Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone broke into my car with a screwdriver. The fob still locks and unlocks the door. I've viewed some videos on how to open the door panel for various years (not 2015) so this may be something I can do myself. I can't find anything on the actual lock replacement. Are there any special tools required? Tips or links to this lock replacement would be helpful. The dealer wants $200 for the cylinder. Where else can I get it for less? Thanks.

·
Registered
13,324 Posts
I've viewed some videos on how to open the door panel for various years (not 2015) so this may be something I can do myself.
I'm not familiar with the Elantra because it isn't sold here in the UK, but generally you don't need to remove the door panel to change the key barrel on car these days. I'd be surprised if the Elantra is any different. This is a simple DIY job that shouldn't take much more than 15mins.

Open the door and take a look at the rear edge of the open door. Level with the key barrel you should see a rubber grommet. Pop that off an there is a screw or small bolt behind it. Put the key in the lock and turn it slightly, just enough that you can't pull the key back out. Now, while pulling the key outwards start to loosen that screw/bolt. Eventually the screw should be out far enough to allow the key & barrel to pull right out of the door. On the cars I'm familiar with (VW group car) that screw/bolt doesn't need to come all the way out. If it does come all the way out be careful not to let it drop inside the door or you will have to remove the trim to retrieve it.

niagara said:
Are there any special tools required?
Just a screwdriver or socket that fits the screw or bolt. On VW cars it's a T20 torx screw. I've never done the job on a Hyundai, but my guess is it will also be a T20 or maybe an 8 or 10mm bolt.

niagara said:
The dealer wants $200 for the cylinder. Where else can I get it for less?
Your local scrap/junk yard, if you can find an Elantra in there complete with keys. Or ebay perhaps.
For $200 the dealer must be ordering a barrel specifically made to suit your original key. A cheaper option would be to order a barrel and key, which is just an off the shelf barrel with a matching key. That just means you'll have to carry two keys for your car, one to open the door and one to start the engine...just like you would if you bought a barrel and key from the junk yard or ebay. If your patient you could strip down your original lock and take a note of how the tumbler are positioned then fit them into the junk yard lock which would allow your original key to fit the replacement lock. That's quite a fiddly job though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very helpful. I believe I can handle this repair. I ordered the lock from an online source called kpartsmall and no evidence they will ship me a lock. I've been waiting two weeks with no notification to indicate it is being processed or they have the part of if it will ever ship.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I noticed you've tried to get a part from kpartsmall and they hadnt responded to you. I was looking at their refurbished CV Joints for my 2007 Elantra and sent them a few questions via email and havent got a response yet either. Have you heard from them yet?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, I noticed you've tried to get a part from kpartsmall and they hadnt responded to you. I was looking at their refurbished CV Joints for my 2007 Elantra and sent them a few questions via email and havent got a response yet either. Have you heard from them yet?

Thanks
When I placed the order there were emails first couple of days indicating they accepted it and charged me then nothing. I'm at ~17 days now with no response to about 4 emails asking for a status and delivery update. I've never experienced anything like it with any other online seller.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts