Hyundai Forums banner

2015 camshaft position sensor

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  smcclain03 
#1 ·
Hello all. I'm new here. I have searched all over the internet the past couple of weeks and have yet to find my answer. Hopefully y'all can help.
I have a 2015 Hyundai Sonata Sport 2.4L and I used my scan tool to see what's going on. (ECM illuminated). Gave me the generic code P0010 and said it's the camshaft position actuator bank 1. So my questions are, do these models have more than one sensor? If so, where is bank 1?? (I'm hoping in the front). These sensors are hard to find in my area, the dealership didn't even stock them.. I did find one today though. I really do not want to pay the dealership 300 bucks to diagnose the issue and replace a sensor that I can do myself. Please help me! I need to change this part out tomorrow and don't have the extra money to pay a mechanic, let alone the dealership. If this doesn't solve my issue, then I'll have to dig further and spend money I don't have. Thanks!

#5 ·
I agree.. but how do I test for such?
I'm no mechanic, but my last car (2006 Acura TL) I have become somewhat knowledgable. Not for Hyundai tho. When the Acura was acting up, I hooked the scanner to it. It told me what it was a coil pack (3). I believed it, replaced it, along with all new spark plugs and problem solved.
Not sure about Hyundai.. that's why I'm in need of help.

#8 ·
It seems there are problems with the oil seal they talk about in the bulletin leaking oil into the E-CVVT cover and contaminating the brushes/slip rings. So taking that cover off and checking for oil ingress would seem like a sensible first step. But from what I read in the bulletin you need to remove the engine mount in order to remove the cover so you'd need to decide if that is something your able to do DIY. If supporting the weight of the engine and removing the mount is beyond your capabilities you should take the car to a garage for diagnosis/repair.

There are a couple of photos of a cover with oil ingress on this thread --> FYI- HYUNDAI ENGINE LAWSUIT NAMES 2015-16 2.0l & 2.4l SONATA, TUCSON AND SANTA FE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.