Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I just picked up my car today after a 60 day visit to the dealer. Yes, 60 days. The 1.6t engine was knocking under load, sounded like a rock hit metal when it happened. Verified with dealer and then the work began...

They eventually removed the head to be sent out for a rebuild, replaced spark plugs, replaced high pressure fuel pump on top of engine, and replaced CVVT assembly. No knock on the way home thankfully! If your Hyundai/Kia knocks, take it seriously! I have attached a photo of what mine looked like at 50k miles.

On another note, the CV axles also had to be replaced due to defective inner joints. My symptom was pulsing during acceleration that felt like tire balance issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Carbon build up is the worst. There a lot of folks on here pretending like it isn’t a real thing. Glad you got her back.

·
Registered
232 Posts
They kept your vehicle for 60 days? Hope they provided a loaner or something.

Just curious, were those 50K miles mainly city or highway driving? Do you live in extreme climate (lots of cold engine starts)? Are you the original owner and followed the required oil change intervals?

Hello all,

I just picked up my car today after a 60 day visit to the dealer. Yes, 60 days. The 1.6t engine was knocking under load, sounded like a rock hit metal when it happened. Verified with dealer and then the work began...

They eventually removed the head to be sent out for a rebuild, replaced spark plugs, replaced high pressure fuel pump on top of engine, and replaced CVVT assembly. No knock on the way home thankfully! If your Hyundai/Kia knocks, take it seriously! I have attached a photo of what mine looked like at 50k miles.

On another note, the CV axles also had to be replaced due to defective inner joints. My symptom was pulsing during acceleration that felt like tire balance issue.

·
Registered
315 Posts
so, the RUMORS that gdi carbon buildup has been solved are still just rumors?
On direct injection, there is no way to stop carbon buildup. You can slow it down, but no matter what those valves will need to be cleaned. Walnut blasting is the best method. My Hyundai dealer does not offer it. For me, carbon cleaning is regular maintenance. I do it every 40k. I’ll probably have VW/Audi dealer walnut blast my Hyundai’s.

I thought the Eco has the DCT, not the CVT. Advise.
7 speed dual clutch is correct.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Toyota and Lexus have models with the direct injection and small port injected behind the valve. They say they have a algorithm that alters spray intensity for intense cleaning of the valve and port. I hope Hyundai starts to use this for of injection in the future because I want to buy a new Hyundai, but wont, if it is just the problematic direct injected version.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Hmm, our 2015 Sport 2.4L has started to have some valve chatter that I am going to ask the dealer about when I take it in for the parking brake recall.
Only gets Costco or Mobil gas, both Top Tier fuels.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
On direct injection, there is no way to stop carbon buildup. You can slow it down, but no matter what those valves will need to be cleaned. Walnut blasting is the best method. My Hyundai dealer does not offer it. For me, carbon cleaning is regular maintenance. I do it every 40k. I’ll probably have VW/Audi dealer walnut blast my Hyundai’s.

7 speed dual clutch is correct.
walnut blasting was around way before gdi. bmw did it back in the 80's. i remember it well. also, back in the 90's, i attended a seminar by bosch and gm about gdi. there was a lot said back then about the carbon problem. many of us believe that in the end, the car manufacturers dont want people to keep their cars a long time. they want them to buy new cars. hence the downplay on long term effects of gdi.

·
Registered
85 Posts
So would the noisy valves be covered under the powertrain warranty? I'm at 88k on my 2016 and if it is I want to get it done asap.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Hello all,

That does not look too good for 50k miles. What kind of oil and have you used on this car since new?

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Hmm, our 2015 Sport 2.4L has started to have some valve chatter that I am going to ask the dealer about when I take it in for the parking brake recall.
Only gets Costco or Mobil gas, both Top Tier fuels.
So would the noisy valves be covered under the powertrain warranty? I'm at 88k on my 2016 and if it is I want to get it done asap.
When aer you guys hearing this,on start up?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hello all,

Cdk381,

Although I mostly live in Mt. Dora, I always take my two Sonatas to OH, 30 miles from me. Seeing as how you are in the Orlando area, you know OH. I only have my cars serviced at OH because they have the best Service Technician (Mark L) I know of, and I trust him implicitly. I have a dealer much closer to me in Leesburg and many others equal distance from me, but I only have Mark service both my Sonatas (and the Genesis I once owned). If you have your ECO serviced at another of the many area Hyundai dealers, try OH and ask for Technician Mark.

·
Registered
689 Posts
warranty didn't cover mine. Dealership told me to use a few tanks of higher octane gas or pay them couple hundred bucks to do some sort of special engine cleaning service

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
warranty didn't cover mine. Dealership told me to use a few tanks of higher octane gas or pay them couple hundred bucks to do some sort of special engine cleaning service
I would have gone to another dealer and if they didn't help I would have been on the phone with Hyundai.
That is a good way to lose a customer forever.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Post a copy of the receipt.

Miles? maintenance history? fuels used... brand/grade? oil used... brand/grade/interval?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes I had a loaner. It started to feel like I bought the darn thing!

The Eco does have a DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission) and the CVVT stands for (Continuously Variable Valve Timing). The car has gotten Castrol Edge Synthetic oil changes every 7500 miles, I live in Florida and drive mostly highway. Literal paradise conditions for a car. I use regular 87 gas usually and supplement with Techron fuel system cleaners per dealer recommendation. Didn't help in the slightest since I only made it 50k miles before major overhaul was required.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts