Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
The Lap3 is a good improvement. Best cost/HP mod. I didn’t want to run it maxed out on the 93octane setting as this Sonata is my daily. And I do not plan on playing around or tuning with it.

It does fall on its face after about 5.5k rpms tho. Meaning, it pulls well up till that point then just levels off dramatically. No point in going past 6k rpms.

I was torn between the Lap3 and the JB4 because I had experience with Burger on my old 535. Ultimately the ease of install and just ‘set it and forget it’ is what won me over. I’d say do it :)
I’ve been debating on the two and the JB4 just seems to have much more online support thru their forums and frequent updates, whereas the Protuner seems locked in at what it is and that’s it. Plus i dont have any android devices and dont want to be forced to buy one cuz they dont support iOS. Still think i prefer the Protuner, but it is lacking some huge things that the JB4 provides.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yeah the JB4 is a great platform for tuning, but I found the rabbit hole to be endless. If you want to go all out then the JB4 will support you the whole way. But at least for me and this car, the Lap3 is enough to be content.

·
Registered
411 Posts
FYI: I'm on the Kia platform and use the TruHart struts/shocks but with Eibach Pro-Kit Sonata springs (purchased slightly used). I get a great ride, a lowered look and no issues. I've run this setup for at least 40K miles now with no issues.

FYI2: I also run the LAP3USA ECU tune (Stage 1.5+) and I highly recommend it as well!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Just to clarify, what LAP3 product you using? Unclechip, Protuner V1, V2, etc? Not sure what else they got lol @TwoPointSlow

·
Registered
751 Posts
Sorry. It's the Lap3 Uncle Chip from the K5optimaStore.
Ahh got it, im looking at either Protuner V2 for $1000+ or JB4. The better performance of the Protuner is enticingbut idk about another $500-$600 more enticing than a JB4..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I got the Lap3 UncleChip from the K5 store when it was still $471, so I just lucked out. I'd say that is more like the JB+ rather than the full JB4. Although I don't think they make the JB+ for Kia/Hyundai. The UncleChip is pretty entry level, but, I'm pretty much done now after chip, intake, plugs, catch can...

In the past I've had both the JB+ and JB4 on my old 2008 BMW 535 with N54 twin turbos. It was great. The JB4 was the best investment I made to that car.

Now that I've got 3 kids and need a reliable daily driver, the UncleChip was enough to make the Sonata feel 'quick' and keep my drives into work fun.

·
Registered
751 Posts
SJ408 unless something has changed the Lapp3 Protuner wont work on a 2019 because there is no CANBUS port.

See this thread , posts 15 and 16 Lap 3 releases time for LF 2.0
I got some news for you sir, they did actually release a 2018+ version of the V2 with an ODBII port vs the CANBUS port. I think they released it half a year ago-ish?
I got the Lap3 UncleChip from the K5 store when it was still $471, so I just lucked out. I'd say that is more like the JB+ rather than the full JB4. Although I don't think they make the JB+ for Kia/Hyundai. The UncleChip is pretty entry level, but, I'm pretty much done now after chip, intake, plugs, catch can...

In the past I've had both the JB+ and JB4 on my old 2008 BMW 535 with N54 twin turbos. It was great. The JB4 was the best investment I made to that car.

Now that I've got 3 kids and need a reliable daily driver, the UncleChip was enough to make the Sonata feel 'quick' and keep my drives into work fun.
Im not toooo informed on the JB4 vs JB+; what’s the biggest differences between the two?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I got some news for you sir, they did actually release a 2018+ version of the V2 with an ODBII port vs the CANBUS port. I think they released it half a year ago-ish?
Thats good news, I had not seen any information on it but remembered that previous thread where the member ended up returning the product.

Im leaning to the JB 4 if I make the leap.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
It was either the JB+... Or the JB4... Not both. Sorry that sentence didn't look right before.

JB+ was just an in-line sensor piggyback. You would adjust with a pot inside the housing. I don't see that Burger offers that for Hyundai/Kia.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts