyundai is just trying to get out of paying back some $$$. Get an independent shop to evaluate the pictures if you can. A manufacturer will always attempt to find ways to deny fault.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The service mgr got all cocky with my husband asking who did your oil change because the filter wasn’t put on right ? My husband replied it was done just shy of five months ago and has never leaked until yesterday when oil just poured out all over the rd. My husband went to dealer to take pics of the filter and it displaced from the engine block a tad. He also asked to have possession of the filter and the dealer refused saying they would need it since it was the warranty work denied and we were fighting it with Corp. So my husband tells the service mgr, our advisor and the shop foreman under no circumstances does this filter get thrown out because we want it. After Corp finally denied the claim ,we once again asked for the filter to keep. We went back to the dealer to find them hemming and hawing and they finally had to admit they took the filter off the block and trashed it. I have talked to a local trusted mechanic and he said that if I had this filter on for five months with no issues that it did not cause the engine to seize that it was something internally wrong with the engine. Under the law Hyundai has to prove with no doubt the filter caused the engine failure.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Sounds like the filter failed, in some way. You've made it sound like the oil was coming out of the filter, but haven't actually admitted it. Hyundai will not take responsibility for it, if it was done at an outside shop. Looks like you may be on you're own. Sorry.
I'd go after the shop that did the oil change.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
As far as your filter.. it is your filter, attached to your car,, it yours free to take if you want.. them throwing away after your request, could that now possibly be theft of your material ?? Wild thinking I suppose ??

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have no clue where the oil was leaking from. The tow truck driver lifted the front of the car and oil was pouring out from underneath on the pavement. The amount of oil that’s all over community , I highly doubt it was still leaking when it arrived at Hyundai. We were never told anything from our dealer. Just that you used a aftermarket filter and the engine seized.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If whole lot engine oil was coming out from the oil filter and o-ring, the oil filter was burst from high pressure. The oil leak should be slower and barely killed the engine except oil pressure is too low. You should see the oil pressure light on. Continue driving with that light on is killing your engine.

One time my fav mechanic was busy so I took my car to another shop for an oil change then I had bad experience about that when my engine was almost killed by that negligent mechanic. 4k miles after an oil change, I pushed the engine up to 5k rpm then oil filter burst and the oil pressure light on. I was lucky enough to stop in time before all the oil is gone.

I had tow truck tow to my fav mechanic for inspection and he said the other shop was installing oil filter wrong way so that the seal was slipping and almost all the oil is out. I never had that problem before.

Therefore, I believe you should go after the one who changed your oil, aftermarket oil filter wouldn't be the cause of engine failure.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
You DO NOT have to use their oil filter... that law was introduced in the 80s. Unless they provide it, they can only say an equal type.

If this dealer removed and destroyed evidence... Small Claims Court. They should have NEVER touched the car that much if they were going to deny warranty coverage.
Small Claims Court... You pay some $10 to server the DEALER that touched your car. NO LAWYERS get involved and depending on the state you are in you can sue up to $8K in damages. This dealer now has to prove in court the missing filter was the problem. If you blow a rod due to poor workmanship, it blows out the side of the engine and oil everywhere.

What actually failed, you need a mechanic to determine what failed, and not them.

As I tell anyone, buy the stupid OEM filters for $4 and give them to the oil change people. I've been doing that for years, and they deduct $3 off the oil change.
You cannot go after the oil filter people as the dealer destroyed evidence, really.. I can't believe any dealer is that stupid.. unless they have something to hide.

Oh yes, photos, photos, photos. 5 months and the filter gives.... ummmm.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’m finding out with many hrs of research that they are trying to get nhtsa to do a recall on this engine due to oil pressure /aftermarket filter problem. I now have in my possession the files and documents showing this has happened to many others. If I had known about the aftermarket oil filter issue with Hyundai I obviously never would have used one. Our BBB arbitration is April 16 if we lose I’m taking them to small claims court.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I refuse to believe your problem was solely caused by using an aftermarket filter. Yes maybe the filter was defective, but that can happen even with a factory filter. A quality aftermarket filter will not damage your engine.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I refuse to believe your problem was solely caused by using an aftermarket filter. Yes maybe the filter was defective, but that can happen even with a factory filter. A quality aftermarket filter will not damage your engine.
Problem is, most of the oil change shops around here use the very cheapest oil filter they can find, and often one that is smaller than oem, but will screw on and have the gasket hit most of the filter seat.

Saw a 2.0L GDI that came in with a Pennzoil branded filter that was smaller in diameter than the Hyundai OEM filter, and had the gasket right out at the edge of the can and contacting only the inner 2/3's of the mating seat.

Engine was seized.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Problem is, most of the oil change shops around here use the very cheapest oil filter they can find, and often one that is smaller than oem, but will screw on and have the gasket hit most of the filter seat.

Saw a 2.0L GDI that came in with a Pennzoil branded filter that was smaller in diameter than the Hyundai OEM filter, and had the gasket right out at the edge of the can and contacting only the inner 2/3's of the mating seat.

Engine was seized.
Agreed. That's why I specified "quality" filter, and said, earlier that the OP should go after the shop that did the oil change.
My biggest issue is that the OP believes that hyundai engines will self destruct if a Hyundai filter, is not installed.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts