Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been dealing with a minor, but irritating, problem for the last year or so and it has taken on a life of its own as I've become frustrated with the inability of dealerships and Hyundai corporate to find a solution.

I have a 2015 Sonata Eco and was surprised to find that it has the reverse mirror assist feature, like my old Genesis. This feature tips the side view mirrors down when the car is put in reverse. The car did this for the first few months--multiple times a day, every day--then suddenly stopped doing it. As a note, yes, I know about the position of the mirror switch to turn it on or off--it has no effect in this case. I took it to a dealer and, after they couldn't figure out how to make it work, told me the car didn't have that feature. I showed them the manual, listing the feature. They said the manual is printed for multiple trim levels and that isn't evidence of it having the feature. I pointed out that things like sunroof, leather seats, seat heaters all say "if equipped" in parenthesis next to the feature if it is optional, but standard features do not. They didn't have a response to this.

I took it to another dealership and their master tech said the same thing. I got frustrated and called Hyundai. They sent me an email indicating that my car does have that feature. They ultimately told me to take it to a dealership to open a tech line ticket if they couldn't figure it out. This frustrated me because I knew where this was headed. That dealership also said the car wasn't capable of having that feature. They said the car must be equipped with a seat memory module and if it doesn't have that, there's no way it could work. Case closed from their perspective.

Now, I am currently on my fifth Hyundai. I had a Genesis, which had this feature, so I know it well. I had multiple drivers comment on the mirrors moving when they shifted into park as well as several passengers, point being that this is not something I imagined, as the dealerships are implying (except for one that actually came out and said I had imagined it). I see two paths for me here: 1) my hope that somebody, somewhere knows how to get this feature back is true and I can relay this back to the master techs or 2) my confidence in the brand will take a big hit and I will have to decide if I want to continue with Hyundai. At first glance, that may seem crazy that a mirror tipping down would break my brand loyalty, but it really becomes a confidence issue. If they (master techs and Hyundai Engineering) can't even figure out how to get a simple feature to work again, how can I trust them on the big issues, like an engine or transmission? On top of that, chalking it up to my "vivid imagination" is insulting and frustrating.

Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
Maybe pull a fuse, and then reseat it? Idk it's worth a shot... Now u just gotta find out which controls what

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
536 Posts
This is interesting. I have the same car as you, and I have the tech package. Not sure if you have that. So mine should do this. I also read that in the manual after i bought it. I don't recall my mirrors doing it, but i'm always looking at the rear view camera so maybe I haven't noticed the side mirrors. I'm going to have to double check mine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, that's key information I forgot to include. Yes, I do have the tech package. I also should have mentioned that one dealership service manager said he thought it was a Bluelink telematics update that rolled back a 90-day feature demo. Mind you, this is the same dealership that said the car couldn't possibly have done it without the memory modules. Can't really have it both ways. Either way, the people at Hyundai Bluelink described the theory of them rolling it back with an over-the-air update as laughable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My car, sonata 2015 limited with ultimate package is tilting The mirrors on reverse, however there's no setting for control it

·
Registered
291 Posts
I had 2015 Sonata limited and was told that in order to have mirrors rotate down I had to have GPS system with 7" screen so it didn't happen. It's not Bluelink related.
My 2017 Sonata with both packages does have this future. So I guess you were lucky for few months.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts