Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a CPO 2015 2.0T Limited a couple of weeks ago. When I test drove it, there was no out of the ordinary engine noise. By the time I got it back home (about 80 miles), that had changed. I haven't had a chance to take it in to the dealership yet but I'm curious if anyone here has experience this sound coming from their engine. You can hear it in this short clip:

https://streamable.com/ewv4p

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not a knock but probably from the pump.
Interesting. Now I'm in 85-95 degree weather so that's a bit different than the video and it's not just on cold starts, it's all the time.

Actually, the only time I can think of it going away is when I rev the engine and then take the foot off the gas. Momentarily as the RPMs are dropping it seems to go away and then it comes back. I've only tested this myself (from inside) so I don't know how it sounds directly at the engine. Also, this is different than just driving with high RPMs, where the noise is always there.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Here's after warm up:
Hot or cold, not a knock but probably the pump and/or injectors.
Great engineering!!!!!!!!

My 2.0T actually pretty quiet, cold or hot.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Speculation aside, is your car still under warranty? Take it to the dealership and have them check around. That would’ve been the first thing I did for a car I JUST bought a couple weeks ago that’s making an abnormal sound.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,644 Posts
My 2017 Sport 2.0T bought new May 2017 now has 42,000 miles on it using Mobil 1 oil and Hyundai Filters and does not produce any unusal noises similar to your sound clip.

Take it back ASAP, you paid for a CPO it is covered

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
My 2017 Sport 2.0T bought new May 2017 now has 42,000 miles on it using Mobil 1 oil and Hyundai Filters and does not produce any unusal noises similar to your sound clip.

Take it back ASAP, you paid for a CPO it is covered

If it's the high pressure fuel pump it wouldn't matter what kind of oil/filter you use.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Speculation aside, is your car still under warranty? Take it to the dealership and have them check around. That would’ve been the first thing I did for a car I JUST bought a couple weeks ago that’s making an abnormal sound.
Yes, it is CPO so it should be covered and I'm going to take it in. I'm a little skeptical of dealerships so I wanted to get people's takes here as well :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yes, it is CPO so it should be covered and I'm going to take it in. I'm a little skeptical of dealerships so I wanted to get people's takes here as well :)

Gottttcha. I only ask because I bought a 2015 2.4L (non-CPO, sadly) back in March(?) this year that was well out of Hyundai’s warranty and by the end of the work week with my commute, I was outside of the dealer’s 30/1000 warranty too lmao.

I hope it all gets sorted out!

·
Registered
689 Posts
it's only really noticeable if you have the hood open and you are standing right next to the engine.

if you listen to accords and CRV's, the ticking on their engine is even louder.

I'm very surprised people consider this normal. It's an awful sound. I would never have bought the car if it had made this sound during the test drive.

·
Registered
258 Posts
it's only really noticeable if you have the hood open and you are standing right next to the engine.

True hahah, especially on the K24Ws and K24Z6 (9th gen Accords and 4th & 5th gen CRVs). The tick is a bit higher pitched and not as “bold” as it is on the Hyundai motor though. There’s a bit of ticking on my 09 Accord (8th gen) but nowhere near as present as it is on the latter generations

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

No, maybe the sound isn't coming through as well as I'd like on the video but I first heard the noise with the hood down. And I can hear it from inside the car. It was definitely NOT there when I test drove it and it wasn't there on the other 2 cars I test drove. I test drove all 3 cars in 100 degree temps and it was misery driving with no A/C but you need to do that to find those unexpected noises.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Sounds normal....reinstall the engine cover/muffler and turn up the radio.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts